• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Notice of Thread/Post Moderation A place where moderators describe action

#201 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-August-28, 11:12

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-August-28, 10:32, said:

I applaud the concept and wish you luck with this. The post you chose to move as a start was unfortunate, IMO. Partner of opening leader gave seemingly conflicting signals on the continuation of the suit led; and the answer to this oddity might not be found in a simple lesson on the general application of suit preference ---thus possibly requiring some A/E thinking.

I agree.

I have a difficult time sometimes, since I'm (I think) at the low end of the advanced camp, but still out of the intermediate camp. This puts me at the lower end of forum regs, and I understand that. But I really don't think the post you moved was B/I material. The fact that several forum regs have come up with different analyses of the situation (and that your own analysis was not what played out at the table -- and those guys aren't slouches) suggests that there's something to talk about here. But disagreements are healthy, and I'm not offended or anything that you thought my question didn't merit a/e discussion -- we just have a differing opinion.

But I definitely support keeping the subforums "pure," and I applaud your commitment (which is substantial) to reading the posts and trying to archive them appropriately.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#202 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-28, 18:49

I imagine Ben will get a lot of grief for his choices and possibly scrap the idea. I also imagine Ben will use excellent judgement and only move things he thinks are clear, but maybe he will be wrong every now and then. The biggest problem in theory is that it gives Ben too much power when he's just one person (I imagine if I was a mod I'd incorrectly move one at some point).

That said, if Ben is willing to deal with the inevitable grief, it will help the forums a lot even if he gets one wrong every now and then, and after years of dealing with Ben I know he is not about his ego or power tripping so there is no chance of abuse of power or anything with this move. Hopefully people won't get offended and hate him, and will cut him some slack if he moves one that's debatable.

BTW I realize it often seems like I am sucking up to Ben. For my history with Ben, realize that I have forced him to ban me before despite him being reasonable, been in many e-fights with him, hated him for like a year, and finally after a lot of time have realized that mods of any forum like Ben are rare and have come to appreciate him quite a bit. I am not the type to just flatter someone, but Ben I have a lot of faith in Ben a a mod.

#203 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-August-28, 20:00

I bitched about a mod being able to unilaterally ban a member, but I don't see any problem with them being able to unilaterally move threads. There are enough forums (2/1, Interesting Hands, etc.) that can house threads without having to move them to B/I, so there really shouldn't be any big deal here.

#204 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-August-29, 01:49

I also think it's a good initiative, although I wouldn't put everything in "general bridge discussion". Sometimes it belongs in sayc/2/1, sometimes it can be an interesting bridge hand. This can be intuitive, so won't waste a lot of time.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#205 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-September-04, 10:29

A thread in General Bridge was edited to remove name of a bbo player used in a negative light (TOS violation) and the entire thread was moved to BBO software suggestion forum. One subsequent post in that thread by the OP was deleted as editing out the player name there left it nonsensical.
--Ben--

#206 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2011-September-06, 15:32

Duplicate thread dealing with acbl and laws had one deleted, and the other thread moved from general bridge thingee to laws and ruling forum.
--Ben--

#207 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2011-September-23, 10:12

An unintentional duplicate post with no replies was deleted from the GIB forum. The second version of this post did have replies and was not deleted. Policy will be to delete these in the future without comment in this thread, and if both post have replies, move the replies from the one to be deleted to the other duplicate post prior to deletion.
--Ben--

#208 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2011-September-25, 20:52

New member made two spam post today. The post have been deleted, the spammer has been banned. Thanks to everyone reporting these spam thingees...
--Ben--

#209 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2011-October-19, 19:12

I'm back, bet you didn't even know I was gone, thanks to the excellent job done by other moderators. I was away since Oct 3 (road trip through several states including and surrounding yellowstone national park).

Anyway, as far as I can tell, while I was gone, the following threads have been modified or changed.

The title of one thread was changed from the 2001 world championships to the correct 2011.

One post was moved from Advanced/Expert to general bridge forum

The thread "annoying posts: why do they happen?" was moved from somewhere to the water cooler forum. In addition, one extremely annoying reply by hrothgar in that thread by was deleted by an administrator (I agree with the choice). A possible side effect (based solely on timing) is it seems that hrothgar may have resigned from these forums because of this deletion of his annoying post in that thread. If so, that is a shame, but if I to administer that thread, I would have probably not only have deleted the reply someone else did, but I would have edited at least one other post in that thread which looks like it was not edited.

There may have been some other tweeks while I was gone, but these are the ones I know about.
--Ben--

#210 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-October-20, 01:35

Ofcourse we noticed that you were away Ben, too much trash in A/E... ;)
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#211 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2011-October-30, 10:01

One thread allegedly showing impolite chat from a bbo member was deleted. Thanks to everyone reporting that one. In addition, a few threads were moved out of the adv/exp forum, a few more probably should be moved.
--Ben--

#212 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2011-November-01, 10:02

Five post were deleted from the "one last plea for downvoting" thread. It was the start of a flame war posted by one member, whose FYP snide remark was reported to the moderators by a few members. The object of the flame war made a reasonable reply (which was deleted as well, because of subsequent post) and then three others jumped in to attack the original FYP flame war starter.
--Ben--

#213 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-01, 10:37

Could you elaborate on how that comment was inflammatory? Is there some history between those two posters or something?

#214 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-November-01, 11:20

View PostAntrax, on 2011-November-01, 10:37, said:

Could you elaborate on how that comment was inflammatory? Is there some history between those two posters or something?
Yes, there is; Ben is trying to prevent a replay.

#215 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-01, 11:47

Thanks. It certainly felt like I was missing something.

#216 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-November-01, 15:29

looks like I missed some fun times

#217 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-November-01, 21:16

Maybe Ben could undelete them long enough for us to enjoy :rolleyes:
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#218 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-November-01, 21:43

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-November-01, 21:16, said:

Maybe Ben could undelete them long enough for us to enjoy :rolleyes:

I have a book I'm saving. PM me for details.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#219 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2011-November-02, 18:05

thread with info to identify a player a new poster was claiming was cheating was edited to remove information that might help identify who was accused. The thread was moved to suggestion for software.
--Ben--

#220 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-November-02, 23:01

View Postinquiry, on 2011-November-02, 18:05, said:

thread with info to identify a player a new poster was claiming was cheating was edited to remove information that might help identify who was accused. The thread was moved to suggestion for software.

the OP is quoted later in that thread, incidentally
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

• 44 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users