BBO Discussion Forums: Official BBO Hijacked Thread Thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 203 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Official BBO Hijacked Thread Thread No, it's not about that

#3961 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2022-July-15, 09:29

View Posty66, on 2022-July-15, 08:17, said:

Very cool and heartwarming to see Tiger Woods getting such a tremendous ovation as he walked up 18 at St. Andrews today. Who can forget how he played here in 2000 as he was setting the golf world on fire?

I'm wondering what Nicklaus thinks now of his endorsement of Trump in 2020. I would consider that his 19th major (screw up).
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3962 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-18, 17:33

Fun read: How a Public School in Florida Built America’s Greatest Math Team
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#3963 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-July-18, 20:03

Also: This Pioneering Economist Says Our Obsession With Growth Must End
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#3964 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-21, 09:17

I see that the predicted high temperature in San Franciso today is 65 degrees F.
At one time we went to SF to visit Fisherman's Wharf or the City Lights Bookstore and maybe (well, not me) to wear a flower in our hair. Now SF is one of the few places in the country where we can step outside without getting baked. My grandson is coming up for a visit from Austin Texas, where the predicted high is 105. Here, near Baltimore, they are predicting 95 and sunny. Much better than 105, but I still decided I can wait a bit before mowing the grass. Maybe at twilight. And maybe not.
Ken

#3965 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-July-21, 12:51

View Postkenberg, on 2022-July-21, 09:17, said:

I see that the predicted high temperature in San Franciso today is 65 degrees F.
At one time we went to SF to visit Fisherman's Wharf or the City Lights Bookstore and maybe (well, not me) to wear a flower in our hair. Now SF is one of the few places in the country where we can step outside without getting baked. My grandson is coming up for a visit from Austin Texas, where the predicted high is 105. Here, near Baltimore, they are predicting 95 and sunny. Much better than 105, but I still decided I can wait a bit before mowing the grass. Maybe at twilight. And maybe not.

I was going through some old books this morning and considered donating my copy of Ferlinghetti's "Pictures of the gone world" to my library's book sale. Decided to hold onto it a while longer.

You mentioned the possibility of moving on the other thread, perhaps not seriously. It's a fun problem to think about. SF is ideal in many ways but the world is catching up with it. I met a guy who spends April-Nov at a place he and his wife restored on the coast of Maine and the other 4 months in a detached apartment at his son-in-law's place in New Mexico. Some variation of that plan appeals to me. Not easy to escape inertia or the comforts of a familiar place.

It's only 90 F here. I'm heading out shortly to cut some grass. Will stop after 20 minutes or so and do the rest -- another 20 minutes -- another day or perhaps at twilight.

#3966 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-July-21, 12:57

"The Changing Light" by Lawrence Ferlinghetti (1919-2021)

The changing light at San Francisco
is none of your East Coast light
none of your
pearly light of Paris
The light of San Francisco
is a sea light
an island light
And the light of fog
blanketing the hills
drifting in at night
through the Golden Gate
to lie on the city at dawn
And then the halcyon late mornings
after the fog burns off
and the sun paints white houses
with the sea light of Greece
with sharp clean shadows
making the town look like
it had just been painted
But the wind comes up at four o’clock
sweeping the hills
And then the veil of light of early evening
And then another scrim
when the new night fog
floats in
And in that vale of light
the city drifts
anchorless upon the ocean

From "How to Paint Sunlight"

#3967 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-21, 15:43

View Posty66, on 2022-July-21, 12:57, said:

"The Changing Light" by Lawrence Ferlinghetti (1919-2021)

The changing light at San Francisco
is none of your East Coast light
none of your
pearly light of Paris
The light of San Francisco
is a sea light
an island light
And the light of fog
blanketing the hills
drifting in at night
through the Golden Gate
to lie on the city at dawn
And then the halcyon late mornings
after the fog burns off
and the sun paints white houses
with the sea light of Greece
with sharp clean shadows
making the town look like
it had just been painted
But the wind comes up at four o'clock
sweeping the hills
And then the veil of light of early evening
And then another scrim
when the new night fog
floats in
And in that vale of light
the city drifts
anchorless upon the ocean

From "How to Paint Sunlight"

He sounds like an Englishman - discussing the weather until your ears bleed.

#3968 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2022-July-22, 05:33

View Postpilowsky, on 2022-July-21, 15:43, said:

He sounds like an Englishman - discussing the weather until your ears bleed.

If a guy wants to write a poem that appreciatively describes a city it's hard to do better. I don't much know poetry but in my post I did mention the City Lights bookstore, this poem is by Lawrence Ferlinghetti, so it fits.

My wife Becky lived in SF during her adolescence, that being during the early to mid-1960s. A good time to be there, and more affordable than now. I lived for a few months in Berkeley in the 70s and enjoyed it. The Pacific coast has a lot to like. I still like St. Paul/Minneapolis, that's where I grew up. I am now in Maryland, my daughters live in Maryland, I expect I'll stay in Maryland. All in all, I think the Pacific Ocean is more interesting than the Atlantic Ocean, but that's not enough to make me move.
Ken

#3969 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2022-July-22, 07:10

I am firmly of the conviction that no one likes poetry but most people can find a poem or a poet to like,
I like this one y66 posted. Thanks.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3970 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2022-July-29, 11:57

I recently saw a doctor who in his summary of the visit described me as a well-nourished male. I like that, very tactful.
Ken

#3971 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-August-02, 03:06

View Postkenberg, on 2022-July-22, 05:33, said:

If a guy wants to write a poem that appreciatively describes a city it's hard to do better. I don't much know poetry but in my post I did mention the City Lights bookstore, this poem is by Lawrence Ferlinghetti, so it fits.

My wife All in all, I think the Pacific Ocean is more interesting than the Atlantic Ocean, but that's not enough to make me move.

I don't want to sound like a smartass but I'm curious about why. The currents perhaps?

I think I am with you but it's a bit hard on the Atlantic

#3972 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2022-August-02, 07:06

View Postthepossum, on 2022-August-02, 03:06, said:

I don't want to sound like a smartass but I'm curious about why. The currents perhaps?

I think I am with you but it's a bit hard on the Atlantic

You got me thinking and yes, I might be being unfair to the Atlantic. I very much like the Maine coast. Most of my experience with the Pacific has been in Oregon or Washington. So maybe I just prefer the more northerly parts of both oceans. Still, I do like the coastal area around San Francisco. That's still reasonably north. The Atlantic along the Delmarva Peninsula is ok, the Pacific along LA is ok, the north is better for me with both oceans.

As mentioned, I grew up in St. Paul. I also am genetically Norwegian. Toronto is one of my favorite cities. Seattle is another. And growing up in Minneapolis-St. Paul was great. Skate and sled in the winter, swim and bike in the summer, go to some physics and math lectures at the U as an adolescent. I can't fully explain it, but I just seem to like the north. With kids and grandkids mostly in or near Maryland (but a grandson is now in Texas) we probably won't be moving. But if we were to move, I am pretty sure Becky agrees that we would move north rather than move south. Becky went through her adolescence in San Francisco, not far from Haight Asbury, but she likes Minnesota and has now even been ice fishing.

So anyway, yep, maybe it's the northern areas of both coasts that I prefer.
Ken

#3973 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-August-02, 15:00

re: I can't fully explain it, but I just seem to like the north

Have you ever been to Norway?

#3974 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-August-02, 16:24

I recall hearing Garrison Keillor remarking that he visited Norway to get back to his roots.
He visited a restaurant with a friend and during the meal some food became stuck in his throat causing him to choke and cough violently.
The couple at the next table complimented him on his accent.

Thinking back to the way he told the story, Ken's writing now makes much more sense.

#3975 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2022-August-02, 17:25

It’s a small world after all, it’s a small world after all, it’s a small world after all, it’s a small small world. 🎺🎼🪕🎷

#3976 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2022-August-02, 18:31

View Posty66, on 2022-August-02, 15:00, said:

re: I can't fully explain it, but I just seem to like the north

Have you ever been to Norway?

No I haven't. If you live in Minnesota Norway comes to you.
Ken

#3977 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2022-August-02, 19:18

View Postpilowsky, on 2022-August-02, 16:24, said:

I recall hearing Garrison Keillor remarking that he visited Norway to get back to his roots.
He visited a restaurant with a friend and during the meal some food became stuck in his throat causing him to choke and cough violently.
The couple at the next table complimented him on his accent.

Thinking back to the way he told the story, Ken's writing now makes much more sense.

Well, if it helps it helps!

Mentioning Norway was one of those casual thoughts. Possum asked about my preference for the Pacific, I realized that really I preferred the northern shores of both the Atlantic and the Pacific and then I thought well maybe Norwegian genes play a role. If so, probably not much. Roots? I think it is useful for kids to know about the lives of their parents and maybe a bit about grandparents but that's about as far back as my root interests go.

I'll work on why a story by Garrison Keeler helps you make sense of what I write. Or it can be a mystery. Hey, I always make sense!

Maybe I will go to Norway. Looks beautiful. But not to find my roots. I am pretty sure I would like it there.

One more thought about roots. I am reading Apples Never Fall All 400+ pages of it. A very interesting novel.

Ken

#3978 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2022-August-02, 20:22

View Postkenberg, on 2022-August-02, 19:18, said:

Well, if it helps it helps!

Mentioning Norway was one of those casual thoughts. Possum asked about my preference for the Pacific, I realized that really I preferred the northern shores of both the Atlantic and the Pacific and then I thought well maybe Norwegian genes play a role. If so, probably not much. Roots? I think it is useful for kids to know about the lives of their parents and maybe a bit about grandparents but that's about as far back as my root interests go.

I'll work on why a story by Garrison Keeler helps you make sense of what I write. Or it can be a mystery. Hey, I always make sense!

Maybe I will go to Norway. Looks beautiful. But not to find my roots. I am pretty sure I would like it there.

One more thought about roots. I am reading Apples Never Fall All 400+ pages of it. A very interesting novel.

I do recommend a visit to Norway!

My mom's dad came to the US (Minnesota, of course) at age 19 and at 30 married my grandmother (she was 20), whose folks had emigrated to a farming community near Alexandria MN. I remember my grandfather telling me that Molde, Norway is the most beautiful city in the world. I know for a fact that he had not been to every city in the world, but I agree that Molde certainly must be very high on that list! And the whole country has beautiful scenery.

If you do visit, be sure to take one of the Hurtigruten cruises down the coast--especially fun around the summer solstice!
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#3979 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2022-August-03, 08:26

View PostPassedOut, on 2022-August-02, 20:22, said:

I do recommend a visit to Norway!

My mom's dad came to the US (Minnesota, of course) at age 19 and at 30 married my grandmother (she was 20), whose folks had emigrated to a farming community near Alexandria MN. I remember my grandfather telling me that Molde, Norway is the most beautiful city in the world. I know for a fact that he had not been to every city in the world, but I agree that Molde certainly must be very high on that list! And the whole country has beautiful scenery.

If you do visit, be sure to take one of the Hurtigruten cruises down the coast--especially fun around the summer solstice!

We will give this some thought. Until the covid problem recedes, both Becky and I are reluctant to get on a plane. I looked up Alexandria MN. When we start traveling again, for distances where we get on a plane, our first trip is likely to be to Minnesota. We have friends back there (going back to the early 1950s for me, friends through marriage for Becky). I don't promise to include Alexandria but then again why not? The Wik says the record high temperature there is 104, the record low is -38. The latter surprises no one the former often does. Becky and I once got off the plane in Minneapolis when it was 100 degrees, requiring at least some changes to our plans.

Anyway, Norway is definitely on the radar. But I have been thinking of England. They more or less speak the same language, easy to get around and so on. But I'm still young, I can cope with language issues. We are very ready to go somewhere. We both like Paris, who doesn't? But maybe Norway. First Minnesota. Thanks for the notes about Molde and the Hurtigruten cruise.
Ken

#3980 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2022-August-03, 15:12

View Postkenberg, on 2022-August-03, 08:26, said:

We will give this some thought. Until the covid problem recedes, both Becky and I are reluctant to get on a plane. I looked up Alexandria MN. When we start traveling again, for distances where we get on a plane, our first trip is likely to be to Minnesota. We have friends back there (going back to the early 1950s for me, friends through marriage for Becky). I don't promise to include Alexandria but then again why not? The Wik says the record high temperature there is 104, the record low is -38. The latter surprises no one the former often does. Becky and I once got off the plane in Minneapolis when it was 100 degrees, requiring at least some changes to our plans.

Anyway, Norway is definitely on the radar. But I have been thinking of England. They more or less speak the same language, easy to get around and so on. But I'm still young, I can cope with language issues. We are very ready to go somewhere. We both like Paris, who doesn't? But maybe Norway. First Minnesota. Thanks for the notes about Molde and the Hurtigruten cruise.

Before going to Norway, I always practice some Norwegian phrases, but it seems that almost everyone there speaks English and likes to practice. Another feature is that the Norwegian public transportation system is first rate. The train ride from Oslo to Trondheim, for example, is comfortable with great scenic views, and Trondheim has some impressive historical sights.

(No, I'm not getting paid to extol Norway--I just like it there!)

There are other great places to visit around the world too, and I wish more Americans would travel abroad to get a better perspective on what other people have been able to accomplish -- even after terrible wars.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

• 203 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

12 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users