BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1074 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#5061 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-March-03, 15:13

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-March-02, 15:03, said:

Having worked in the health industry, I have always found it ironic that Sarah Palin put forth the concept of government "death panels" as something new when there already is an insurance company death panel: the board of directors.

So, when it comes to that $1 million treatment for cancer, would you rather have the government decide if it is necessary or do you trust Wall Street to make that decision?

If you believe in healthcare as a right, then neither insurance company board of directors nor Wall Street nor the government should make that decision. It should be a decision between the doctor and the patient. Bureaucrats are just as likely to make arbitrary and poor decisions as businessmen. If you don't believe that, then maybe you should take a look at the VA.

#5062 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-March-03, 15:35

View Postrmnka447, on 2017-March-03, 15:13, said:

If you believe in healthcare as a right, then neither insurance company board of directors nor Wall Street nor the government should make that decision. It should be a decision between the doctor and the patient. Bureaucrats are just as likely to make arbitrary and poor decisions as businessmen. If you don't believe that, then maybe you should take a look at the VA.

Maybe you should talk to doctors (as I have) who work in Canada where medical decisions are made by doctors and patients.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#5063 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2017-March-03, 16:00

View Postrmnka447, on 2017-March-03, 14:18, said:

You forget to mention that in order to make ACA work, they cut Medicare by $786MM in reduced payments for services so the funds could be diverted to help fund ACA.

That's not correct.

The ACA cut subsidies to the Medicare Advantage plans set up by private insurers to compete with Medicare. Those subsidies originally had been intended to be temporary to allow the companies to ramp up against the existing government Medicare program. Once established, though, the private insurers then insisted that eliminating those subsidies would put them out of business against the more efficient government program.

In fact, the subsidies have not been cut by the amounts originally projected. Instead, congress eliminated subsidies to insurers in the health insurance exchanges, subsidies that had been earmarked by the ACA to protect insurers against losses, thereby undermining the ACA (as congress intended to do). That's why some insurers are dropping out of the exchanges.

The private Medicare Advantage plans are still going strong, taking profits from the payments to Medicare.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#5064 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-March-03, 17:39

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-March-03, 15:35, said:

Maybe you should talk to doctors (as I have) who work in Canada where medical decisions are made by doctors and patients.

Which means what?

I'm sure we'd all love to hear what you've heard about this from them. I'm under the impression that Canada has been held up by some as an example of how healthcare should work.

#5065 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-March-03, 17:47

View Postrmnka447, on 2017-March-03, 17:39, said:

Which means what?

I'm sure we'd all love to hear what you've heard about this from them. I'm under the impression that Canada has been held up by some as an example of how healthcare should work.

The doctors I've talked to who worked in Canada loved the system as it removed the pay-for-services model of U.S. medicine and replaced it with a doctor/patient care model. In that system, there was no reward for the doctors to order unnecessary tests nor restrictions on necessary tests.

Note, this was only the doctors' viewpoint and did not have anything to do with affordability to the government.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#5066 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2017-March-03, 17:54

View Postldrews, on 2017-March-02, 08:08, said:

There seem to be funding problems associated with all of the US attempts to provide health care. Since other western nations seem to be able to handle the problem it is obvious that the US is missing something, or there is something in the US system that precludes a straight forward solution. What is it?

Maybe it is because the USA provides the defense of the entire western world.

#5067 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-March-03, 18:24

View Postjogs, on 2017-March-03, 17:54, said:

Which I think the USA should stop doing.

#5068 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-March-03, 23:00

View Postbarmar, on 2017-March-02, 13:06, said:

Yes, a big part of the problem is the profit motive throughout the medical industry. This in general distorts incentives for manufacturers and providers. It means that drug makers don't want to invest in cures for rare conditions, because there won't be enough sales to recover the costs. It means that hospitals encourage doctors to order more tests, but insurance companies discourage them (because they're footing the bills). I'm sure we've all heard horror stories of patients not getting necessary treatment, because their insurance company refused to pay.

Basic health care should not be market-driven, it should be a right of all citizens.

I think you hit the nail on the head if health care is not market driven......who or what drives it?

At this point your post does not answer that.

The alternative is a KING/Queen drives it.

today I just read an opinion piece in my local paper that makes your point...markets should not drive medicare

Medicare is and continues to be a godsend for many many people...don't make it market driven, make it a right

#5069 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-March-03, 23:06

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-March-03, 17:47, said:

The doctors I've talked to who worked in Canada loved the system as it removed the pay-for-services model of U.S. medicine and replaced it with a doctor/patient care model. In that system, there was no reward for the doctors to order unnecessary tests nor restrictions on necessary tests.

Note, this was only the doctors' viewpoint and did not have anything to do with affordability to the government.

As jWinston points out if the docs love that should be enough....I just would like to hear more from these docs

not sure how to get rid of all of these "unecessary tests"....I married into a family...a large Irish law family that makes money on both sides of the issue, both sides

perhaps and this is only a guess, not proof.....tech, robots....etc

see Watson as an early first step

http://www.ibm.com/d...tson/index.html

#5070 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-March-03, 23:16

View Postrmnka447, on 2017-March-03, 15:13, said:

NOt sure why you limit the decision to only two people.....both docs and patients are prone to errors, now you suggest we add the errors

Taleb discusses this GOD(doctor\patient) issue in more depth in his books.

When we are sick, really really sick we don't really like to hear just how little docs know as a matter of science about our illness

We don't really like to hear bout the mistakes our docs or our local hospitals make on a daily basis.

basic mistakes such as spreading illness from room to room....

Taleb does a good job discussing this issue.

#5071 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-March-03, 23:28

View Postldrews, on 2017-March-03, 18:24, said:

Which I think the USA should stop doing.

old question but still valid...if not your family and my family ...then whose?

#5072 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-04, 06:37

From Vox Sentences:

When Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself from election-related investigations Thursday, he reiterated that he had met with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak only in his capacity as a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee. Except on Thursday night, the Wall Street Journal reported that Sessions used campaign funds to attend the Republican National Committee in Cleveland, where he met with Kislyak. [WSJ / Paul Sonne, Rebecca Ballhaus, and Carol E. Lee]

The funds revelation, combined with the coincidence of Sessions's conversations with Kislyak and major shifts in his own and Trump's positions on Russia, certainly calls into question the idea that this was exclusively a matter of Senate business. [Vox / Matt Yglesias]

Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee have asked that Sessions be told to testify again to explain himself. Judiciary Committee Chair Chuck Grassley (R-IA) isn't playing ball. [The Hill / Jordain Carney]

The Trump administration maintains that Trump himself wasn't involved in any of these contacts. Trump's response has been to tweet, from both his and the official @POTUS Twitter accounts, photos of leading congressional Democrats meeting with Kislyak and "demanding" that the Democrats be investigated. [Vox / German Lopez]

(The fact that the president does not appear to be serious when he says he demands an investigation into his political opponents is not comforting! But apparently trolling as diplomacy is a thing now; in response to a meme in which Sarah Jessica Parker's character from Sex and the City is pictured musing why everyone is meeting with the Russian ambassador but her, the official Ministry of Foreign Affairs Twitter account posted, "Sarah, if you want it so much, we can help you meet Russian Ambassador.") [Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation via Twitter]

But Trump should maybe not be so cavalier about this. On Thursday, former campaign aide J.D. Gordon claimed that Trump had personally asked to change the language in the Republican platform to take a softer stance on Russia's invasion of Ukraine. The Trump campaign had earlier denied Trump's involvement; if the president asked the language to be changed to be friendlier to Russia, and then lied about it, that's not a good thing. [TPM / Allegra Kirkland]

This New Yorker story Trump, Putin and the New Cold War -- What lay behind Russia’s interference in the 2016 election—and what lies ahead? makes the case that Russia's "active measures", which no reasonable analyst considers to have played a dominant role in the ascent of Trump and nationalist politicians in Europe, are an increasingly effective tool for creating "turbulence" in the West. Not news, of course, but still an interesting read.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#5073 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-March-04, 07:02

View Postmike777, on 2017-March-03, 23:00, said:

I think you hit the nail on the head if health care is not market driven......who or what drives it?

At this point your post does not answer that.

The alternative is a KING/Queen drives it.

today I just read an opinion piece in my local paper that makes your point...markets should not drive medicare

Medicare is and continues to be a godsend for many many people...don't make it market driven, make it a right

What drives healthcare is the same thing that drives all human behavior - interest and need. Advances in research are made by people who have a fascination with their subject and inquisitive minds. Not everyone on the planet is looking to become the next billionaire.

Kings and Queens or markets are not necessary to motivate an inquisitive mind.

#5074 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-March-04, 07:11

View Postjogs, on 2017-March-03, 17:54, said:

The troops taking back Mosul from ISIS are from Iraq. NATO still helps to protect Europe. Sweden just re-instituted its draft because of increased Russian aggression.

The U.S. leads the West and spends too much IMO on defense, but we are not the sole defense for the western world.

#5075 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-04, 11:05

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-March-04, 07:11, said:

The troops taking back Mosul from ISIS are from Iraq. NATO still helps to protect Europe. Sweden just re-instituted its draft because of increased Russian aggression.

The U.S. leads the West and spends too much IMO on defense, but we are not the sole defense for the western world.

I would take that a step further: The US should not be the primary or dominant defender of the western world. The western world is now prosperous enough to look to its own defense. The US should constrain itself to do the same.

#5076 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-04, 11:30

Seems to me that Trump talks a lot about other countries doing more and the US having less military involvement abroad. He also talks a lot about how we need to make better deals and how he can (or did) save the US money on some of these expensive planes and other military hardware.

So... Why does he want a 50 billion dollar INCREASE in the military budget?
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#5077 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-March-04, 12:12

View Postldrews, on 2017-March-04, 11:05, said:

I would take that a step further: The US should not be the primary or dominant defender of the western world. The western world is now prosperous enough to look to its own defense. The US should constrain itself to do the same.

Tribalism is a useless strategy in an interdependent world.

#5078 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-04, 13:31

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-March-04, 12:12, said:

Tribalism is a useless strategy in an interdependent world.

But nationalism not so much.

#5079 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-March-04, 16:23

View Postldrews, on 2017-March-04, 13:31, said:

But nationalism not so much.

Same thing - different tribes.

#5080 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-04, 17:21

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-March-04, 16:23, said:

Same thing - different tribes.

So, you do not support the US Government putting consideration of US citizens concerns and needs ahead of other nations' concerns and needs?

• 1074 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

49 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 49 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook