BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1073 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#8821 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-January-05, 19:55

For those that like a good conspiracy theory: https://theconservat...utional-crisis/

#8822 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-January-06, 00:58

View Postldrews, on 2018-January-05, 19:31, said:

You highlight another difference between us. I am interested in what Trump does, what actions he takes, what policies he puts into place.

You seem to mesmerized by what he says. And while you are reacting to what he says (or tweets), he is changing the landscape underneath your feet.

No, asshole...

You produced yet another specious claim not 12 hours back.
You made the specific claim that Trump carries out his campaign promises while Obama did not.

Now, when people respond with evidence that Trump is, in fact, a pathological liar, you critique people for being obsessed with what he says.

You're such a ***** idiot.
Alderaan delenda est

#8823 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-January-06, 01:23

View Postldrews, on 2018-January-05, 12:08, said:

Now, if you would like to debate about the "proper" functions of government, about how much liberty/freedom is it acceptable to relinquish in order to have government, etc., then I am at you disposal. But if you continue to support the status quo, then we have nothing to talk about.

Pretty crappy short term memory you got there...

People tried that a week ago.

Three posts in and your line of discussion had collapsed into subjective claims that taxation is immoral and creating strawmen.

You're too ***** stupid to be able to engage in a constructive discussion, hence the need to resort to senseless trolling.
Alderaan delenda est

#8824 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-06, 04:34

View Postldrews, on 2018-January-04, 11:28, said:

So much for free speech! The police state arrives on the suppression of posters you don't like or agree with.

barmar, if you do indeed succumb to this pressure, please be sure to include a statement in the rules that govern the situation. Future posters should be forewarned.

Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8825 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-06, 08:39

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-January-06, 01:23, said:

Pretty crappy short term memory you got there...

People tried that a week ago.

Three posts in and your line of discussion had collapsed into subjective claims that taxation is immoral and creating strawmen.

You're too ***** stupid to be able to engage in a constructive discussion, hence the need to resort to senseless trolling.

Is ranting all that you are capable of? Pretty boring.

#8826 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-06, 08:43

View PostMrAce, on 2018-January-06, 04:34, said:

Posted Image

You are right, the 1st Amendment only constrains the government. So I was incorrect to apply it to this forum.

That said, do you personally support the effort to suppress my posting?

#8827 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-January-06, 09:32

View Postldrews, on 2018-January-06, 08:39, said:

Oh, I'm plenty of fun...

You don't deserve anything more than insult and invective.
Alderaan delenda est

#8828 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-January-06, 09:34

View Postldrews, on 2018-January-06, 08:39, said:

Oh, I'm plenty of fun...

You don't deserve anything more than insult and invective.

Seriously, if you were capable of an intelligent and nuanced discussion, things might be different.
But look at your last post.

You don't bother addressing any of the actual comments that I make.
Alderaan delenda est

#8829 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-January-06, 10:31

From now on, this thread should be re-named Fredo.

“I can handle things. I’m smart! Not like everybody says, like dumb. I’m smart and I want respect!

I think that would qualify as not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!

Btw, this would make Don Jr. the product of Fredo lay. B-)
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8830 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-January-06, 11:51

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-January-06, 10:31, said:

From now on, this thread should be re-named Fredo.

And trolls re-named Phishers for Fredo and the rest of us phools?
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#8831 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2018-January-07, 01:21

View Postldrews, on 2018-January-06, 08:43, said:

You are right, the 1st Amendment only constrains the government. So I was incorrect to apply it to this forum.

That said, do you personally support the effort to suppress my posting?

As you know I write in "water cooler" rarely. But I do follow and read everything.
No, I do not support the idea of suppressing your postings.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8832 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2018-January-07, 11:44

I read ‘Fire and Fury’ so you didn’t have to, President Trump

Trump was sitting on the floor trying to glue two televisions to one another so that the personalities on them would appear to kiss. This, he felt, would solve the Middle East. Then he ate six hamburgers, which he had sent Reince Priebus, wearing a full face of unflattering powder, to retrieve for him, in case they contained poison.

:D
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#8833 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-January-07, 12:11

Two of the more accurate evaluations of Fredo:

Who and what Donald Trump is has been known to everyone and anyone who cared to know for years and decades. Before he was president, he was the country’s leading racist conspiracy theorist. Before he was the country’s leading racist conspiracy theorist, he was a celebrity gameshow host. Before he was a celebrity gameshow host, he was the multi-bankrupt least trusted name in real estate. Before he was the multi-bankrupt least trusted name in real estate, he was the protege of Roy Cohn’s repeatedly accused of ties to organized crime. From the start, Donald Trump was a man of many secrets, but no mysteries. Inscribed indelibly on the public record were the reasons for responsible people to do everything in their power to bar him from the presidency.[/size]

The search for meaning in Trumpism reflects the desire of both his supporters and his opponents for the president to be what he is not: profound, larger than life, grandiose. Trump’s self-evident pettiness defies those sensibilities. Recognizing that there is no greater meaning may help us address his challenge. Reflecting on how such a small man ever came to occupy such an important office may inspire us to prevent a repeat performance.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8834 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-08, 00:03

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-January-04, 04:25, said:

I (personally) find the concept of a government applying "business like" solutions completely horrific

Businesses (typically) have a fiduciary responsibility to engage in profit maximization.
You really don't want an entity with the power of a government trying to maximize its profits.

Businesses are able to discharge their debts through bankruptcy.
Really bad things happen when governments do so. If the US were to do so, the results would be catastrophic.

Businesses and governments (should) have very different time horizons.

(I can go on like this for quite some time. The two types of organizations are very very different)

FWIW, I do agree that Trump is ignoring existing sensibilities.
In doing so, he is doing enormous and lasting damage to the long term reputation of the United States.

Other than "Brown people are inferior" and "Jews are good with money" its pretty damn hard to figure out what kind of "assumptions" Trump bases his policies on.
Mostly he is just twisting in the wind, boasting about stuff that he had little or nothing to do with, and acting like a disgrace on Twitter.

If anything, Trump is showing us how bad or compromised his judgment and common sense can be when he clings onto his cognitive biases for dear life.

Our President and the American populace must get out of autopilot and get to know their fellow man on a personal level. These misplaced
prejudices from the old societal order hold us back as a nation.

#8835 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-January-08, 13:36

Gorka accidentally blows another hole in the Fredo lie about the Fire and Fury book: (emphasis added)

So, when I met Michael Wolff in Reince Priebus’ office, where he was waiting to talk to Steve Bannon, and after I had been told to also speak to him for his book,

So, Wolff was never given permission...that right, Fredo? You're sure about that? Maybe you want to rethink that part, you marmaluke?

#8836 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-January-08, 16:25

Now this is how you govern as a narcissist. Trump's trumpets trumpet trump of Trump.

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on Monday unanimously rejected a proposal by Energy Secretary Rick Perry that would have propped up nuclear and coal power struggling in competitive electricity markets.

The independent five-member commission includes four people appointed by President Trump, three of them Republicans. Its decision is binding.

Here is the plan they nixed - Trump's free-market approach, for all the dumbasses who believe his schtick and support him.

The coal and nuclear industries have more than a few old power plants, which are struggling badly in the energy marketplace, and which are widely seen as obsolete. Trump administration officials, eager to help their political allies, worked with the industry and its lobbyists on a plan to prop up those plants in ways the market has not. Indeed, the president had run on a platform of rescuing some of these coal plants, and so Trump World had to think of something in order to deliver on the promise.

The result was, well, a little bizarre. As Vox explained a few months ago, Rick Perry unveiled a proposed solution in which utility companies would pay coal and nuclear power plants "for all their costs and all the power they produce, whether those plants are needed or not."

No, seriously, that was the plan. Consumers -- which is to say, us -- would effectively bail out obsolete plants, creating unnatural profits for their owners, even if utility companies had more affordable alternatives, and even if the plants themselves are not economically viable, because the Trump administration would mandate it.

#8837 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-January-09, 09:47

From Jonathan Bernstein at Bloomberg:

A Republican is in the White House. That means it's time for Republicans to believe that the economy is booming -- and Democrats to get pessimistic about it.

The Huffington Post's Ariel Edwards-Levy has some fun poll results demonstrating exactly how that is happening. Virtually all surveyed Donald Trump voters believe -- incorrectly -- that the economy added more jobs in 2017 than in 2016. A plurality of Hillary Clinton voters believe the opposite. Overall, a plurality of people surveyed believe more jobs were created in 2017 than in 2016. But when given a stronger prompt, the picture changes a bit: When people were asked whether more jobs were created in Barack Obama's last year or in Trump's first year, the numbers flip, with a narrow plurality crediting Obama.

There are several things going on here. One is that people in general probably believe (correctly) that, overall, 2017 was a better year for the economy, and also may have heard (again, correctly) that the official unemployment rate went down, and concluded (incorrectly) that all the economic and employment news, including newly added jobs, must have gotten better as well.

Another thing is that a stronger partisan prompt has no effect on Trump voters in this case because they don't need it. It seems likely that Republicans in 2017 were more likely to listen to good economic news and ignore the bad, and since all in all there was more good than bad, they would up thinking everything was good. From 2010 through 2016, as the mild but steady economic recovery chugged along, those same Republicans almost certainly underrated the economy -- just as Republicans tended to deny that the U.S. had entered into a recession during the first half of 2008, when George W. Bush was president.

That was an impressive feat of cognitive bias, but it's not the worst one I know about. Democrats during Ronald Reagan's presidency somehow convinced themselves that inflation actually rose while that Republican was in the White House. Since Reagan had been elected in large part because of 1970s inflation and few by the end of his term even talked about it, that was a truly impressive feat of partisan cognitive bias.

An even more impressive feat of cognitive bias is giving Reagan credit for getting inflation under control when, in fact, it was Paul Volcker who was appointed by Jimmy Carter.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#8838 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-January-09, 10:32

No, seriously, that was the plan. Consumers -- which is to say, us -- would effectively bail out obsolete plants, creating unnatural profits for their owners, even if utility companies had more affordable alternatives, and even if the plants themselves are not economically viable, because the Trump administration would mandate it.

There's plenty of precedent. It reminds me of the government paying farmers not to farm.

#8839 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2018-January-09, 19:45

Reading Glenn Simpson's testimony to Congress helped me to understand why the committee republicans hoped to keep it under wraps: Read the Transcript of Glenn Simpson's Testimony to Congress

No matter how we feel about Trump, I'm sure we can all join in on saying, "Thank you, Dianne!"
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#8840 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-January-09, 23:45

Good summary of the transcript that Feinstein dumped today

https://twitter.com/...884746082562048
Alderaan delenda est

• 1073 Pages +