• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EBU White book 2010 England UK

#1 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2010-January-21, 22:17

The first draft of the new White book has been produced. I asked permission to publish it on the web but this was not permitted. However, anyone who wants to have a look for helpful reasons, ie to proofread it or to check nothing is missing or wrong, is invited to write to the L&EC Secretary, John Pain <john@ebu.co.uk> and ask him for a copy. This applies whether you are from England or Wales or not.

I have included everything suitable from the thread in IBLF some eight or so months ago.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#2 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-February-20, 17:02

Just to keep everyone informed, copies were sent out to anyone who showed an interest in reading them, and to all members of the EBU L&EC, late in January.

Apart from L&EC personnel, the people who have sent in stuff for me are Gareth Bartley and Peter Eidt of Germany, Eitan Levy of Israel, Liz Stevenson [my wife], Robin Barker and Jeffrey Allerton. Peter, Robin and Jeffrey post here.

I did not believe the number of changes I have had to make to my first draft!!!! It is also interesting how many fairly silly mistakes were only found by one person.

Anyway draft two will be sent out on Monday. However, since I have promised to finish this book by next Sunday, I really do not believe that most of the readers will be able to do too much in the time.

We had not told Peter Eidt we were going to ask him to read this. He told me in San Remo that this document appeared, 227 pages, just before San Remo. He read about 150 pages before he said "Why am I doing this?". But he finished it off after San Remo.

I also find I am fighting with some of my readers because I have different ideas from them. Compromise, compromise, compromise.

Anyway, am I going to beat my deadline?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#3 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-February-28, 20:43

At a few minutes after 2330 I delivered one beautiful completed White Book, sans Index [I don't do Indexes] to the Secretary and to the Chairman of the L&EC. How's that for beating a deadline? :D
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#4 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-16, 09:28

The EBU White book 2010 can be found here. A small glitch late on means the Contents looks a bit poor, no doubt we shall correct that soon.

Interestingly enough, it does not say when it applies from on the website. My understanding is that it is 1st April, though most of it is not really oriented to a publication date.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#5 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-March-17, 08:57

Congrats David :angry:

I'll probably find some time to read it soon now that term is ending.
SCBA National TD, EBU Club TD

Unless explicitly stated, none of my views here can be taken to represent SCBA or any other organizations.

#6 User is offline   jeremy69 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-17, 09:22

The new book takes place with immediate effect. A statement has been added to the EBU site to say this.

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-17, 10:20

What the heck is the Tangerine Book?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-17, 11:12

blackshoe, on Mar 17 2010, 11:20 AM, said:

Obviously (?) a smaller version of the Orange Book... :)

#9 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-17, 11:56

I just hope the L&EC don't have any plans for a Lemon Book :)

(If you don't get it, you probably don't want to know.)

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-March-17, 13:07

Would the annotated version be the Grapefruit book?

#11 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-17, 17:24

blackshoe, on Mar 17 2010, 04:20 PM, said:

The Orange Book - though really not that difficult to follow if you study it - is really quite large for "Mr Average" club player who just wants a weekly game. The tangerine book is an attempt to make it simpler and shorter.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#12 User is offline   jeremy69 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-18, 02:19

Quite a few playera and officials at club level commented over a period that the Orange Book was too detailed and complex for the Wednesday night duplicate or the club pairs etc. The L&E responded to this by producing something that was 14 pages instead of 72. There is no difference in regulation or licensed agreements between the two books. It needed a name. Tangerine came about slightly flippantly along with Satsuma and Clementine but for some reason stuck. One comment in favour of it remarked that the book should be a model in length for the new Orange Book whenever it is published.

#13 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-18, 05:31

jeremy69, on Mar 18 2010, 09:19 AM, said:

One comment in favour of it remarked that the book should be a model in length for the new Orange Book whenever it is published.

I think that would be a bad idea. There needs to be something of the level of detail of the current OB, even if club TDs use something simpler. Having both Orange and Tangerine books available is surely better for everyone.

#14 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-18, 05:48

One problem with editing the Orange book throughout the years is that I have always been under pressure to
  • shorten it, and
  • put more in

David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#15 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-18, 06:10

bluejak, on Mar 18 2010, 11:48 AM, said:

One problem with editing the Orange book throughout the years is that I have always been under pressure to
  • shorten it, and
  • put more in

Presumably this is your 'stretch' goal (in the US style of performance appraisal).
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#16 User is offline   jnichols 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-18, 09:20

bluejak, on Mar 18 2010, 07:48 AM, said:

• shorten it, and
  • put more in

I suppose you could try using a smaller font :lol:
John S. Nichols - Director & Webmaster
Indianapolis Bridge Center

#17 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-18, 15:03

bluejak, on Mar 18 2010, 12:48 PM, said:

• shorten it, and

• put more in

Well, now that the Tangerine Book is going to be available for those who want a shorter and simpler form, the Orange Book can be expanded a bit.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#18 User is offline   jeremy69 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-19, 08:45

Well, now that the Tangerine Book is going to be available for those who want a shorter and simpler form, the Orange Book can be expanded a bit.

There are some who believe that 72 pages is more than enough for a set of regulations.

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-20, 09:42

jeremy69, on Mar 19 2010, 03:45 PM, said:

There are some who believe that 72 pages is more than enough for a set of regulations.

And there are some who believe otherwise. In a thread not so long ago, an item that really ought to be in the Orange book was found buried in the White book. Also, since the White Book is not available in published form, no club without internet access is likely to have it, so a few other relevant items (notes on the application of the most commonly-used or difficult Laws) could be included in an appendix.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#20 User is offline   jeremy69 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-20, 10:41

Also, since the White Book is not available in published form, no club without internet access is likely to have it

Quite true that the new White Book is electronic only as is the recently published Tangerine Book and as will the Orange Book be as soon as the dwindling stocks of the originally printed version with update supplement runs out and that will be the pattern for all L&E publications from now on. There may be clubs without internet access but a club, and its committee all being without would be a rarity these days. and bearing in mind all affiliated clubs will be uploading their data electronically from next month it suggests that this deprived number will shrink even more drastically.
One advantage of having publications electronically is that they are easier to update than previously and likely therefore to be accurate for more of the time. They are also easier to search.

A set of flow charts has been put on the EBU website to help deal with some of the most commonly applied laws likely to be the subject of a call at the local club. These and also a host of other information is also available in the booklet given to all directors attending an EBU Club TDs course. The Orange Book is directed for the most part at players. Many club players are intimidated or just plain bored by such lengthy regulations hence the attempt to reduce the amonut of reading by producing the Tangerine Book but even so when the next OB comes along some thought, IMO, ought to be given to reducing it's length. You may need to stand for the L&E if you want to make more popular the view that the document should be fuller and longer.

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users