BBO Discussion Forums: ATB - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB 5D instead of 7D

Poll: ATB (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Assaign the blame!

1. 100% N (4 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

2. 75% N (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

3. 50%-50% (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 75% S (6 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

5. 100% S (10 votes [47.62%])

Percentage of vote: 47.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2010-November-17, 09:54

There are times on these Fora that I wonder whether posters actually read the posts that they are responding to.

I responded to a post that said, and I quote, "7D is ludicrous."

I pointed out that 7D was not a hideous contract, as it made anytime diamonds were 2-2 and some small amount of the time that diamonds were 3-1 with a singleton Q. My point was that "ludicrous" was too strong. I also pointed out that I would not want to be in 7.

The responses to my post were:

"Being in 7 requiring a 2-2 diamond break is bad bridge. 7D - 1 is the zero of all time, so it is a ludicrous contract to risk a 6D contract which will get you 80+% of the matchpoints anyway."

"If my team mates reached 7D on this hand Art I would be most unhappy, especially if it went down. Quoting things like 40% might even be right, but I try and avoid grands where i do not hold the Q trumps or require 2-2 trump split when I also need to ruff a couple of clubs."

What exactly were these posts responding to? Did I say that I thought that 7 was right? I am pretty sure that I did not say that. I merely said that it wasn't ludicrous.

Inquiry went into a detailed discussion of the odds of making 7. I don't know that I agree with him that the grand is as good as 56%, but he did agree with me that it was better than merely a 2-2 diamond break. We all agree that the odds did not justify a 7 bid when compared to a 6 contract.

So, if you want to take issue with something stated in a prior post, try to make sure that you know what was stated.

By the way, it is an interesting question which contract you would prefer if given only 2 choices - 5 or 7. At least you have a chance for a good score in 7, while 5 is likely to score poorly.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users