Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bridge Books Play - Overview

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-November-20, 03:30

I have made an overview of info I found on this forum related to Bridge Books that are about Playing (Declaring and Defending).
I have posted that overview on Office Live:

http://cid-d2a8b2fbc.../Bridge%20Books

- I wanted to share this info, but if you want to give some input:
- If you update anything then please clearly indicate you updates; Put them in separate tab; rows; columns. Because I think it is best to keep my personal sheet as the master and update it with your info. (to have some control on the 'quality')
- Difficulty and Rating I've updated for the books I have, but that still needs more info for other books. I would be good if you can add your info in 2 separate columns and I would then make an average of the info I get.
- You can also post updates you propose here in this topic post.
- I'm not sure that office live was the best way to do this. Any good suggestions welcome.
- I've made the document public. Everybody should be able to update it. (Maybe I will make it read-only after a month to have better control and to avoid updates by 'strangers').

Hope it will be useful for someone,
Koen

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2010-November-20, 05:22

What about adding who said what? Not all the comments are by you, right? I found a book which only comment was 'Probably the best bridge book I have ever read', if Fred Ghitelman says that it would be more believable than if I said it, so it might be useful to have that info.

Also, how many books are there in the list? I got to 8x and thought that was the end, but now I'm at 130. Anyway terrific job putting all that together, the Bridge Encyclopedia has an amazing list of books but I think they're not rated or commented upon.

wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-21, 03:49

View PostHanoi5, on 2010-November-20, 05:22, said:

What about adding who said what? Not all the comments are by you, right? I found a book which only comment was 'Probably the best bridge book I have ever read', if Fred Ghitelman says that it would be more believable than if I said it, so it might be useful to have that info.
Yes, maybe that would have been better. It would be too much work to add it now.
My idea initially was to have these comments for myself and only buy books with positive comments.
Now I would remove a negative (or positive) comment if I would receive all good (bad) comments for the rest.

Also, how many books are there in the list? I got to 8x and thought that was the end, but now I'm at 130.
131 lines (If I open it on-line via the link and pres PageDn then it goes very fast to then end. It looks like it is very slow for you?)

Anyway terrific job putting all that together, the Bridge Encyclopedia has an amazing list of books but I think they're not rated or commented upon.
It would be good to get both ratings in the list to some value. So if anyone wants to add the rating for the books he read :)

#4 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2010-November-21, 20:06

A good list, but some highly subjective views. To say that "Adventures in Card Play" is not really a useful book is a real lol. The chapter on trump elopement, for example, is one of the most useful I have read in ANY bridge book.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#5 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-22, 05:36

View Postthe hog, on 2010-November-21, 20:06, said:

A good list, but some highly subjective views. To say that "Adventures in Card Play" is not really a useful book is a real lol. The chapter on trump elopement, for example, is one of the most useful I have read in ANY bridge book.

I've added this comment.
Question:
Is this book a list of hands
OR
more like an education book with f.i. explanation of trump elopement including hands to help the explanation

#6 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-22, 06:33

I think the ratings (difficulty & rating) are most useful. It will f.i give someone new to bridge what books are interesting for him (Difficulty=1) and very experts to only look for difficulty 4 or 5.
I did fill them in for the books I own, but it was difficult to give a value based on the comments I've read;
If anyone wants to give input for the books (s)he owns or has read then you are very welcome.
You can put your rating her, pm me, change the spreadsheet in the link above (for clarity add your rating in a separate column), ask me to send you the xls for update, or send your comments to kgrauwel at hotmail...
(If I get more ratings then I will use some average)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users