Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

play problem

#1 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-December-11, 17:48

Maybe you don't like the bidding, but it's not ridiculous. Anyway, you're in 4.

Lead is the 8. You duck in dummy and righty wins the J, cashes the A, lefty following, and plays a third spade (let's say a middlish spot).

What's your plan, and does it change whether I tell you the opponents are weak or strong?

(no particular surprise: if you pitch on this trick, lefty will ruff with a low and play a club).

#2 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-11, 18:27

karlson, on 2010-December-11, 17:48, said:

Maybe you don't like the bidding, but it's not ridiculous. Anyway, you're in 4.

Lead is the 8. You duck in dummy and righty wins the J, cashes the A, lefty following, and plays a third spade (let's say a middlish spot).

What's your plan, and does it change whether I tell you the opponents are weak or strong?

(no particular surprise: if you pitch on this trick, lefty will ruff with a low and play a club).

if these are good players, I consider doing something else, but I dump a diamond, win the club return in hand and run the J of hearts, then small to the nine, K of hearts diamond to the A A of hearts club to AK d ruff and clubs

if these are bad players, I definitely dump a dimaond and continue as mentioned b4
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-December-11, 18:53

rduran1216, on 2010-December-11, 18:27, said:

I dump a diamond, win the club return in hand and run the J of hearts, then small to the nine, K of hearts diamond to the A A of hearts club to AK d ruff and clubs

Compared with cashing A, a first-round heart finesse gains against hearts 5=0 but loses to xxxx=Q. Given the 2=6 spade break, those are a priori equally likely. However, with a heart void RHO might have chosen a different opening bid, so I think it's better to cash A first.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-11, 19:10

gnasher, on 2010-December-11, 18:53, said:

Compared with cashing A, a first-round heart finesse gains against hearts 5=0 but loses to xxxx=Q. Given the 2=6 spade break, those are a priori equally likely. However, with a heart void RHO might have chosen a different opening bid, so I think it's better to cash A first.

Cashing the A keeps me from picking up Qxxx to my left, which is very likely. LHO has Q hearts more often than RHO.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#5 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2010-December-11, 19:27

rduran1216, on 2010-December-11, 19:10, said:

Cashing the A keeps me from picking up Qxxx to my left, which is very likely. LHO has Q hearts more often than RHO.

They already ruffed once.

I'd cash the Ace and hook as well (after pitching a diamond)
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#6 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-11, 23:18

mtvesuvius, on 2010-December-11, 19:27, said:

They already ruffed once.

I'd cash the Ace and hook as well (after pitching a diamond)

sorry im an idiot, i agree with you two, i forgot the ruff
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#7 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-12, 16:20

I played the same way as the consensus. Hearts were 5-0 so that was -1.

I was hoping to get a discussion about what hands righty would defend like this with. I think that it's a bit weird, and weakly suggests that the K might well be onside (of course he could also think we're 5-5). I think it would also be more common without the Q than with, so maybe taking the first round finesse in hearts has some merit.

#8 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-13, 01:47

karlson, on 2010-December-12, 16:20, said:

I played the same way as the consensus. Hearts were 5-0 so that was -1.

I was hoping to get a discussion about what hands righty would defend like this with. I think that it's a bit weird, and weakly suggests that the K might well be onside (of course he could also think we're 5-5). I think it would also be more common without the Q than with, so maybe taking the first round finesse in hearts has some merit.

Ha i rescind my previous post and stick to my intuition haha, or daftness.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#9 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-13, 08:18

gnasher, on 2010-December-11, 18:53, said:

No it is not, because cashing the A first also looses if RHO happens to hold Qxxx. Given the conditions this adds another 1.47% to running the J.
Of course I can not compute whether some might refrain from opening 2 with AQJxxx Qxxx and 3 low cards in the minors. I would still open 2.

Rainer Herrmann

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users