• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-January-27, 14:25

1NT (2) 3 (Dbl)

3 is natural non-forcing.

The doubler's card is marked with both:

i/ Negative doubles to 4

ii/ Responsive doubles to 4

1. Would you be surprised that this double is penalties?

2. Would you have expected a prealert if double is penalties in this situation?

"This is the stage where you should draw the opponents’ attention to any unusual agreements you
have which might surprise them, or to which they may need to arrange a defence. Examples: transfer preempts,
unusual two level openings, canapé style bidding, very unusual doubles, unusual methods over the
opponents’ 1NT or strong club openings, unusual cue bids of the opponents’ suit, etc. Pay particular
attention to unusual self-alerting calls. These should appear on your system card, but should also be
verbally pre-alerted."

Doubles are self-alerting in Australia.

3. Would it make a difference if 2 is spades and a minor rather than simply showing spades?

4. Would you call this a responsive double in that it is responding to partner's overcall?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-January-27, 14:37

No x 4.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-January-27, 14:47

If I played this double as takeout, I guess I might call it responsive.

Otherwise, no, no, and no.

#4 User is offline   Coelacanth 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-27, 14:50

This double is neither responsive nor negative (based upon my understanding of the definitions of those terms). I would expect the "standard" meaning of this double to be penalties (from my North American point of view; no idea what would pass for standard Down Under).
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things; more, I cannot say.

#5 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-27, 15:27

View PostCoelacanth, on 2011-January-27, 14:50, said:

This double is neither responsive nor negative (based upon my understanding of the definitions of those terms). I would expect the "standard" meaning of this double to be penalties (from my North American point of view; no idea what would pass for standard Down Under).

What is the definition of a responsive double?

My understanding it was a double after partner overcalled and the opponent bid.

In many ways the auctions

1 (1) 3 (Dbl)

and

1NT (2) 3 (Dbl)

seem analogous to me especially if 3 is weak in both auctions.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog

#6 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2011-January-27, 15:37

I am a little surprised by some of the early answers particularly in regard to there being no need to prealert.

The system card gives the impression that this pair play takeout doubles to high levels (4) in competitive auctions. In that context I feel it is surprising that in another competitive auction on the first round of bidding they play penalty doubles and they do that without any attempt at prior disclosure.
Wayne Burrows

#7 User is offline   Coelacanth 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-27, 15:42

View PostCascade, on 2011-January-27, 15:27, said:

The original definition of a responsive double (to which few people still seem to adhere) is limited to the auction

(1X) - Dbl - (2X) - Dbl

Note that the opponents have bid and raised a suit (not bid two different suits) and that partner has made a takeout double, not an overcall.

Current common usage would call a double after (1X) - 1Y - (2X) responsive. Whether you call it responsive, negative, or whatever, it's obviously for takeout.

It would not occur to me that any double would be "responsive" after the opponents have bid notrump, but I agree the auctions are analogous.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things; more, I cannot say.

#8 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-27, 16:21

1. Not really surprised. This auction is similar to 2-(3)-X which is very commonly played as penalty, as well as being similar to the auctions you mention. Certainly this is not a negative or responsive double situation, and though double certainly could be takeout I don't see the MI.

2. I don't imagine that opponents need to arrange a special defense to penalty doubles at the three-level. I also wouldn't call this a "very unusual double" -- it might be a minority treatment, but I bet it's not an uncommon one. Opponents can always ask what the double means.

3. No

4. No
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#9 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-27, 17:57

No x 4

Let's get this straight. Australia has a rule (no alerts) that makes it difficult to disclose what methods you are playing at the point where the opponents might actually want to know, but someone is suggesting that the opponents have to be told in advance when a double has its most natural meaning, on the off-chance that a natural double might come up!

#10 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-January-27, 18:48

No x 4

I agree with Coelacanth's last post, except for the final seven words.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#11 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-27, 19:58

1. Neither penalty nor takeout would surprise me here. 3 as non-forcing, on the other hand, is very unexpected.

2. No, of course not.

3. It would make double more likely to be penalty, since more is known about overcaller's hand.

4. No. Suit-double-raise-double is definitely responsive, suit-overcall-raise-double most would call responsive, but I haven't heard it used in any other situation.

#12 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2011-January-27, 20:18

Unless one is playing one-of-a-suit bids as limited to a 3 HCP range and fairly rigid off-suit lengths, I don't see anything analogous between 1suit-overcall-raise-double and 1NT-overcall-suit-double.

Traditionally, doubles when one side had bid NT naturally were penalty, even if that same auction when everybody had bid suits (or bid NT artificially, even if it *could have been* balanced and limited) were takeout. Things are moving, but I would still assume that that is penalty, unless agreed otherwise.

The only thing that might make a difference to me is if 2S was "5+4+ spades and another", where it's possible the double of 3H is "pass or correct".

I know there's this weird thing going around here where 1x-double-1y-double is considered "responsive". Don't do it when I'm your partner, is all I can say; and tell me about it in advance so I can bid 1S with 3=4=0=6 and pick off your suit, thanks.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#13 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-27, 23:43

View PostCascade, on 2011-January-27, 15:27, said:

My understanding it was a double after partner overcalled and the opponent bid.

In many ways the auctions

1 (1) 3 (Dbl)

and

1NT (2) 3 (Dbl)

seem analogous to me especially if 3 is weak in both auctions.

Responsive Dbl originally was after opponent opened, we overcalled, other opponent gave a single or double raise, now our Dbl is responsive, showing the other suits and also short (or xx at most) in their suit. Other scenarios are also called responsive nowadays, but all responsive doubles occur when our side is the overcallling side. A weak two overcall is not the same as a non-jump overcall, so the OP Dbl is up to agreements though my take on it without agreements would be penalty. Takeout certainly makes no sense since the jump overcaller doesn't have anything but spades under normal circumstances; also, if it is not penalty, then there is no penalty double even available in that auction because the weak-jump-overcaller is certainly not reopening the bidding to allow for Dbl to be left in.

Anyway, this is my understanding and preferences, probably unnecessary babble. But I answer No to all four of the OP questions.

No agreement, be it penalty, responsive, optional, cards, are unusual enough to require an Alert in jurisdictions where some doubles are alerted. Certainly not a pre-alert.

#14 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2011-January-27, 23:53

View Postjallerton, on 2011-January-27, 17:57, said:

No x 4

Let's get this straight. Australia has a rule (no alerts) that makes it difficult to disclose what methods you are playing at the point where the opponents might actually want to know, but someone is suggesting that the opponents have to be told in advance when a double has its most natural meaning, on the off-chance that a natural double might come up!

Yes in the context that they disclose they play takeout doubles to 4 in many situations.

I thought this was a responsive double situation and therefore that the disclosure that they play responsive doubles to 4 would apply.
Wayne Burrows

#15 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-28, 01:14

1. I would be a little surprised.

2. I wouldn't expect a pre-alert. The (foolish) rule that all doubles are self-alerting makes it harder, but I just don't think it's practical to pre-alert the meaning of double in every sequence which the opponents might not expect. You need to retain enough time to actually play the hand. I could spend two full minutes describing agreements about doubles in situations at least as common as this one. I wouldn't pre-alert any double that is either 'takeout' or 'penalty' but would pre-alert other doubles that have an unusual and artificial meaning (e.g. DONT).

3. No difference.

4. For me, a 'responsive double' only occurs after partner doubles for takeout and they raise. I would describe a double in the given sequence as 'negative' or 'takeout'. Anyway I think it's ok for them to write on their card that they play negative doubles or responsive doubles and still have exceptions. The rule that stops them alerting doesn't create a corresponding obligation to write about 100 times more on their system card than they normally would, or to write nothing at all if they can't list all the exceptions.

#16 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-28, 03:17

View Postpeachy, on 2011-January-27, 23:43, said:

Responsive Dbl originally was after opponent opened, we overcalled, other opponent gave a single or double raise, now our Dbl is responsive, showing the other suits and also short (or xx at most) in their suit.

Actually, originally it was when they opened, partner doubled, they raised and we doubled for takeout. Then it was expanded to include other situations, like the one you describe above, and called by some an "extended responsive double".
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#17 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2011-January-28, 05:44

If I have to pre-alert this double then my pre-alerts are going to take most of the round. Of course the opponents would also have to pre-alert that they play non-forcing three-level bids after we overcall their 1NT or am I supposed to pre-alert every instance of a penalty double independent of their methods?

JUST ASK!
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#18 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2011-January-28, 14:14

View Postpaulg, on 2011-January-28, 05:44, said:

If I have to pre-alert this double then my pre-alerts are going to take most of the round. Of course the opponents would also have to pre-alert that they play non-forcing three-level bids after we overcall their 1NT or am I supposed to pre-alert every instance of a penalty double independent of their methods?

JUST ASK!

Asking is too late.

"Each partnership has a duty to make available its partnership
understandings to opponents before commencing play against them. The
Regulating Authority specifies the manner in which this shall be done."

"A player may make any call or play without prior announcement provided
that such call or play is not based on an undisclosed partnership
understanding (see Law 40C1)."

I need to know in advance that they play penalty doubles so I can make my bid knowing that I am more likely to be penalized. The laws and regulations are clear that they cannot surprise me. To me the surprise it greater when they create an impression that they play takeout style doubles to high levels when the opposite is true in some situations on the first round of the bidding.

The regulations require disclosing "as much as you can" and "this is the stage where you should draw the opponents’ attention to any unusual agreements you have which might surprise them" and "pay particular attention to unusual self-alerting calls".

In a context in which takeout style doubles are disclosed and played to high levels then I think a situation in which your side plays penalty doubles on the first round of the auction is likely to surprise and be unexpected and is therefore unusual.

I can't see how it can hurt the opponents to disclose this and it obviously could harm them.
Wayne Burrows

#19 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-28, 14:44

View Postbluejak, on 2011-January-27, 18:48, said:

No x 4

I agree with Coelacanth's last post, except for the final seven words.

+1

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#20 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-28, 15:10

View PostCascade, on 2011-January-28, 14:14, said:

Asking is too late.

"Each partnership has a duty to make available its partnership
understandings to opponents before commencing play against them. The
Regulating Authority specifies the manner in which this shall be done."

Good, Down Under they prescribe system cards, prealerts and forbid alerts of doubles.

"A player may make any call or play without prior announcement provided
that such call or play is not based on an undisclosed partnership
understanding (see Law 40C1)."

You mean to say that all your partnership understandings are disclosed to the opponents?

I need to know in advance that they play penalty doubles so I can make my bid knowing that I am more likely to be penalized.

Did you tell the opponents in advance that you play a 3 responses to a 1NT opening after an intervening 2 bid as natural and non forcing? If not, how were the opponents supposed to be able to tell you that they play penalty doubles against non forcing natural responses of 1NT?
Actually, the opponents might not need to tell you anything here, even if you did disclose your 3 response. It may well be that they know from general bridge knowledge (rather than through partnership understanding) that such a double is for penalties.

You may have noticed that one is supposed to disclose in the order that the bids are made. You need to disclose first what 3 means, and then they need to disclose what a double means. You are not allowed to change the meaning of 3 depending on what the opponents' subsequent calls mean.

The laws and regulations are clear that they cannot surprise me. To me the surprise it greater when they create an impression that they play takeout style doubles to high levels when the opposite is true in some situations on the first round of the bidding.

The regulations require disclosing "as much as you can" and "this is the stage where you should draw the opponents’ attention to any unusual agreements you have which might surprise them" and "pay particular attention to unusual self-alerting calls".

Now since when does a penalty double in a NT auction fit in the category "unusual agreements"?

In a context in which takeout style doubles are disclosed and played to high levels then I think a situation in which your side plays penalty doubles on the first round of the auction is likely to surprise and be unexpected and is therefore unusual.

What context? What takeout doubles? You stated that they played negative and responsive doubles to 4. These are very well defined bidding situations (responsive a little less than negative) that have one thing in common: They apply in auctions that started with an opening bid in a suit.

I can't see how it can hurt the opponents to disclose this and it obviously could harm them.

Do you prealert your doubles in this particular situation? Can their meaning be found anywhere on your card?
If no, why do the opponents need to do that and you don't?
If yes, how much time do you spend on prealerting each round?

In short, the opponents play the standard meaning of the double in this situation. Therefore, they do not need to prealert. They also do not need to write that on the system card. And finally, nowhere did they indicate that this was not a penalty double.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users