• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fukushima fact check

#21 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-March-16, 06:05

This thread has been a source of serious informed assessment and I, like others, appreciate it greatly. What I get out of this is that a bunch of very good people are doing their very best. I hope it carries them home.
Ken

#22 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-16, 06:08

Thank you for all the updates and details. From what I'm reading in the news (NYTimes) it seems that things are getting worse, but I can't fully understand it. When you get a chance, an update would be really helpful.

Thanks again for the information.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#23 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-March-17, 07:45

This is a good topic for information about the terrible situation of the nuclear facility in Fukushima and I'm actually worried about Gerben not having posted lately. I just read some passengers from Japan got abnormal radiation levels arriving in Taiwan and apparently Murphy is having his way with the situation.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#24 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-17, 07:55

View PostHanoi5, on 2011-March-17, 07:45, said:

This is a good topic for information about the terrible situation of the nuclear facility in Fukushima and I'm actually worried about Gerben not having posted lately. I just read some passengers from Japan got abnormal radiation levels arriving in Taiwan and apparently Murphy is having his way with the situation.

I think that Gerben, just like all of us, has no new informations to make a comment.

#25 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-17, 08:18

There are a lot of information in the medias, the problem is these news contradict so often each other. Who is to blame for it, the international media or Japanese authorities?
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#26 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-17, 10:06

The media, IMO, since the concept of actually verifying your sources seems not to be part of what passes for "journalism" these days.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#27 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2011-March-17, 10:40

Not much new information, sorry. Apparently the radiation has gone down, and they are trying to cool the spent fuel pool with helicopters and high pressure water cannons. So far apparently with mixed success. I need not repeat that failure here would be catastrophic. This will probably go on for quite some time so we have to be patient.

Some good news is that they are going to try getting electricity back to the plant. That would make things much, much more simple. Meanwhile, I am awaiting what the German government is going to do with the announced "stress test" for its plants.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#28 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-17, 10:51

I find it unrealistic to expect that someone actually knows exactly what is going on.

The ones that could in theory know best, are the people actually in the plant, but they have to work without light and have to avoid to go to places where the radiation level would kill them at once.
Since they can't really take a look what is going on, they have to rely on estimations and assumptions. I doubt that it is important for them to know e.g. how low the water is, as they have to get it up again. Without electric current, damaged by the tsunami and perhaps destroyed by the radiation any surveillance instrument they might have had, is either not working or unreliable.
And I guess that they have more important things to do, than keeping the media up to date.

#29 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2011-March-17, 18:15

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-March-17, 10:06, said:

The media, IMO, since the concept of actually verifying your sources seems not to be part of what passes for "journalism" these days.

Wait a second - I thought I was the only one around here who held those views of the media.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#30 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-18, 07:33

View PostWinstonm, on 2011-March-17, 18:15, said:

Wait a second - I thought I was the only one around here who held those views of the media.

For the first time in ages, I watched CNN yesterday while on the plane.

Now I know that the catastrophe is already as bad a Chernobyl. It's true because a nuclear expert on CNN said it, in the first 5 minutes that I watched. (And of course the following 15 minutes consisted of CNN hosts talking to each other about the news that a nuclear expert on CNN had finally said how bad it really is.)

Fortunately, halftime was over and I could switch back to ESPN.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#31 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-18, 09:07

View Postcherdano, on 2011-March-18, 07:33, said:

Now I know that the catastrophe is already as bad a Chernobyl. It's true because a nuclear expert on CNN said it, in the first 5 minutes that I watched. (And of course the following 15 minutes consisted of CNN hosts talking to each other about the news that a nuclear expert on CNN had finally said how bad it really is.)

CNN - that was your mistake. Everyone knows that real americans only trust Fox news. lol
:)
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#32 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-18, 10:05

If I were in Japan and the Japanese government and the American government were arguing over whether I should stay 19 miles away or 50 miles away I would compromise and stay 100 miles away. And if their is room on one of those charters, I could be packed in twenty minutes.

I think that the basic fact is clear, namely that no one knows how this is going to go. I suppose experts on CNN, FOX, or elsewhere aren't paid big bucks to say that.
Ken

#33 User is offline   dcrc2 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-March-18, 13:55

I was watching the BBC breakfast programme when, during an interview with an expert on nuclear power, the footage of the first explosion came through. Stunned, the presenter came up with a remarkably insightful question: "Presumably, an explosion like this is something you want to avoid?"

#34 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-18, 14:45

Uninformed fear-mongering at its finest.

Did you catch the science segment on fox news the other day?

#35 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-March-18, 15:29

View Postphil_20686, on 2011-March-18, 09:07, said:

CNN - that was your mistake. Everyone knows that real americans only trust Fox news. lol
:)

"Trust no one." -- The Marlboro Man, to Fox Mulder.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#36 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-March-18, 15:30

View Postdcrc2, on 2011-March-18, 13:55, said:

I was watching the BBC breakfast programme when, during an interview with an expert on nuclear power, the footage of the first explosion came through. Stunned, the presenter came up with a remarkably insightful question: "Presumably, an explosion like this is something you want to avoid?"

ROFL!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
--------------------

#37 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2011-March-18, 17:38

I never knew there was a Japan Syndrome.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#38 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-18, 18:45

Good discussion on Science Friday. To listen, see controls in upper left corner.

Edit: Technical glitch in the podcast. Sorry.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#39 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-19, 03:26

The earthquake itself didn't cause them any big problems- some workers got hurt- the assumption that you can predict the maximum size of a tsunami is what did them caused the nuclear the big damage and the luck that one nuclear was a big higher than higher than the other was the reason that they have only one major nuclear incident.

#40 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-20, 13:14

http://xkcd.com/radiation/
I found this chart more informative than any/all of the graphics in standard media (that I have seen so far).

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users