• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

20-HCP 4441

#1 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-May-28, 18:23

Playing an Indy, I opened 1 with:

LHO overcalled 1 and pard bid 1 and I chose to simply bid 4 instead of investigating further. When my hand was exposed as dummy, I was greeted with:
[LHO]→Table: oh my god only 1 diamond????
She said that this was a clear 2NT opener. How common is it these days to open 2N (or 1N, with proper HCP) with a singleton?

#2 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-May-28, 18:28

Opening 1 is fine.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#3 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-28, 18:30

I'd open 1D but don't think 2NT is terrible. I would have rebid 4C though.
Wayne Somerville

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-May-28, 18:33

View Postmanudude03, on 2011-May-28, 18:30, said:

I would have rebid 4C though.
Agreed, except that partner was a self-identified beginner.

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-May-28, 19:09

I would have opened 2NT, but 1D is fine.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-May-28, 19:30

I'd open 2 NT and indeed i do it a lot. To waranth i play the hand, not because i wanna hog but to play it from strong hand and it makes things easier when i show my limit in 1 bid. 1 is of course the normal opening with this, i'd rebid 4 though.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-May-28, 20:38

2NT is ok, so is 1D. A singleton king is very different from a small singleton.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-May-28, 21:54

One more vote for 1D is fine. If 4C is, in fact, a splinter (there are some who use this as a giant 4-6 in the pointed suits "no name"), then 4C is fine, too.

Otherwise, showing a relatively balanced jump to game in Spades is ok. Many have mentioned in the past how a 2NT opening is a slam killer, and avoiding that bid when another is available seems to be a good idea.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#9 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-May-28, 22:13

Mark me in for 2N, but I would never be like ZOMG if someone opened 1D.

#10 User is offline   menggq 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-May-28, 23:30

1 or 2N openning bids r both ok.
For this bidding sequence:
1D 1H 1S P
4S All Pass
1S=5+ 6HCP+,so N/S sd reach a game no doubt.Since might hv a slam contract,cue bid 2 or Spl 4 wd be better than 4 directly.

#11 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-29, 01:00

I dont get it easy 2nt open in any event 4s easy not 4c

#12 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-May-29, 09:25

I'd bid 2H, not 4C or 4S.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#13 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-May-30, 08:43

Both 1 and 2NT openings are fine. It's not like one of these stands out... I'd rather yell "omg only 4" rather than "omg only 1". ;)

Singletons are acceptable in NT openings imo. Some people agree with this, some want the Ace or King, some disagree completely. It depends a lot on the hand because 4441's can be very good holdings when there's a fit, and opening 1NT might hide that playing strength. Basically it would be a lot better for many bidding systems if all deals with a 4441 distribution were banned, but when you're dealt one you have to cope with it. Sometimes I open 1m (offensive hands like this one), sometimes 1NT/2NT (fewer controls).
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#14 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-30, 10:03

It's a clear 2N opening for me. The problem with 1 will be catching up with your rebid.
1>>1M>>4M doesn't quite get my values across, better is 1>>1M>>splinter which I can live with.

#15 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-30, 10:07

BTW doesn't 1>>1M>>4M deny a stiff, usually 18/19 balanced?

#16 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-May-30, 10:34

View Postjmcw, on 2011-May-30, 10:03, said:

It's a clear 2N opening for me. The problem with 1 will be catching up with your rebid.
1>>1M>>4M doesn't quite get my values across, better is 1>>1M>>splinter which I can live with.

View Postjmcw, on 2011-May-30, 10:07, said:

BTW doesn't 1>>1M>>4M deny a stiff, usually 18/19 balanced?

Since it is a clear 2NT opening for you, perhaps you will excuse those to would open 1D, then treat the hand as balanced after a 1M response. The only problem is the extra one HCP, which seems ok, too, given the awkwardness of handling 4-4-4-1 hands to begin with
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#17 User is offline   tolvyrj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-30, 12:19

IMO u opening of 1 was very correct one. And with such prd ( dont mean beginner rather unknown one) 4 would have been my choice too.
Opening 2Nt with 20 hcp. 4441 shape and singleton king... i mean why. U hand aint worth 20 hcp. and i can think several hand where u prd has long and u will be in trouble.
Stick to u sys; 3-suiters especially strong ones tend to be pain in the...well u know where, but that is no reason IMO to bend system that much.

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-May-30, 16:12

View Posttolvyrj, on 2011-May-30, 12:19, said:

Opening 2Nt with 20 hcp. 4441 shape and singleton king... i mean why. U hand aint worth 20 hcp. and i can think several hand where u prd has long and u will be in trouble.

When you point out a negative possibility such as pd having and being in trouble after a 2 NT opening, i expect you to have a miracle cure for it that doesnt put you in trouble after 1 opening. How are you planning to avoid this trouble after 1 ? You can bid 2 NT showing 18-19 hcp and pd may pass but then again he may have his beans in side suits where 3 NT is cold. Or you can choose to pattern your hand with reverse and then 3rd suit, and god knows where you will stop that rig.

In fact by opening 2NT, we are the only ones who actually can stop b4 game and play there, although playing 3NT is not that of a great deal when game is not there, but at least we didnt get doubled yet (which may not be the case if Joe Grue is sitting as opponent)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#19 User is offline   tolvyrj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-30, 20:01

I dont quite follow u reasoning but lets try. 2Nt promises 2 cards in every suit including , 1 does not.
In which kind of trouble am i with these cards if i open 1and prd bids his in 2 level? Yes i dont know where that rig is going to take us, but i dont see any reason to stay below game level, au contraire says the french.
Here u r trying to advocate 2Nt bid to use in a hand that is a) not balanced and b) has a singleton king in 20 hcp. count. Even though u may think im a stubborn fool ( i do hope u dont though ;) ) i would like to ask why? U have a perfectly good natural bid available why not use that?

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-May-31, 05:49

View PostMrAce, on 2011-May-30, 16:12, said:

Or you can choose to pattern your hand with reverse and then 3rd suit, and god knows where you will stop that rig.

This would be an unusual auction, since the only suit available to reverse into is clubs.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users