BBO Discussion Forums: Climate Change Answers: Yes, no, maybe, possibly, doubtful... - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Climate Change Answers: Yes, no, maybe, possibly, doubtful... It's not science but how we learn science that is the culprit.

#21 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-06, 07:03

View Posthrothgar, on 2011-May-31, 08:51, said:

I don't recall anyone claiming that AGW is a "Yes /No" issue.
For that matter, I don't think that anyone claims that any scientific hypothesis is a "Yes / No" issue.

It strikes me as absurd to frame AGW as a yes/no issue. OK, one could frame questions the answer to which could be yes or no, for example "will the average land surface temperature of the world in 2050 be more than 2 degrees© higher given unchanged emissions than it would be given zero emissions?". But here I just chose the numbers 2050 and 2 arbitrarily, and also one could ask questions related to other climate descriptors than just average land surface temperature, or one could ask about other scenarios than the ones given. For example what would happen if we reduced methane emissions but not altered CO2 emissions etc etc.

But there are plenty of other scientific disciplines in which yes/no questions do come up. "Does a neutrino have a rest mass?", for example, was an open question not so long ago.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#22 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-06, 11:59

Screw Mars. That's the Martians' problem, so long as my taxes aren't going to fix their problem. :P
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#23 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2011-June-06, 15:46

View Postcherdano, on 2011-June-06, 05:41, said:

Maybe it's a complicated question with many possible answers, but the only correct answer is a simple "YES"?

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-June-06, 07:03, said:

It strikes me as absurd to frame AGW as a yes/no issue.

evidently, "absurd" is in the eye of the beholder
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users