Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Takeout X with later bid Distinguishing strong vs. competitive hands

#1 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-16, 21:39

1. Specific question - Is 2 here showing a big hand with spades (too strong to overcall), or is it just competitive?

2. General question(s) - How can partner distinguish between the monster hands and hands where you just want to compete? Can we only be competing in partner's suit, or would we ever bid a new suit just to compete to the next level?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-16, 22:55

View Postbd71, on 2011-August-16, 21:39, said:

1. Specific question - Is 2 here showing a big hand with spades (too strong to overcall), or is it just competitive?

2. General question(s) - How can partner distinguish between the monster hands and hands where you just want to compete? Can we only be competing in partner's suit, or would we ever bid a new suit just to compete to the next level?

1- Yes it shows exactly what u hold. Strong hand, stronger than the top range of your overcall structure. This range vary for people but in general 1 level overcalls are apprx. 8-16(17) 2 levels are (9)10-16(17).

2-If you start DBL and then bid a new suit over pd's pass or over his simple responses, you are strong, period. If you had a weaker hand and wanted to just compete, you should have then started with overcall at the first place.

Although some may argue that pd's 2 was not forced, he would never bid it without your DBL, he has expectations. Of course he should not have a hopeless hand but non forced 2 here is nowhere close to a jump 3 bid which is non forcing too.For example i would definetely bid 2 with x xxxx KJxxxx xx

There is an exception to your question #1, which is called ELC (equal level conversion) but i find it very harmful to play for players less than adv+ or expert level. In fact i would not recommend any high level treatments without knowing why you need it by your own playing experience. But you are on right track and asking the right questions, such as "Competitive or strong ? " "How do we know pd has which.."
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2011-August-17, 06:53

Agree with MrAce. Also, the reason one makes a takeout double is either to solicit partner's opinion about the best strain to play in, OR to show the big hand. With a hand that wanted simply to suggest playing in spades and didn't have lots of extras, you would have just overcalled 1S. Partner's 2D bid doesn't preclude playing in spades, either; the auction is still live, so if 2H gets passed around to partner with say, 6 diamonds and 4 spades, he can still balance with 2S.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#4 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-17, 08:00

View PostMrAce, on 2011-August-16, 22:55, said:

2-If you start DBL and then bid a new suit over pd's pass or over his simple responses, you are strong, period.

I did not think it was this clearcut, but am willing to be corrected. Suppose in this hand I had something like 3154 shape with 12-13 HCP...should I not be competing to 3D in that situation?

This issue arose because partner held (approximate) Qxx xxx KJxxx Tx, the bidding continued after the 2 with 3 from one of the opponents (can't recall which) and 3 by me which is passed out. 3 making 6 with K onside.

I thought partner could have raised to game. He thought I might just have been competing for the partscore. I thought that in this instance it should be clear I would have a strong spade hand (any hand that merely wanted to compete would have bid 1 or 2).

However, I did think there are situations where further bidding by a takeout doubler would just be competitive...but probably only if I was raising partner's suit after interference.

So with all that as background...is it truly so clearcut that 100% of bids after a TO X show a monster, or are there some situations where it is just competitive?

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-17, 08:31

Raising partner's suit does not show a strong hand. Bidding a new suit shows a strong hand. Bidding NT shows a balanced hand too strong to overcall 1NT. So raising partner is competitive (to force, bid the opponent's suit). Everything else is strong (including, I believe, a repeat double).
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-August-17, 09:04

Disagree with the previous posters. While I don't disagree that 2 shows a good hand it does not show a 6th spade. So 3 for me.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2011-August-17, 13:42

View PostPhil, on 2011-August-17, 09:04, said:

Disagree with the previous posters. While I don't disagree that 2 shows a good hand it does not show a 6th spade. So 3 for me.

I find this really interesting. While I agree that 2S doesn't guarantee six spades, I have never heard of a non-jump new suit rebid by doubler denying a sixth card.

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-August-18, 00:51

Wow. Did you really say this or did you mean "this hand's value + 6th+ texture can be showned by 3 better" ? If so i have no objection and i actually like it.

But if u meant what you wrote, I DBL you ! you are plain wrong imo. 2 does not deny 6th . In fact first time i heard this.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-August-18, 03:05

"It does not show 6" is not the same as "it shows exactly 5".
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#10 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2011-August-18, 09:29

Thanks Gwnn. :lol:

Yes, MrAce, I bid 3 to show the overcall texture of the hand and the 6th spade, which 2 does not promise.
Hi y'all!

#11 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-18, 10:18

View Postgwnn, on 2011-August-18, 03:05, said:

"It does not show 6" is not the same as "it shows exactly 5".

I realize this, but my initial reading of Phil's wording was that he was suggesting that trump length was the determining factor in the 2S/3S decision. My mistake.

Phil, do you have any way to quantify this? I am used to playing a style where double-and-bid shows just about any hand from "a little too strong for a simple overcall" up to "just short of a game force". I like heavier simple overcalls than a lot of people, so this range isn't as great for me as it might be, but I can see how this still isn't optimal. Is partner expected to raise your double-and-jump suit with any hint of a cover card or ruffing value? Or, is the OP's hand an exceptional case because partner has already shown some values, so you are just showing a beefier-than-minimum hand (with a 6th spade)?

#12 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2011-August-18, 11:16

I agree with Phil here about bidding 3. This hand is an absolute monster of playing strength, even though the K is often offside. PD's 2 bid was a free bid so he should have a little something and I expect game to be a big favorite, especially if he has any help at all in .

.. neilkaz ..

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-August-18, 16:22

View PostPhil, on 2011-August-18, 09:29, said:

Thanks Gwnn. :lol:

Yes, MrAce, I bid 3 to show the overcall texture of the hand and the 6th spade, which 2 does not promise.

English is not my native language, so i will let u slip with this :P (Joke m8)

However, even what u just wrote above is insufficient to bid 3 IMO. Make this hand 6223 6313 with same 6 card and same texture and same hcps, it is not even close to jump to 3 imo.

AKT987
xx
Ax
AQJ

AKT987
xxx
A
AQJ

#14 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2011-August-18, 16:54

Do you think the texture of these hands is the same as the OP's?

If no, then we agree.
Hi y'all!

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-August-18, 23:18

View PostPhil, on 2011-August-18, 16:54, said:

Do you think the texture of these hands is the same as the OP's?

If no, then we agree.

Actually i gave u 7 instead of 6.

Perhaps i use the word texture as "Spots" and the word "shape" for disribution. I maybe wrong on this.

#16 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-19, 00:04

I don't know about anybody else, but I certainly didn't say that 2 shows a sixth spade, much less that it "promises" one. If the argument is that some hands with six spades are sufficient strong that they should be shown with a jump, I won't disagree with that, although I also think that some hands with six spades aren't good enough for that.

IOW, for me, double and bid a new suit shows at least 5 cards in the suit.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-August-19, 00:25

I learned that the jump shows something like an Acol 2 while the simple new suit is generally like the top range of an opening 1 bid (but can be stronger). And with a stronger hand to cue bid. My understanding is also that "suit texture" refers to what MrAce calls texture above whilst "hand texture" is what Phil wrote ("texture of the hand") and refers to the hand as a whole. It seems to me difficult to strongly criticise either 2S or 3S - the hand qualifies for both and it is thus more a matter of style imho. On balance I think 3S gets the message of the hand across best but I would only bid 2S with some partners as a KISS tactic.
(-: Zel :-)

#18 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-23, 09:19

View Postdaveharty, on 2011-August-17, 13:42, said:

I find this really interesting. While I agree that 2S doesn't guarantee six spades, I have never heard of a non-jump new suit rebid by doubler denying a sixth card.

I understood Phil's post as saying "I would bid 2 here with the same high-card and spot cards and 5224/5134 or similar shape. The actual hand is so much stronger for playing in spades that I don't want to make the same bid."

This makes sense to me, though I don't agree with it. Partner's 2 bid showed values, which makes my 2 bid forcing. (Double-and-bid after partner showed some values is always forcing.)
I can bid 2 and rebid a non-forcing 3, which shows the 6th spade and is non-forcing, whereas I would take a direct jump to 3 as game-forcing. I don't think I should game-force with this hand, especially as we will often have 2 club losers.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-August-23, 13:35

View Postcherdano, on 2011-August-23, 09:19, said:

Partner's 2 bid showed values, which makes my 2 bid forcing. (Double-and-bid after partner showed some values is always forcing.)

Partner didn't necessarily show much in the way of values; it's not as if you doubled and partner had jumped. There does not seem to be room, really, for partner to have anything in high cards -- he may have a near bust with a 5-card diamond suit.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users