• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Behaviour on the table

#1 User is offline   farrnbach 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-August-22, 02:40

More an issue how should I behave ....

You sit at a table, unknown p, read his card as sayc, tell him that this is ok, play starts

Bidding goes
1 - 4 (alerted as splinter, this IS std in sayc, or?)

and p starts to ask, "cue bid ?"

How should I behave? Is there a standard behaviour page some where?
Different in tournaments/bridge club?

This is not a question when playing with a std. tournament p, as we would have a full convention card in this scenario, only what to do on a random table
(similar question was 1NT - 2 Transfer?)

#2 User is offline   Porreankel 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-August-22, 02:48

Well - its complicated imo.

My experience is that playing at a casual online bridge table it is actually okay to ask this kind of questions the first time the problem arrives. If I were to play for fun against unknown opp's I would not mind if they got theese issues cleared.

Ofcourse it is a different matter if I were playing a tournament.

www.bridgetime.org

#3 User is offline   mck4711 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diving, Climbing, and again - Bridge

Posted 2011-August-22, 03:21

There are several possibilities why (s)he is asking:
- beginner
- doesnt know SAYC (though mentioned)
- making fun
- you can think of more reasons

At a tournament - IMO - you should not answer. At a "normal" table you may want to explain, but still you feel bothered to explain standard sequences on a - IMO - basic level. In this case it might be one option to play a couple of hands more and then then leave politely the table.

I think there is no established "code of conduct". It depends on you, and on the other people at the table. At a random table you can always have this kind of problem.

#4 User is offline   farrnbach 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-August-22, 03:27

After I wrote this, I was thinking that the best would be an open chat message with something like
"o: may I explain this to p?"

and then after a yes/no act accordingly, o were allready informed
or is this allready an UI to p?

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-22, 03:40

I think it is best to ask the opps for permission to answer or to simply stay silent. AFter all the opps have the correct explanation and can transmit the information if desired. This gets complicated at a table where the opps do not speak English. What I have always felt is quite wrong is to simply answer partner's question. When you make a bid like a splinter with a random partner you know the risks - if you are not prepared to live with them then you need to choose a different course. Otherwise the way is clear for online conventions such as "2-way 2s" and the like.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-22, 03:54

In the Relaxed Club, I personally always explain to the table if anyone including p asks, and don't mind opponents doing the same. While it's possible to cheat like this, I'm willing to live with that risk to avoid ridiculous auctions.

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-22, 06:47

View Postfarrnbach, on 2011-August-22, 02:40, said:

1 - 4 (alerted as splinter, this IS std in sayc, or?)

BBO's library of stock convention cards includes these three:
ACBL SAYC
SAYC - Standard American Yellow Card
SAYC

The last of these includes splinters, the first two do not. So, it is not clear whether splinters are on in your scenario. It would, of course, be helpful if BBO would give another name ("BBO SAYC"?) to the third one, so it would be easier for partners to quickly agree on which they were using.

View PostPorreankel, on 2011-August-22, 02:48, said:

My experience is that playing at a casual online bridge table it is actually okay to ask this kind of questions the first time the problem arrives. If I were to play for fun against unknown opp's I would not mind if they got these issues cleared.

My MBC experience is the same.

#8 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-22, 09:08

if opps think your p is entitled to an answer they can tell him how you alerted the bid.

if they don't think so they won't and your p has a guess.

but opps may not think that it is up to them to decide in that way. so it is better to discuss at the beginning if we can all agree that it is ok to discuss system details during the hand.

as others have said, in a tournament or team match it is clearly a no-no
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2011-August-24, 08:11

View Postfarrnbach, on 2011-August-22, 02:40, said:

More an issue how should I behave ....

You sit at a table, unknown p, read his card as sayc, tell him that this is ok, play starts

This was discussed elsewhere although and it was generally agreed that most people who say SAYC just mean 5-card majors and strong NT.

I'm sure I read somewhere in the FAQs of help section that we should self alert when it is not clear what a bid is. Personally I wouldn't even try a splinter unless the profile says so or they are A/E with lots of logins because, as I have found to my cost, even self alerting doesn't guarantee partner will understand.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-24, 10:39

View Postfarrnbach, on 2011-August-22, 03:27, said:

After I wrote this, I was thinking that the best would be an open chat message with something like
"o: may I explain this to p?"

and then after a yes/no act accordingly, o were allready informed
or is this allready an UI to p?

You can ask opponents in private " may i explain him..?" If they say yes, you do, if they say no u remain silent. This way your partner will not see the convo between u and them, thus no UI.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users