#1 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-11, 21:20

A non-scientific auction with silent opps gets you to 3N at IMPs

Lead 3

Dummy: Q84 - QJ732 AQ853

Declarer: AJ7 AK872 T6 J92

At my table I played low from dummy and won the 9 with my J. Is that normal?

What should I play to trick 2?
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-12, 00:49

View Postjonottawa, on 2011-September-11, 21:20, said:

A non-scientific auction with silent opps gets you to 3N at IMPs

Lead 3

Dummy: Q84 - QJ732 AQ853

Declarer: AJ7 AK872 T6 J92

At my table I played low from dummy and won the 9 with my J. Is that normal?

What should I play to trick 2?

I would play small too at first trick. U need to make 5 tricks to make 3 NT because if RHO holds hand and plays a even if 4-3 split they score 2+2+1 before u make 9 tricks. I would play J and finesse, if it gets covered, win the Ace and i wld play to T, if smart RHO plays his honor and leads 2nd no harm in finessing, if that loses and they clear s, then cash AK and play 9 to finesse. Even if 4-1 when LHO hold 4 of them u can make 5 tricks as long as RHO's stiff is 7 or 6.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-12, 14:50

I'd play the spade queen. If it holds I'll play a diamond to the 10. I pay off if LHO led from 109xx though so perhaps I'm biased by reading the results.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-September-12, 20:08

View Posthan, on 2011-September-12, 14:50, said:

I'd play the spade queen. If it holds I'll play a diamond to the 10. I pay off if LHO led from 109xx though so perhaps I'm biased by reading the results.

You pay off much more than that i think. Unless of course opponents are known to follow the rule "2nd hand plays low"

- When u play Q of and then play a , RHO can jump his honor and play , and defeat when everything was split perfect for you.

- When RHO has both AK, he can take first and play , which u have to duck, and LHO now can clear suit and your last entry to hand, which makes it very messy, but he can also shift to and they play another when hold with 2nd . Which forces you to make 2 fast tricks.

- If LHO has AK , or split honors and RHO failed to jump his honor, LHO will win and play a . Even if you are lucky to find 3-3 , u have 3+2+2 tricks and still need 2 fast tricks since suit is now wide open. (Also LHO can simply play K and kill your communication with hand but unlikely defense)

Those were mainly the hands where suit was split friendly for you, there are other scenarios where it doesn't split 3-3 and only a very few of them works for you, if any. No need to mention, in most of those hands where you make 3NT, it would not matter whether you took first trick with Q or J in hand. You need finesse to work eventually in most of the hands, the hands that can make this 3 NT with K offside are not that many imo.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-13, 01:16

I'd do the same as han, perhaps against opponents I play once a year I would not.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-September-13, 05:00

View PostFluffy, on 2011-September-13, 01:16, said:

I'd do the same as han, perhaps against opponents I play once a year I would not.

You have a legit way of making 9 tricks when u play low to first because u make 3 tricks if the lead is from

- T963
- T953
- T9632
- T6532

Chances of making 5 tricks is about % 23 + one of these leads makes it somewhere arround % 27 or 28. Making 3 tricks is % 39 but unfortunately it brings to 8 tricks only and need 2 fast tricks, i think thats like % 20. I maybe wrong about these numbers, just calculated roughly, it maybe off.

#7 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-17, 03:05

Thanks for the analysis. I followed MrAce's line and this time it was unsuccessful.

Movie
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users