BBO Discussion Forums: had enough yet? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

had enough yet? 5305 20 count, partner freebids spades!

Poll: had enough yet? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you bid now?

1. 5S (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 6S (12 votes [63.16%])

Percentage of vote: 63.16%

3. 5H (6 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

4. Some other grand slam try (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-October-30, 13:52

Maybe you don't agree with the choices up to this point, but I was looking for some life from partner after his free bid, now we got it.... what now?
Wayne Somerville

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-October-30, 14:10

There seems to be some wastage in diamonds, so I'll just settle for 6S now. Should have some play for.

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-October-30, 15:00

Will look for club king. 5H now.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-30, 15:03

Pd made a free 2 bid, he either has 5 or at least Qxxx and some values. He doesn't have K for sure. Problem is how many he has ? If he has xxx it is dangerous but depends on his shape really. He is likely to have 4 since RHO did not raise after his initial pass.

If he has 5143 one of the going on .
If he has 5242 looks we are okay

If he has only 4 trumps and/or less than 4, then things get complicated but he has to have a reason to bid a free 2 and then not to bid 5 over 5 with this. Depends on how he interpreted the 5 bid. Are u asking help or you have good and worried about suit since the contract is wrongsided ? He already showed no interest over splinter, now his 5 is actually encouraging, after all he could shut down by 5 bid imo.

I would bid 6 now and in the worst case he may play for Kx doubleton with opener.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-October-30, 15:04

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-October-30, 15:00, said:

Will look for club king. 5H now.

He already told he doesnt have it and u dont need it in many cases anyway.

Qxxxx xx ??xx xx
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-October-30, 16:48

View PostMrAce, on 2011-October-30, 15:04, said:

He already told he doesnt have it (club king) and u dont need it in many cases anyway.

Qxxxx xx ??xx xx

When did he deny the club king? While he was denying any type of heart control over 4D? I don't think I would have bid 5C as advancer with QXXX(X) XXX KXX KX(X)

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-October-30, 17:19

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-October-30, 16:48, said:

When did he deny the club king? While he was denying any type of heart control over 4D? I don't think I would have bid 5C as advancer with QXXX(X) XXX KXX KX(X)

You are not listening to bidding. You are focused on very small part of the bidding (control cues) and missing the whole picture.

He denied when he did not bid slam or 6 over 5. As u said very well he denied control and we are still bidding 5. He would have bid slam with K already unless he thinks u are bidding 5 for the sake of bidding something. And i repeat, you probably dont need K to make slam.

You are also focused on K too much. J is as good as K. Among possible shapes he may have, 5233 without J is the only one that seems to be worst for slam but then again why did not he shut down with 5 over 5 ?

5 is probably last attempt he can make, how much more do you want him to bid with a hand QJxxx xx KJxx xx or Qxxxx xx KJx Jxx ? Most people would not even bid that much with these hands and shut down already over 5. Stop torturing your pd :)

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-October-30, 18:50

You are focused on slam. I am focused on a grand. For a small slam we don't need the club king, and we are not stopping short of six.

If Partner's 5D was because you bid 4D...showing a control as well, he still might have XXXXX XXX KXX KX.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-October-30, 19:06

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-October-30, 18:50, said:

You are focused on slam. I am focused on a grand. For a small slam we don't need the club king, and we are not stopping short of six.

If Partner's 5D was because you bid 4D...showing a control as well, he still might have XXXXX XXX KXX KX.

If u are telling me you will lift his 5 to slam, u deserve to be lifted to grand with xx and A or with Qxxxx Qx Axx xxx.

#10 User is offline   cnszsun 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2011-October-30, 19:09

5D must have showed ace after knowing your diamond shortness, then he can't have club king anymore. 6S still has fair chances but not so attractive, so i guess it's close to 6.
Michael Sun

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-October-30, 19:12

Besides, if u are going to bid grandslam on K, why all this trouble ? Bid 4 NT over 2 and then bid 5 NT to ask specific kings, or is it too simple and practical bid for forums ?

EDIT: xxxxx xxx Kxx Kx is not an option for pd to have for reasons i already explained. But if i were OP, i would just bid 4NT over 4 just to be able to aks K later and save everyone from solving a puzzle.

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-October-30, 19:34

View PostMrAce, on 2011-October-30, 19:06, said:

If u are telling me you will lift his 5 to slam, u deserve to be lifted to grand with xx and A or with Qxxxx Qx Axx xxx.

Back to the title: "Had" enough yet?" Yes, when you start assuming partner is a moron who would raise 6S to seven with that.

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-October-30, 19:37

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-October-30, 19:34, said:

Back to the title: "Had" enough yet?" Yes, when you start assuming partner is a moron who would raise 6S to seven with that.

Not really, pd may think "if my pd is not a moron, he could learn my K simply by asking for it, thus he must be looking for doubleton or Q in suit "

Because asking a 3rd round control in a side suit eventhough available, not as standart as asking specific Kings. I dunno what OP really meant by the title of this topic, since he seemed to choose the fancy cue bid path for grandslam hand instead of asking partner what he was supposed to be asking clearly. And now you expect partner to ignore this fact and act as if we are moron and not bid grand. Maybe he will not maybe he will, whatever the outcome is, we are the ones who is starting all this mess instead of being clear about what we want to learn from pd.

Your turn cmon

#14 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-October-30, 19:50

O.K., if my moron bids a grand over 6S with XXXXX QX AXXX XX, I will accept the luck. Not all of us have specific king asks at our disposal, so we probably wouldn't consider Wooding with a void earlier in the auction to set it up.

The cue bid route seemed normal at the time.

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-October-30, 21:05

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-October-30, 19:50, said:

O.K., if my moron bids a grand over 6S with XXXXX QX AXXX XX, I will accept the luck. Not all of us have specific king asks at our disposal, so we probably wouldn't consider Wooding with a void earlier in the auction to set it up.

The cue bid route seemed normal at the time.

I said Qxxxx Qx Axx xxx and if u are telling me u dont have the specific kings in your disposal but solve the grandslam hands by cueing, more power to ya, it just sounds funny to me to be honest, sorry. It always amazed me how imaginative people can be when they decide to defend something that doesnt make sense at the first place.

View PostMrAce, on 2011-October-30, 19:06, said:

If u are telling me you will lift his 5 to slam, u deserve to be lifted to grand with xx and A OR with Qxxxx Qx Axx xxx.

Basically the way u choose to bid, i think u tell your pd that you have the AK imo. And trying to figure his cards for grand. But all these as i said before requires interpretation of both partners. I said it is funny because when someone doesnt use specific kings, they will have to go thru this torture sessions each time at 5 level, sometimes they will be in same wavelenght and sometime they won't.

And even when u dont play specific kings, you can still bid 4NT over 4 and bid 6 to ask him to lift with help. Don't tell me this asks 3rd round control in suit, because this will also be funny to be able to ask specific 3rd round control but not be able to ask specific K by agreement. (since u dont play specific kings)

#16 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-31, 03:57

Timo partner doesn't hold K, he has A partner is not stupid and won't cue a useless king.

A gets rid of the heart, and now we have good chances in 6, if no trump loser all we need is K or J or doubleton in partner's hands, even xxx can be enough with 5 trumps ednplaying west on a non club lead. Q A K is not science fiction but I don't think I'll ever be comfortable enough to bid grand anyway.

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-October-31, 04:38

Any takers for 4NT after 4S here? Of course we do not really care too much whether we hear 0 or 1 but it gives the chance to find out simply about the CK without having to make any assumptions about what partner may or may not be thinking about.
(-: Zel :-)

#18 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-31, 05:54

The hand was part of an online junior trials tourney yesterday. I was tempted to post this as an ATB.

Trumps 3-1 and the K offside meant even 6S went off 1, losing 5.67 in a very mixed field. One other pair got to 6S-1, there was one 5S-1, a 4S+1 and the rest were partscores (!!). On the round after, one of the directors pm'ed me saying that although its not a terrible slam, he thinks I've said enough after bidding 5C and seeing 5D come back and should just sign off.
Wayne Somerville

#19 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-31, 06:36

View PostZelandakh, on 2011-October-31, 04:38, said:

Any takers for 4NT after 4S here? Of course we do not really care too much whether we hear 0 or 1 but it gives the chance to find out simply about the CK without having to make any assumptions about what partner may or may not be thinking about.

I was thinking the same thing.
If partner has the A , then your Ht loser has a parking spot.

Next, you can ask for the Q ... if he has it, you will find out about the K as well.
If Q but no K, then you can hope he has the J.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#20 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-October-31, 06:48

I don't like partner's 2. I would have gotten to 6, too.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users