BBO Discussion Forums: A player says a player from another table is looking at her cards - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A player says a player from another table is looking at her cards

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-06, 07:45

This is AEB land, where mostly EBL applies I guess.

My sister had this problem directing at a local club (low level, most people over 65), a woman said that a NS player at another table was looking at her cards on a board that he is going to play next. What should you do in this situation?

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-06, 08:09

View PostFluffy, on 2012-January-06, 07:45, said:

My sister had this problem directing at a local club (low level, most people over 65), a woman said that a NS player at another table was looking at her cards on a board that he is going to play next. What should you do in this situation?

I think I would just make an announcement, directed at nobody in particular, that players should avoid seeing or hearing about boards they have not played yet. Maybe later check with the complainant if there appeared to be any further issue.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-06, 08:10

I would tell the old dear to hold her cards closer.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-January-06, 10:10

There is also a passive defence against most such peeking: make sure that the tables are lined up exactly parallel, so that there are two bodies blocking the line of sight into NS hands at the next table. If there are 13 tables and you put 1-7 in one row and 8-13 in the other, put 7 NEXT TO 8 and 13 next to 1, with a gap in the middle of that line, rather than have 7 diagonal from 8 or 13 diagonal from 1. If the room is not crowded leave extra space between the two lines. It doesn't stop people seeing hands they will play in an hour, but it stops the majority of accidental peeks, and makes it more obvious if someone is twisting and bending all over the place to try to see past his partner to the next table.

#5 User is online   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-06, 10:18

Nothing should be done without adequate facts.

imo, of prime importance is avoiding blowback- shall we say doing something that might taint [in any of many different ways] the comparison of one or more boards. For a lack of a better term I call it dealing with third party interference.

For instance, we are not told if the accused took cards from a particular board, got out of his cair to see a board in play, whether it was possible that the accuser could be mistaken as to the particulrs of what she saw, or be a calculated lie. An investigation into such things invariably is a delicate and sensitive matter- and should be something that the director has given some thought to during his training.

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-06, 10:28

I would thank the player for telling me privately (hopefully) and tell her I will look into it then try to observe direct evidence, perhaps enlist another discreet player or 2 to keep an eye out.

Might take some time unless you have a spy cam but if true I would handle it with a private chat in this more casual atmosphere. If the offender is indeed proven to be that, not knowing who or how many caught them out should put a stop to it.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-January-06, 11:02

View Postggwhiz, on 2012-January-06, 10:28, said:

I would thank the player for telling me privately (hopefully) and tell her I will look into it then try to observe direct evidence, perhaps enlist another discreet player or 2 to keep an eye out.

Nice. Would hold off on enlisting assistance until I had gotten at least some small indication that there was merit to the complaint. Why? Because there isn't very much "discreet" going on with that age group :rolleyes:
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-06, 16:40

View PostVampyr, on 2012-January-06, 08:10, said:

I would tell the old dear to hold her cards closer.

Don´t know for sure, but perhaps she was dummy.

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-January-06, 18:30

View PostSiegmund, on 2012-January-06, 10:10, said:

There is also a passive defence against most such peeking: make sure that the tables are lined up exactly parallel, so that there are two bodies blocking the line of sight into NS hands at the next table.

I would bet that most clubs do not have enough room to do this.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users