BBO Discussion Forums: Your call over partner's balancing double - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your call over partner's balancing double

Poll: Your call over partner's balancing double (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Your Call ?

1. 3D (4 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. 3H (2 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

3. 3S (18 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

4. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-December-12, 19:07

You're South with the above hand, NS Vul, BAM scoring, East is dealer

Bidding goes:

E------S------W------N

2C*----p-----2nt*----P

3C-----p------p------X

P------?

2* = 11-15, 5 + 4 card Major or 6+

2nt* = weak hand in or strong hand to be clarified later
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-December-12, 19:13

3 for me, I will pass over 4 from opps, but at least will be able to bid 4 over partner´s 4

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-12, 19:37

Call me crazy (Why not? I am.), but I choose 4C now. Guarantees the correct trump fit, and they will bid 4C anyway, so might as well. It wasn't one of the choices for the poll, because the OP isn't crazy.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-December-13, 01:49

4C is my bid too, and there's nothing crazy about it. Actually, it's quite obvious if pard can be trusted to have his bids.

Reason: pard passed 2NT and seems to have some 3 clubs. He must have some sort of strong NT hand, so game seems in the picture. Since pard with 44 majors might have doubled 2NT anyway, he probably has only 1 of those, making 4C even more important.

#5 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-December-13, 06:17

I thought 4 was too much. Why didn't partner enter before? 4=4=4=1 in front of another $=4=4=1 won't do much good. 3.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-December-13, 07:07

3. Partner didn't double 2NT, so we can't possibly have enough for game. Since we're merely contesting the partscore, all suits are equal, so I may as well bid my best one.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-December-13, 09:24

View Postgnasher, on 2011-December-13, 07:07, said:

3. Partner didn't double 2NT, so we can't possibly have enough for game. Since we're merely contesting the partscore, all suits are equal, so I may as well bid my best one.

Did you notice its BAM?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-December-13, 09:47

View PostPhil, on 2011-December-13, 09:24, said:

Did you notice its BAM?

No, I didn't. I'd bid 3 at BAM.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-24, 10:54

http://bridgewinners...-3c-or-balance-
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."

#10 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-25, 15:20

Pro tip: Play X of 2N as a light takeout, and pass then X is stronger. This lets you get in over 2N with the light takeout hand type without risking anything.

#11 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-December-25, 15:53

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-December-25, 15:20, said:

Pro tip: Play X of 2N as a light takeout, and pass then X is stronger. This lets you get in over 2N with the light takeout hand type without risking anything.

How does that work when, over 2NT, we don't yet know if responder on our right is weak or strong and partner has not acted directly after 2C? Just asking.

The part about not risking anything is what I don't understand. Can't opener just pass and find out whether responder wants to kill us?

#12 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-December-25, 16:18

I would think the opposite would be true. If RHO has a GF two suiter, this is an auction we want to steer clear of, especially with a 'light takeout'. If we have a solid hand, then the chances are greater RHO is making the nuisance raise to 3{cl] via 2N, and if we have a good hand we have better protection when RHO is loaded.

I would not think LHO is obligated to accept the transfer after 2N - (x) - but there may be nuances.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#13 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-25, 16:50

It doesn't matter what you play here. As long as you play immediate double of 2nt or subsequent double of 3 as t/o in the classical sense of shortness in s, you can not enter the auction at all, as your hand doesn't qualify as either kind of t/o. When the auction becomes to you after 3 you have to produce an action double and partner has to play his role by passing, with the understanding that the doubler can not be short in s. As I mentioned in the other poll, if your partnership is aggressive enough to double opener's 3 with such hands anticipating balancing problems for partner, that's great, as partner has enough to convert, otherwise partner has a practically impossible balancing problem. Well, of course nobody says you have to do anything. Defending 3 undoubled to lose the board is perfectly fine, especially if you're the opposing side.

#14 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-December-25, 22:03

View Postsathyab, on 2011-December-25, 16:50, said:

It doesn't matter what you play here. As long as you play immediate double of 2nt or subsequent double of 3 as t/o in the classical sense of shortness in s, you can not enter the auction at all, as your hand doesn't qualify as either kind of t/o. When the auction becomes to you after 3 you have to produce an action double and partner has to play his role by passing, with the understanding that the doubler can not be short in s. As I mentioned in the other poll, if your partnership is aggressive enough to double opener's 3 with such hands anticipating balancing problems for partner, that's great, as partner has enough to convert, otherwise partner has a practically impossible balancing problem. Well, of course nobody says you have to do anything. Defending 3 undoubled to lose the board is perfectly fine, especially if you're the opposing side.

Posted Image

#15 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-December-25, 22:12

Yes, Justin. But could you explain what Phil and I are missing about that direct double of 2NT?

#16 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-December-26, 01:53

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-December-25, 22:12, said:

Yes, Justin. But could you explain what Phil and I are missing about that direct double of 2NT?

I suppose it depends on what "GF hand to be clarified later" means. Assuming it is a 5-5+ GF 2 suiter (not clubs) which is what "everyone" who I have seen play this 2N bid as plays it, then the odds that they have the GF 2 suiter rather than just a raise to 3C are very small to begin with. I have played this way for many years now, and I have only had the GF 5-5+ maybe 3 times ever. If you then take into account that you have short clubs, length everywhere else, and some values, it becomes even less likely.

ETA: I have, however, seen people go for a number several times on 2C p 2N p 3C p p X. I have also gone for a number on that auction. It was suggested to me by Geoff Hampson to reverse X of 2N and balancing with a double. Admittedly, it's different depending on what the strong hand types included in 2N were, I probably should not have assumed, but I think I know who this board was played against if it was in the Reisinger.

#17 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-26, 02:05

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-December-26, 01:53, said:

I suppose it depends on what "GF hand to be clarified later" means. Assuming it is a 5-5+ GF 2 suiter (not clubs) which is what "everyone" who I have seen play this 2N bid as plays it, then the odds that they have the GF 2 suiter rather than just a raise to 3C are very small to begin with. I have played this way for many years now, and I have only had the GF 5-5+ maybe 3 times ever. If you then take into account that you have short clubs, length everywhere else, and some values, it becomes even less likely.

ETA: I have, however, seen people go for a number several times on 2C p 2N p 3C p p X. I have also gone for a number on that auction. It was suggested to me by Geoff Hampson to reverse X of 2N and balancing with a double. Admittedly, it's different depending on what the strong hand types included in 2N were, I probably should not have assumed, but I think I know who this board was played against if it was in the Reisinger.

Even if you assume that 2nt is rarely GF in other suits and that it's most often a prelude to a weak sign-off in s, how can you double 2nt when you have length in s yourself ?

#18 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-December-26, 04:00

I don't think Justin is suggesting treating K9 A742 K73 KJ94 as a "light takeout" double. Or at least I hope he's not.

Regarding the poll on Bridgewinners, you definitely can't act once partner has shown interest.
Do you have UI? Yes.
Does the UI suggest double over pass? Yes.
Is pass a logical alternative? Yes.
So double is illegal.

Regarding the question of whether you should act in an unpolluted auction, your argument seems to be "On this deal, if I'd passed we'd have lost the board; therefore it's right to act." A single deal is a single data point; the fact that you got lucky (very lucky, looking at the two hands) this time doesn't make it right to double.

#19 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2011-December-26, 04:28

View Postgnasher, on 2011-December-26, 04:00, said:

I don't think Justin is suggesting treating K9 A742 K73 KJ94 as a "light takeout" double. Or at least I hope he's not.

Huh? I must not have read the thread very well, I don't even know that hand lol.

#20 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-December-26, 05:06

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-December-26, 04:28, said:

Huh? I must not have read the thread very well, I don't even know that hand lol.

You have to follow the link Satthya posted to a poll on BridgeWinners:
http://bridgewinners...-3c-or-balance-

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users