• You cannot reply to this topic

76 low

#21 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-December-31, 21:42

ahydra, on 2011-December-31, 16:48, said:

Why not pass? Partner has made a penalty X. Would rather not go for -800 instead of +100.

ahydra

Partner did NOT make a penalty double. Partner has a good hand with support for the other suits.

MrAce:

" i just could not construct a hand that is NOT good enough to start double, but good enough to force me to bid at 4 or 5 level red vs white and MP scoring."

Really? What about
Axx x KJx AKJTxx

As Cherdano posted, if you double, what are you going to do over 4H. If you pass, do you realise that this might be a double game swing? Would you really double with this hand?

"Sometimes DBL to a game contract means "i will defeat them" I would not be surprised to see pd holding

x AQT Axx AJxxxx"

Really? If pd held this he knows nothing about competitive bidding
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-31, 23:26

the hog, on 2011-December-31, 21:42, said:

Really? What about
Axx x KJx AKJTxx

As Cherdano posted, if you double, what are you going to do over 4H. If you pass, do you realise that this might be a double game swing? Would you really double with this hand?

I guess i am the only one who thinks this type of hands are too good to start 2 with stiff in opponent suit, especially when i have no reason to fear pd bidding my short suit. All of this because we think LHO will bid 4.

And of course just because Cherdano said, it is always LHO who has the long and bids 4 when we start double, not the pd who passes 2 with Kxx JTxxx xxx Qx or xxx JTxxx Axx Qx or JTxxxx Kxxx Qx x :)

I also think you misunderstood, 1-2-4-p-p-DBL is %100 take out for me as well, and i said this in my previous post. But the auction in this topic is not same to me in regards to they are having a big fit. It is perfectly reasonable that they may have bid 4 because they have too many HCP to stop b4 game and a fit.

There is not even an argument about what to bid with this current hand when we are sure pd has 3136 16-17 hcp. There is no disagreement to pass with this hand either if we believe that pd meant business with his DBL. It all comes down to your style of starting with 3136 and 17 hcp. If you guys were my partner, then of course i would bid 4, if i played with someone like me who starts with DBL with those hands and loves to DBL when opponents cross the line then i would pass. Simple as is :)

I have to admit though, i would never think starting DBL over 1 with 3136 and 17 hcp is overwhelmingly a minority choice untill this topic. I respect to majority and always take a step back and rethink my methods when some decent players strongly suggests so. So let it be 4 :)

HNY to all of you :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#23 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-January-01, 02:38

Good discussion here. Pard held Qxx x AKx AKxxxx.

I bid 4S which was about to go down down 1 (WD Cherdano) but bridge is a funny game. LHO sitting with A AKQJxxx xxx xx bids 5H, so we collected 300.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#24 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-January-01, 07:18

blackshoe, on 2011-December-30, 10:30, said:

I suspect that wasn't a spelling error, but a typographical one.

You are probably right.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#25 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-01, 15:55

I think partner is more likelly 2236 than 3136, but even in that worst case we still have double fit. And then you can think about 3127....

#26 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-January-01, 16:55

Why would partner X with 2236?

#27 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-01, 19:16

JLOGIC, on 2012-January-01, 16:55, said:

Why would partner X with 2236?

because he has 17-19

#28 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-January-01, 20:20

Fluffy, on 2012-January-01, 19:16, said:

because he has 17-19

I didn't realize that was written into the laws of bridge, sorry.

#29 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-01, 22:33

Easiest 4 in the history of this forum and maybe even bridge.
Move one spade to diamonds and it's probably still 4S although now it's a debate.
Also what's up with those crappy 16hcp with 3spades ? I mean, we didn't bid after 2, we are vulnerable. Partner is not doubling just because he has some 16 (or 18) hcp. He is probably 6-4 in blacks. Maybe 3-1-3-6 with real powerhouse.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users