BBO Discussion Forums: Claim with an outstanding small trump - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Claim with an outstanding small trump How best to apply "equitable to both sides"?

#1 User is offline   nicolec 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-January-12, 04:36

In a club teams match Declarer is on lead from dummy playing in a heart contract. He claims conceding a trump in this end position. Dummy 1085 5 - opposite a winner and 3 cards. Declarer thinks the trump out is the J. It is in fact the 7 and is sitting under the 1086. Do you award 3 or 4 tricks to declarer?

#2 User is offline   nicolec 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-January-12, 04:37

Oh yes the defender with the trump is following to the diamond

#3 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-12, 06:53

Presuming that declarer has tried to withdraw his concession, the answer is yes, you award 3 or 4 tricks to declarer, you will find people to argue for both results. Personally I award 3 tricks. I think a player under the impression that there is a winning trump out might carelessly play any trump at random from table, thinking it doesn't matter which. You don't tell us whether the defender is ruffing diamonds, but it would also be a normal play when there is a winning trump out to cash the side suit winner first.

#4 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-12, 07:18

View Postnicolec, on 2012-January-12, 04:36, said:

In a club teams match Declarer is on lead from dummy playing in a heart contract. He claims conceding a trump in this end position. Dummy 1085 5 - opposite a winner and 3 cards. Declarer thinks the trump out is the J. It is in fact the 7 and is sitting under the 1085. Do you award 3 or 4 tricks to declarer?

Three tricks.

A claimer who is running winners may be considered to always play a suit from the top, but a player who is trying to give up a trick that he believes he must lose might well lead out a small card. This is a normal line of play in this (perceived) situation and so the defence are awarded one trick.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-12, 07:45

View PostVixTD, on 2012-January-12, 07:18, said:

Three tricks.

A claimer who is running winners may be considered to always play a suit from the top, but a player who is trying to give up a trick that he believes he must lose might well lead out a small card. This is a normal line of play in this (perceived) situation and so the defence are awarded one trick.

Not true, only if he's sure there's only one trump out, the statement of "conceding a trump" is consistent with J2 or J7 missing, in which case he leads from the top. Clarification may establish he thought that there was only one missing in which case you're right.

#6 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-13, 08:25

View PostVixTD, on 2012-January-12, 07:18, said:

A claimer who is running winners may be considered to always play a suit from the top, but a player who is trying to give up a trick that he believes he must lose might well lead out a small card.

It depends on the class of player involved, and what he says. Let us say he states, "you get a trump". If he has A32 and there is one trump out, he does not lose a trick, as it is worse than careless to start with a small card. With AK2 and two out, it is worse than careless to start with the 2, even though he has said "you get a trump". With J108 and two out - declarer thinks there is 9xx out - again it is worse than careless to start with the 8. By analogy with the situation where declarer is deemed to lead the suit from the top when running winners, I see no difference. If starting with a low card can never gain, then it is not "normal". Nor is it equitable.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#7 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-13, 08:54

View Postlamford, on 2012-January-13, 08:25, said:

If starting with a low card can never gain, then it is not "normal".

But that is to assume the player actually goes to the trouble of making a conscious choice of which card to play. When a player having a bunch of spot cards he hasn't even looked very carefully at, and considers to be all of equivalent rank, he often does just play the one by his thumb, he doesn't go to the effort of making a conscious choice as to which one to play. I know I do that sometimes. So I think playing a small one in the situation of this hand is a reasonably commonly seen carelessness.

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-January-13, 09:13

View Postiviehoff, on 2012-January-13, 08:54, said:

But that is to assume the player actually goes to the trouble of making a conscious choice of which card to play. When a player having a bunch of spot cards he hasn't even looked very carefully at, and considers to be all of equivalent rank, he often does just play the one by his thumb, he doesn't go to the effort of making a conscious choice as to which one to play. I know I do that sometimes. So I think playing a small one in the situation of this hand is a reasonably commonly seen carelessness.

I never ever do this, and nor to my knowledge does anybody else, you always play from the top in case you've miscounted.

#9 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-13, 09:22

View Postlamford, on 2012-January-13, 08:25, said:

It depends on the class of player involved, and what he says. Let us say he states, "you get a trump". If he has A32 and there is one trump out, he does not lose a trick, as it is worse than careless to start with a small card. With AK2 and two out, it is worse than careless to start with the 2, even though he has said "you get a trump". With J108 and two out - declarer thinks there is 9xx out - again it is worse than careless to start with the 8. By analogy with the situation where declarer is deemed to lead the suit from the top when running winners, I see no difference. If starting with a low card can never gain, then it is not "normal". Nor is it equitable.

Doesn’t this assume as fact that which is not in evidence?

'there is one trump out,'
'and two out,'
'and two out '-

...as in who asserted there were two out....?

What I mean is that when claimer asserts that E has the CAKQ while we may not know what he would do about it at least we know whether he is right or wrong. The point being that if he says nothing then we know nothing. Is it really the right thing to do to act as though [claimer knows] there is but one trump outstanding when in fact there is exactly one trump outstanding yet claimer asserts nothing about it?

#10 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2012-January-13, 10:21

View Postaxman, on 2012-January-13, 09:22, said:

The point being that if he says nothing then we know nothing.

Indeed many claims are silent, and what he knows has to be assumed, partly by his ability, and partly by the play to that point. However, if he knows nothing, it is still normal to lead suits from the top. If he has AKQxx and he has no idea how many trumps are out, he will only fail if someone has four or more. Similarly if he has 986 of trumps he will fail if someone has a trick or more when they are led from the top. It isn't 'careless' to lead the six first, it is 'abnormal'. Someone with AKQ102 would not lead the 10 even if they thought there was one card out and it was not the jack. It seems ridiculous to deem that someone plays from the top down in some situations and not in others!

How would you rule if someone with AKQxxxx opposite a void, said "a trump to you" if they broke 3-3? VixTd would rule that you may as well start with a small one, as you think (or hope) they are breaking 4-3, and you are trying to give up a trick.

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-13, 12:02

I suppose you could ask declarer (before any defender's hand is faced) how many trump are out. One problem I've had with this is that I asked declarer, and one of the defenders answered! I was tempted to rule in declarer's favor because of that. :blink: :D
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#12 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-January-13, 18:14

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-January-13, 09:13, said:

I never ever do this, and nor to my knowledge does anybody else, you always play from the top in case you've miscounted.

I do it, and some of my opponents do. If I have JT8 and the remaining trumps are Q7 I might easily play the 8, and I am not the only one who does so.

The problem with this top down business is that not everyone does it. Sure, no-one plays the 2 from AK2, but from a mish-mash like JT8 I would agree the majority lead high - but a majority is not a good enough excuse.

View Postlamford, on 2012-January-13, 10:21, said:

Indeed many claims are silent, and what he knows has to be assumed, partly by his ability, and partly by the play to that point. However, if he knows nothing, it is still normal to lead suits from the top. If he has AKQxx and he has no idea how many trumps are out, he will only fail if someone has four or more. Similarly if he has 986 of trumps he will fail if someone has a trick or more when they are led from the top. It isn't 'careless' to lead the six first, it is 'abnormal'.

Wrong: it is careless, but is a play that players make because their mind is on other things.

View Postlamford, on 2012-January-13, 10:21, said:

How would you rule if someone with AKQxxxx opposite a void, said "a trump to you" if they broke 3-3? VixTd would rule that you may as well start with a small one, as you think (or hope) they are breaking 4-3, and you are trying to give up a trick.

Players do not lead the x, so the defence does not get a trick. That does not affect the fact that players do lead the 8 from JT8 or the 6 from 986 when they "know" it makes no difference.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#13 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-14, 04:25

View Postbluejak, on 2012-January-13, 18:14, said:

I do it, and some of my opponents do. If I have JT8 and the remaining trumps are Q7 I might easily play the 8, and I am not the only one who does so.

May I ask how often you do it and then find out that you were wrong?

#14 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2012-January-14, 05:43

View Postbluejak, on 2012-January-13, 18:14, said:

Wrong: it is careless, but is a play that players make because their mind is on other things.

All of us have pulled the wrong card at some time or other. But the intent of the law, in particular restoring equity, is that a player should not be forced to make pointless plays such as leading the lowest card of a suit. A careless player might lead low from AKQJx because his or her mind is on other things.

#15 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-14, 18:02

View PostStevenG, on 2012-January-14, 04:25, said:

May I ask how often you do it and then find out that you were wrong?

Never that I remember.

View Postlamford, on 2012-January-14, 05:43, said:

All of us have pulled the wrong card at some time or other. But the intent of the law, in particular restoring equity, is that a player should not be forced to make pointless plays such as leading the lowest card of a suit. A careless player might lead low from AKQJx because his or her mind is on other things.

But he woudl not regularly play low from AKQJx: a player who knows the nine has gone would often lead low from JT8.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#16 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2012-January-14, 18:58

View Postbluejak, on 2012-January-14, 18:02, said:

a player who knows the nine has gone would often lead low from JT8.

Indeed if the nine has gone, all three cards are normal. If the nine has not gone, only the jack and ten are. In the claim law, one is allowed to notice if someone has shown out of a suit ("unless an opponent failed to follow to the suit of that card before the claim was made, or would subsequently fail to follow to that suit ... etc"). By analogy, one is allowed to notice that a significant card has not yet been played. Certainly one would not lead the lowest card of a suit if there is any doubt.

#17 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-14, 19:16

If there is no doubt then people will not claim in such a way. Of course a player who gives a trick to the queen has no doubt, and is merely mistaken when it turns out to be the nine.

Really, Paul, players that never make mistakes, never make false claims.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#18 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2012-January-14, 19:24

View Postbluejak, on 2012-January-14, 19:16, said:

Really, Paul, players that never make mistakes, never make false claims.

The question is how much of a mistake we make the claimant make. If the player had claimed silently, would you make him lead the 8 from J108 when the nine is out? That seems contrary to the principle of equity. Players fail to notice that someone shows out, but the Laws give them five tricks with AKx opposite Q10xxx in no trumps when RHO shows out on the second round. It would clearly be careless not to notice someone show out, and continue with the queen on the third round. We should apply a similar principle to which card to lead from any suit.

#19 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-15, 03:32

For anyone who always knows exactly what spot cards are remaining, it is not irrational to play any card from equals, because they are guaranteed to be equals. (Bluejak has admitted that he is in this category.)

However, the rest of us learn from our mistakes. If we lose tricks due to carelessness, we try not to do it again and think how to play a suit to avoid memory errors. It almost invariably means playing a suit from the top, and, thus, playing a low card does become irrational.

For a player in the first category to say "I do it" and then use that as a reason to say it is not irrational for a player in the other category to do the same is illogical. It is not about equity, as the laws demand - it is merely a fiction used as a device to justify ruling (wrongly) against players.

#20 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-January-15, 03:48

View PostStevenG, on 2012-January-15, 03:32, said:

However, the rest of us learn from our mistakes. If we lose tricks due to carelessness, we try not to do it again and think how to play a suit to avoid memory errors. It almost invariably means playing a suit from the top, and, thus, playing a low card does become irrational.

But a player who makes a false claim has plainly not learned from his mistakes, is not succeeding in his efforts not to do it again, and is showing evidence of a lack of thought.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users