BBO Discussion Forums: ATB - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB

Poll: ATB (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Whose fault is 3Dx+1 at IMPs?

1. Completely West's fault (1 votes [2.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

2. Mostly West's fault (3 votes [7.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.32%

3. Evenly East and West's fault (5 votes [12.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.20%

4. Mostly East's fault (21 votes [51.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.22%

5. Completely East's fault (11 votes [26.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.83%

6. no blame -- unlucky (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-25, 09:42

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-25, 10:03

West may be a little light for the double, but east passing it is just bizarre.

3x-2 won't be great either, so west shares some blame. OK, it might only be -1 and might not be doubled, but even so there's not much to gain versus -130 defending 3.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-25, 11:45

IMO, the blame goes to the one who, at these colors, started the problem.

Of course East's pass of the double was ludicrous. A reasonable East would have selected 3S, incurring a less bad result.

But E/W really couldn't get a good result after West's double. They should be at least minus 200. That double is one of those "Didn't you notice I opened the bidding?", or "Did you forget to make a negative double last time?" calls.

That is why West should get the blame for a bad board. East gets the blame for it not being a bad board in 3S.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-January-25, 13:56

aguahombre, on 2012-January-25, 11:45, said:

That is why West should get the blame for a bad board. East gets the blame for it not being a bad board in 3S.

Yes, they were both insane.

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-25, 14:11

Frances said what I was going to.

#6 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-25, 14:12

east is mad. west is bad.

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-January-27, 06:29

Both streched.

#8 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-January-27, 06:37

I voted mostly East because I have a little more (not much of course) symphaty for Wests double. He has the perfect shape and it could be possible, that they will miss a major fit, if he passes now. At least he was right with this. :) Still his double is insane, but nothing compared with East choice.
Passing 3 Diamond doubled is simply not bridge as I know it.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#9 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-27, 11:35

Wests double carries some risk but it is probably worth it in the long run, much depends on partners style for the negative double. FOr me I would not ever double with less than about 8HCP if I only had one major, might stretch a little with both, so 3S could easily be cold.

Also, if east bids 3S confidently, there is no reason to expect NS to double them. Obviously seeing the EW hands we would like to double, but give east AQxxx x xxx Jxxx and 3Sx would probably be cold, and its reasonably unlikely either of them can know enough to tell the difference. Sure sometimes you catch south with QJ9xS, but that means the other has a stiff spade and a ten card diamond fit, and might easily choose not to sit it.

I think that wests double is fine. Passing would also be fine, its partly a style thing of whether you want to be in this auction, sure bad things can happen, but good things can happen too. Sometimes 3S will me making, sometimes they will go on to 4d, some times 3s-1 will save a few imps anyway.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#10 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-27, 11:40

Bbradley62, on 2012-January-25, 09:42, said:

I suspect if the east hand had been ATxxx Kx xxx xxx

suddenly everyone would be much more forgiving about wests action. Although then we would have to put up with all the NFB crowd telling us how wonderful it would be to bid 2S on this hand. :)

Also, you didnt say what 1c was, and it makes a difference. If it is short in the style of "could be any weak nt with no 5 card suit" I think that failure to preprotect is a major error.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-January-27, 22:26

I appologize, this is what happens when u read 2 topics at the same time in different windows and try to upvote a thread and accidently end up upvoting another one :(

To me it is completely East's fault, since we are judging the doubled making 3, not what would happen to 3. But now reading other posters i think i am about to be convinced that it is hard to not assign any blame to west (as i didnt in my vote)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-January-27, 22:54

Of course East's pass of the double was ludicrous. A reasonable East would have selected 3S, incurring a less bad result.

But E/W really couldn't get a good result after West's double. They should be at least minus 200. That double is one of those "Didn't you notice I opened the bidding?", or "Did you forget to make a negative double last time?" calls.

I concur with what AH and Frances have posted. The majority of the blame, however goes to the failure to take out the very poor x.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#13 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-January-27, 22:54

I concur with what AH and Frances have posted. The majority of the blame, however goes to the failure to take out the very poor x.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#14 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-01, 12:31

I agree with the others that this is a question of who is more to blame. I cannot see doubling with west's hand - partner already had a chance to bid and did not. At IMPs you let them have their part score - East cannot possibly have enough for game. But at this scoring, East is nuts for passing. His partner should have a pretty good hand (not the actual hand) with something like 4414 shape. Where does he think that defensive tricks are going to come from? With just a bit more, I would think that East should be thinking about a spade game.

#15 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-04, 09:44

Bbradley62, on 2012-January-25, 09:42, said:

The result merchants criticize West with hindsight, the successful players might duplicate West's action.

Sure West's DBL is aggressive but he has ideal shape in the majors and corresponding shortage in . This DBL is really unlikely to backfire and 2 down undoubled at IMPs against a making part-score is no tragedy.
Who of the opponents will likely double a part-score at IMPs when holding a ten card fit in their own suit?
West can see that East might not be able to negative double when quite a bit stronger, but holding only one major and if East does reopen with a double how do West-East find the right major?
From West perspective it was really unlucky that his partner had only 5 working points and only 2 cards in . As it happens, opponents would probably do well in 3NT, but might well compete over 3 with 4. After all they do have a ten card fit.
Also note, that when opponents have a ten card fit it is rather unlucky when your side gets only an 8 card fit.
The chances for that to happen is 22.7%, In 47% of the deals you will have a nine card fit and in the remaining 30% of the deals you will have a ten card fit or better yourself.
This would not matter much, but it looks that the total number of tricks is probably significantly lower than 18 here.
Unlucky.

ATB for letting North South play 3

I consider the critic on West really overblown

Rainer Herrmann

#16 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-February-04, 13:55

rhm, on 2012-February-04, 09:44, said:

ATB for letting North South play 3

I consider the critic on West really overblown

Rainer Herrmann

There would have been no blame for letting N/S play 3. That is what should have happened. The blame for letting them play it doubled is clearly on East. The blame for creating a no-win situation is clearly on West.

#17 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-04, 15:04

aguahombre, on 2012-February-04, 13:55, said:

There would have been no blame for letting N/S play 3. That is what should have happened. The blame for letting them play it doubled is clearly on East. The blame for creating a no-win situation is clearly on West.

There is no question that East is at fault, but West? On my alternate layout I changed the East hand with an identical West hand and 4 is a very reasonable contract.
Letting opponents make a partial in would not be my idea of winning Bridge at IMPs

Rainer Herrmann

#18 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-February-04, 16:40

On your alternate layout, East should make a neg double IMO. He has club support in case West bids spades. When East doesn't make a neg double, West's double of 3D becomes poor. As described in an earlier post, it says "Did you forget I opened the bidding and forget to act over 2D?"

#19 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-05, 02:50

aguahombre, on 2012-February-04, 16:40, said:

On your alternate layout, East should make a neg double IMO. He has club support in case West bids spades. When East doesn't make a neg double, West's double of 3D becomes poor. As described in an earlier post, it says "Did you forget I opened the bidding and forget to act over 2D?"

Maybe East should make a negative double and maybe he shouldn't. I can already see the disaster happening when the EW hands are:

It would be different if East would actually have club support, but he doesn't.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#20 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-05, 03:56

Trinidad, on 2012-February-05, 02:50, said:

Maybe East should make a negative double and maybe he shouldn't. I can already see the disaster happening when the EW hands are:

It would be different if East would actually have club support, but he doesn't.

Rik

With my luck the bidding would go

If 2 over 2 is forcing any action other than Pass by vulnerable East is asking for trouble.

Rainer Herrmann

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users