• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB if any...

#1 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-February-12, 17:50

2/1, standard gadgetry

IMPs

"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-12, 18:00

north - he's too strong just to give it one go

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-12, 18:04

With North's hand I'd ask for aces and drive slam. Even opposite something really horrible like Qx QJxx KJx AQxx there's still some play.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-12, 18:13

N % 100

1NT-4
4-4NT (rkcb in )
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-12, 18:20

I don't like to RKC with that small doubleton, but either MrAce's auction, or continuing the actual auction with a 5 bid is better than what happened.

North 150%, South 10% for not being psychic.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#6 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-12, 18:33

View PostMrAce, on 2012-February-12, 18:13, said:

N % 100

1NT-4
4-4NT (rkcb in )

There is a 2nd "immediate" way to invite slam after a simple transfer... and that is to use the Meckwell gadget which allows Opener to get in on the decision ... since all Responder knows is that Opener will have at least 2 cards .

1NT - 2H!
2S - 5C! = "showing" 0/3 key cards w/6+ suit ( as if 4NT-RKC were bid )
??
..Opener, w/ 3 card support and "seeing" all key cards now asks for the Q :
5D! - 5S ( no Q )
6S

5C! is not confused with Exclusion because that would be defined by:
1NT - 4H! ( Texas)
4S - 5C! ( Exclusion )
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-February-12, 18:48

View Postgnasher, on 2012-February-12, 18:04, said:

With North's hand I'd ask for aces and drive slam. Even opposite something really horrible like Qx QJxx KJx AQxx there's still some play.

Can it be pretty much no play if partner has two aces, yes, Qxx, Jxx, AKxx, AJx is horrid, but you have to work hard to find a hand like this. It's much more likely it's making. A lot of the one ace hands can be good too although you may have 2 clubs off the top, I'd prefer to cue this than ask for aces, and would be inclined to bid 5 rather than 4N.

How much is shown by the 4 splinter ? To me I would like to be moving towards a slam anyway, or moving unless partner fails to show a heart card, otherwise I would take some other action, bidding 4 then passing 4 while holding a heart card shouldn't exist.

Is S expected to bid something other than 4 with a nice hand and no heart card ? If so you can easily be in 5 or 6 spades with xxx in both hands and everything else.

Tough hand, thinking as I do, you either have to invent a horrible 3 bid or if you bid 4, then follow up with 5 over 4 and I think I'd do the latter. Now the third spade and AK/A look huge.

#8 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-12, 18:55

Does it matter if the pair is playing LTTC?
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#9 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-12, 19:00

Silly question time... What does the acronym ATB stand for? Seen it a few times, context tells me it's "Attach The Blame" or some such thing... Couldn't find this in the Useful Abbreviations list. Thx!
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-February-12, 18:48, said:

How much is shown by the 4 splinter ? .

I think the current hand minus 7th is about the correct apprx slinter. I think 7th makes teh hand huge. Not only gives confidet about our trumps but also auto eliminates one of the side cards that we would be worried about.

AKJxxx
Axx
x
xxx

for example taking one of the x and making it a x is huge improvement to the hand. You are basically throwing a loser and putting another sure trick in your hand.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

assign

#12 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

View Postwyman, on 2012-February-12, 18:55, said:

Does it matter if the pair is playing LTTC?

I think we all assumed that everyone does (at least on this auction they do...what else could 4 mean?)

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#13 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-12, 19:01

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-February-12, 19:00, said:

Silly question time... What does the acronym ATB stand for? Seen it a few times, context tells me it's "Attach The Blame" or some such thing... Couldn't find this in the Useful Abbreviations list. Thx!

Close, it's Assign The Blame.

#14 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-12, 19:02

View PostBunnyGo, on 2012-February-12, 19:00, said:

I think we all assumed that everyone does (at least on this auction they do...what else could 4 mean?)

well, it could mean that you have a heart control...

#15 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-February-12, 19:48

For those who might object to an immediate Wood with XX in clubs, there is always Fuddy Duddy old Bridge (unavailable to the moderns).

1NT-3S (slammish...long spades, outside card.)
4C-Wood.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#16 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-12, 21:15

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-February-12, 19:00, said:

You are close: Assign The Blame .

On other message boards I have seen: WTB ( Who To Blame .... maybe that should be Whom To Blame ) .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -- -- --
What does LTTC mean ?
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#17 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-February-12, 23:08

I always assumed ATB meant "attribute the blame" which means pretty much the same thing anyway.

South is entirely blameless here, with a flat minimum and potentially wasted values in .
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#18 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-February-12, 23:52

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-February-12, 21:15, said:

What does LTTC mean ?

We could probably make up a silly meaning. But, I believe it is a confusion of LTC and LOTT, two tools not really related to each other.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#19 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-13, 00:03

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-February-12, 21:15, said:

You are close: Assign The Blame .

On other message boards I have seen: WTB ( Who To Blame .... maybe that should be Whom To Blame ) .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -- -- --
What does LTTC mean ?

LTTC is short for Last Train To Clarksville where the last cue before game becomes a general asking bid instead of a cue in the bid suit. The exact meaning of the ask is complicated to try and explain, depends on context, but usually not that complicated to work out at the table. Basically it means I'm still interested in slam but I haven't heard enough to go past game, can you help me?

(and has nothing to do with LTC [Losing Trick Count] or LOTT [Law Of Total Tricks]).

#20 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-13, 00:37

I think north undervalued his hand and south bid normally. Sometimes slams where you have an unknown 10 card fit missing the queen of trumps are hard to bid.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users