• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Clubs or Not Clubs

#1 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-March-01, 11:09

MPs

What's South got (besides some nerve for pulling this crap...)?
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#2 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-March-01, 11:45

Partner already denied a long suit. If he holds one or two majors AND decided to bid 1 NT instead, the 2 NT bid will surely not convince him that he should now look for a possible major fit. So, he showed clubs...
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-March-01, 12:01

Obviously this is Puppet Stayman, in case partner made a "practical" 2NT call with a five-card major.

I am of course joking, but I suppose I would bid as if it were Puppet Stayman at the actual table.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-March-01, 12:14

Hmm - If partner had long clubs & wanted to suggest it as a trump suit, the best way of doing that is passing 1X, so I'm going to reject that possibility.

My best guess: He's got regrets for bidding 1N with an xxxx club "stopper" & wants to know if you have it stopped.
Chris Gibson

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-01, 12:39

"Some nerve for pulling this crap" works for me, Wyman. Let's assume there is a reason he didn't pass 2NT, and unless he has a max (9-10) 1NT advance to the double, bidding anything over 2NT would be silly.

He isn't looking for a 3-5 Major fit, since opener doesn't have 5M. (Would have rebid 2M rather than 2N). If Advancer has diamond length he would have bid diamonds, now or earlier.

That brings us back to "some nerve for....". I guess accepting game, but hating his club stop is all that is left; but, what is partner supposed to do with that information?

Ah, wait a minute. I know the answer: advancer is having a brain-fart about 2NT being good/bad or Leben :rolleyes: , and this thread will morph into a ruling question due the UI involving alerts.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-01, 12:49

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-March-01, 12:39, said:

Ah, wait a minute. I know the answer: advancer is having a brain-fart about 2NT being good/bad or Leben :rolleyes: , and this thread will morph into a ruling question due the UI involving alerts.

Haha, I promise it's not that.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#7 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-01, 13:25

I have no idea. Does he have 2236 with 6 lousy clubs and a desire to turn a plus into a minus?
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-March-01, 13:58

When in doubt, assume natural.

I sure have doubt here....doubt that my partner knows how to play bridge.

I'm passing and, if possible, heading for the bar. Maybe I'll find out later just what insanity was going through his brain

I understand, sort of, the possibility that he lacks a club stopper, but in that case just wtf does he think we're going to do about it? I mean, it's great if we have a stopper, but then why didn't we overcall 1N? Our raise suggests 15 or so hcp, so why no 1N?

And if I don't have a stopper, as suggested by my double, just where are we playing this hand? I know I'd rather play 2N than a 3-level 4-3 fit with the long trump tapped (and possibly overruffed) at trick 3.

Maybe he should have thought about this sequence before making the constructive 1N bid.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-01, 14:10

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-March-01, 12:39, said:

hating his club stop is all that is left; but, what is partner supposed to do with that information?

View Postmikeh, on 2012-March-01, 13:58, said:

I understand, sort of, the possibility that he lacks a club stopper, but in that case just wtf does he think we're going to do about it?

Does it scare you sometimes, when we think alike? For me it is reinforcing; but it must worry you :rolleyes:

#10 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-01, 15:36

Playing devil's advocate briefly:

You hold something like

Q10x / K9x / Q10xx / Jxx

and want to express your values to partner but think that a jump in diamonds sounds like 5.

1N sounded like a pretty good spot if partner passed, but 3N red doesn't sound so good unless partner has clubs. Heck, 2N doesn't sound great if partner can't help in clubs. So what could partner have? If partner has, say, a 4414 15-16 count (so a 'defective' major-suit oriented 1N overcall), X doesn't seem so crazy, and you probably want to play in 3N. If partner's broke in clubs, it's _definitely_ not clear that 3D won't play well, and it's possible that you can reverse dummy in 3M and come to 8 or 9, scoring as well as 2N.

This hand in particular may be a clear-cut pass over 2N, but you can see what the 3C-bidder might have been thinking with whatever he held.

On the other hand, it's not at all clear to me that 3C is not a suggestion to play, hence the post.

#11 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-01, 16:13

a seven working count and 3 3 4 3 distribution, with a bunch of "quacks" looks like a 1 advance. But perhaps we are too old fashioned in our normal expectation for pard's double.

That was in reply to Wyman's devil example.

#12 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-01, 16:34

Totally fair Aguaman: Make it A10x / K10x / J109x / J8x, or whatever example hand fits your parameters for a 1N advance but is concerned after the 2N raise.

#13 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-02, 00:27

4414? yuck dude.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#14 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-March-02, 00:31

Interesting. DNE for me. If I had 6 clubs and a yarborough and I didn't want to pass, I sure as hell wouldn't bid 1N lol. 1N shows some values especially when they open clubs, you could just bid a 3 card suit at the 1 level otherwise. I can't think of any hand I'd bid 1N with with no club stopper though either, maybe 3334 10-11 count with 4 small? If I did that though I'd continue with the bluff and bid 3N, where am I going if not 3N anyways?

If it happened at the table I would not pass. Natural and NF just is not possible in my book.

#15 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-02, 00:42

I really have no idea :)
My wild guess would be weakish 6 clubs which didn't want to pass 1C but now when partner showd balanced hand it started to look better to play there. At the table I am almost surely not passing, too much chance partner is on different wavelength.

On different note:
1N - 2C
2D - 2N (invite)
3C/3D = ? :-)

Or:

1N - 2N (nat invite)
3C/3D = ?

#16 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-March-02, 00:44

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-March-02, 00:42, said:

I really have no idea :)
My wild guess would be weakish 6 clubs which didn't want to pass 1C but now when partner showd balanced hand it started to look better to play there. At the table I am almost surely not passing, too much chance partner is on different wavelength.

On different note:
1N - 2C
2D - 2N (invite)
3C/3D = ? :-)

Or:

1N - 2N (nat invite)
3C/3D = ?

Both of those are to play imo with like a 6 card minor and 14 or w/e.

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-02, 01:50

So i have good enough to play at 3 level but not good enough to defend 1 doubled ?

This 3 is not to play.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#18 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-02, 02:42

I am not convinced that it should be natural but:

So i have good enough ♣ to play at 3 level but not good enough to defend 1♣ doubled ?

this is not fair.
If responder has KQx Qxx xx T98xxx or something like that he is not thrilled to pass 1C, because partner is quite likely to have strong hand with club shortness (and possible long suit on the side too) and playing in 1C is a disaster in such case.
Once partner bid 2N things change considerably though as now the worst thing which can happen is 4-4-4-1 in partner's hand, usually we flop 2+clubs though.

One other meaning which makes sense to me is a hand lacking club stopper with extras, something like: KQx KQx T9xx xxx maybe.

#19 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-02, 02:51

Sometimes hands like this worry me, because if you start your thinking with whether it can be natural you arrive at the conclusion that it's not so it must be artificial, but if you start your thinking with whether it can be artificial then no it's not so it must be natural! Sherlock Holmes' famous quote should be amended by "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. But first check whether it's possible!"

It is a guess here and I would guess weak with long clubs.

Artificial meanings I've been thinking about:
-super max with 5 diamonds
-pick a major with 3316

No need to tell me that they are weird - I know! That's why I'm playing partner for long clubs.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#20 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-March-02, 03:41

Obviously this is mini-Gerber! Just pretend you have 3 aces and bid 3NT, then let partner sort it out in the play.
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users