• You cannot reply to this topic

Swedish Club in Competition

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-14, 16:19

1 = 11-13 bal or 17+ any

I've been following Swan 4.0 from Dan's website mostly, in general it says "RP assumes the weak hand and uses methods based on the transfer principle. Bids are (usually) FG opposite a strong opener. (NB! An ART pass by OPP is treated as a NAT pass.)", and here is what it offers for 1-(2X):

DBL of 2X is T/O ("Stayman") - weak OP usually rebids 4-c M or 2/2NT (does not promise a stopper). OP’s 3m is NAT strong, and so is 2NT over a DBL of 2 – lacking a 4-c M, weak OP always rebids 2.
RP’s rebids in m are NF, in M F1. Spades over hearts promises only a 4-c suit.

2Y: NAT, but T/O (primarily weak) in the OPP’s promised 5-c suit.
Over strong OP’s 2NT, RP’s may use TRF - see RP’s TRF to 2X.

2NT: TRF to 3; either weak with any suit below X (including X if X was ART) or clubs and INV. Weak OP may accept a game-try with clubs by bidding 3.
RP’s rebids below X are sign-off. Higher rebids have the same meaning as after a 2-level TRF.
Special: Over 2 NAT (5+), 2NT shows 6-c diamonds and a 4-c Major, FG. Weak OP bids 3 to show a stopper, otherwise 3.

3m/: TRF, INV+. OP’s 3X ASKs for a stopper (weak or strong).
If OPP has promised a 5-c suit, TRF to that suit is FG with a 6-c minor and a 4-c Major. Weak OP shows support, bids 3NT or accepts TRF (may also be strong).

3: TRF to 3NT. (After a 1NT opening, 5-5 in the two lowest unbid suits.)

4m: TRF to 4M (even if OPP’s suit). OP’s relay is strong, and CTL may follow.
OP’s 4NT is RKCB.

OK, I guess my options are pass and double, right? I'd like to double to show I have GF values opposite a strong hand, and it will work out well opposite the weak hand if I hear 2 or 2. If I hear 2, however, I will have to bid 3.

What do you think?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-15, 03:15

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-March-14, 16:19, said:

OK, I guess my options are pass and double, right? I'd like to double to show I have GF values opposite a strong hand, and it will work out well opposite the weak hand if I hear 2 or 2. If I hear 2, however, I will have to bid 3.

DBL of 2X is T/O ("Stayman") - weak OP usually rebids 4-c M or 2♦/2NT (does not promise a stopper). OP’s 3m is NAT strong, and so is 2NT over a DBL of 2♣ – lacking a 4-c M, weak OP always rebids 2♦.
RP’s rebids in m are NF, in M F1. Spades over hearts promises only a 4-c suit.

I am probably missing something but why can you not bid 2 over 2? The posted defence seems to treat this as Crawling Stayman which is pretty much what you have.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   wclass___ 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-15, 03:18

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-March-14, 16:19, said:

I'd like to double to show I have GF values opposite a strong hand, and it will work out well opposite the weak hand if I hear 2 or 2. If I hear 2, however, I will have to bid 3.

If partner has GF values pass is fine now.

Opponents probably have a heart fit and it is unlikely we will be allowed to play in 2.

I think by given methods Pass is slightly better, but not by much. I do understand partscore swings = 6-7 IMPs, but we have quite defensive hand and bidding is not over yet.
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..." --sathyab

#4 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-15, 03:26

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-March-15, 03:15, said:

I am probably missing something but why can you not bid 2 over 2?

I agree this is certainly what I would do when I'm playing our 2-way club. I would also regard this as NF, though - the quoted text seems to define it as F? I don't think passing on the first round is a bad alternative to double, either - this is close to the boundary, and I wouldn't object to partner doing either.

#5 User is offline   dcrc2 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-15, 18:11

I'd bid 2. I don't really understand what the notes say about this bid but I'm interpreting it as natural and not forcing. (That's what it should be, anyway.) There is some risk of playing 2 in a 5-1 fit but I think it's worth the risk to show our values and get the 5-card suit into the auction.

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-16, 04:22

View Postdcrc2, on 2012-March-15, 18:11, said:

I'd bid 2. I don't really understand what the notes say about this bid but I'm interpreting it as natural and not forcing. (That's what it should be, anyway.) There is some risk of playing 2 in a 5-1 fit but I think it's worth the risk to show our values and get the 5-card suit into the auction.

I think they say it's natural and not forcing unless the 2 bid showed 5+ diamonds (which it didn't in this case). Yes, I suppose it's possible, I thought the suit is perhaps a bit weak but it might well be our best spot opposite the weak NT.

BTW, since you mention a 5-1 fit... do you open 1 on 4414 hands?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   dcrc2 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-16, 13:30

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-March-16, 04:22, said:

BTW, since you mention a 5-1 fit... do you open 1 on 4414 hands?

Yes. I'd forgotten Swan uses a Precision 2 opening.

You don't need a good suit to bid at the 2-level - to me this is one of the biggest advantages of a two-way club. 2 will be a fine spot opposite any weak NT, and (more importantly) invites partner to compete to 3 if opp bid 2 or 3.

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-16, 13:38

View Postdcrc2, on 2012-March-16, 13:30, said:

Yes. I'd forgotten Swan uses a Precision 2 opening.

It does, but I'm not necessarily planning to and would be happy to dump these hands into 1 if it seems workable.

Thanks for your thoughts about 2 here!
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-22, 16:00

I think negative freebids are less convoluted than these doubles that don't promise any particular shape.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users