• You cannot reply to this topic

Another one (atb)

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-May-23, 19:46

"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-23, 20:09

North was not at the table. South's 3D reopening is questionable on shape, but opposite someone who just sits there, it is hard to know what to do as opener.

If I had forgotten to make a negative double as North, and woke up when South bid 3D, I would be slamming now...so this pair gets a better score for their +50.

With a sensible double of the 2H overcall, we can get to a diamond game easily enough.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-May-23, 20:58

Did North only have Pass cards in the box?
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2012-May-23, 21:36

After seeing this thread and the last one you posted where he pulled the penalty X, I suggest playing with a different North next time. Passing here shows extreme ineptitude. North has a MASSIVE hand in support of as well as a fitting J and honestly should be concerned about missing 6 if he passes noting the a 10 card fit is quite likely. I would cue 4 with the north hand rather than the sleeping pass.

#5 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2012-May-23, 21:43

View PostStatto, on 2012-May-23, 20:58, said:

Did North only have Pass cards in the box?

Unless pulling one of Kathryn's penalty X's it seems that he/she did....... How on earth can N not make a negX and then pass after 3 reopening?

#6 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-May-25, 00:29

I prefer a reopening double with the South hand, but North cannot stay silent over the existing 3 rebid. 7-losers suggests 5 is likely and 6 is not impossible.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#7 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-25, 01:47

This must be some sort of record - I disagree with the last 7 bids shown.

West has a 3H bid, assuming it's a preempt.
North has an easy negative double.
East should raise.
South should reopen with a double.
West has no business rebidding hearts.
North has clearly left the table.
East, having passed the previous round, is arguably worth a raise.

That surely is enough blame to go around.

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-May-25, 09:26

I don't understand why you post hands like this when you have a pretty good sense of what the answer is.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#9 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-May-25, 10:39

Sometimes I post hands because my partner has disagreed with my opinion and has asked me to post, other times I think it may be a good instructional hand for other intermediates. Most frequently I post hands because I am sure that I could have made a better bid or alternatively, I'm confident that I have made the right bid and it is a reality check for me. I am a "C" player but most often choose to play up or am dragged into A by my partners. The people I am playing with and against have considerably more experience than I do so being opinionated at the table is something I avoid, even when I know that I'm right :) I still like to come here and check but I admit that this hand was a far stretch.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#10 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-25, 11:19

I really dont like any of the bidding after 2H.

North has an obvious double.
East has a 3H raise. With 2S available for a good raise, 3H should be non, or at best, semi constructive.
South has an obvious double. I rate 3d to be a significant error after 2h p p . You could be locking in a negative when 2Hx is 500 opposite a hand like x KJ98x xx AJxxx. - an extreme example, but there are plenty of others where you are giving up 500 with no game on.

The 3H bid is beyond absurd. They has an 8 count with a mediocre suit and no real side suit distribution, and an auction where you have possibly already been rescued from a penalty pass.

North passing after a 3d bid is, well, I don't know what to say. I would rather bid 6d than pass 3H. If north had hit a perfectly normal AKxxx xxx AKxxx - grand is very good, and you might not even beat 3H if you are particularly unlucky.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#11 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-May-25, 11:42

View PostPhil, on 2012-May-25, 09:26, said:

I don't understand why you post hands like this when you have a pretty good sense of what the answer is.

Obviously north is cuckoo or in a vegetative state, but JB may have thought that 3D was completely normal, and it's instructive to have so many people disagree with that bid [even if here it should have really worked out]. And maybe N/S both thought pass was normal by N after 2H (but already people have suggested that N should X). So these type of hands can definitely be useful to have people look at.

I don't think we should discourage people from posting hands like this, even if they seem pretty straightforward, and since JB should not be posting in the n00b forum, this kind of stuff has to go here. I think it's totally fine to post even straightforward bread-and-butter type hands in here, and posters can feel free to talk about their weird gadgets and whatever else as well. I/A seems (to me) like it should be kind of a free-for-all.

Just my $0.02.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#12 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-25, 16:31

n failed to neg x over a 2h overcall that looks
more like a 3h bid to me. S needs to reopen with
x in case p has a penalty pass of 2h and they can
use ELC to convert 3c to 3d.

After the 3d bid N displays a complete lack of
trust in S bidding by passing. Enough has been
said about this pass already so let me say that
I would have tried 3h myself (since I would be
willing to try 3n if p can bid it). Once p cannot
bid 3n (they will probably bid 3s or 4d) I would
make one stab at slam with 4h before settling in
5d. If p were to jump to 4s or 5d I would bid 6d.

#13 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-May-25, 17:38

View PostPhil, on 2012-May-25, 09:26, said:

And even when it seems obvious that the blame lies with my partner, there is often something I did to contribute to it or something that I could have done better...

View PostSteveMoe, on 2012-May-25, 00:29, said:

I prefer a reopening double with the South hand,

View Postsfi, on 2012-May-25, 01:47, said:

South should reopen with a double.

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-May-25, 11:19, said:

South has an obvious double.

View Postgszes, on 2012-May-25, 16:31, said:

S needs to reopen with x in case p has a penalty pass of 2h and they can use ELC to convert 3c to 3d.

(still learning)

#14 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-May-25, 17:56

I don't like bidding after 2H. North need to learn to play bridge. he had an obvious x the first time. Failure to bid after 3D indicates that perhaps he is a member of the Cistercian Order and has taken a vow of silence.
By the way 2H isn't a great bid and 3H is ridiculous.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users