• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

setting up a complicated defence

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-16, 15:15

lead Q wich is normally QJx, KQx or QJ10(x) (King asks for unblock) declarer ducks first as partner encourages, next comes K and declarer takes and it willl become obvious that declarer has Ax

Next declarer will run 5 clubs, he has AKxxx

plan your 3 discards

Spoiler

#2 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-June-16, 20:47

Looks like I give up the J and 2. Tempting to keep a but I can't see the undertrick with only 4s in my hand.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-June-16, 22:14

Partner will not have a lot. With dummy's 5 and my 9 hcp, and the 20-21 promised by declarer, we can see that partner will have 5 or 6 hcp

Partner has none in spades, and one in clubs (from the spoiler). That means partner can not have AQ because that would give him 7 hcp (one too many).

Declarer can always make 9 tricks. He has one certain trick in spades, five in clubs. And he must have heart queen or ace, and if he doesn't have the A, then he will have the diamond AK. He can always get 9 tricks without a problem if he plays on hearts. He may even have A and A so there is 9 tricks (AK-heart plus A diamond).

I guess our one chance it persuade him that we have five spades and that he needs his 9 tricks without winning a heart trick (when partner has the A. This will not be easy. Declarer has to have the AKJ. We need to be seen to be abandoning hearts while denying values in that suit AND give a false count in hearts.

Since you play lavinthal, discard a discouraging heart signalling for the obvious spade (throw the T). Then discard two more hearts giving count of "four" originally (whatever your carding agreement is). IT would be fantastic if you could show "three hearts", but partner's discards will make you having three hearts not be believable.

Declarer will work out that you are either 5-4-2-2 or perhaps 4432 (three diamonds). Declarer might then go with the odds of the Q being in the hand with the long diamonds (your partner) rather than risk spades being divided 4-4. Your partner will have to help by never discarding a spade, although if he gave a readable count on the 2nd round of spades, the cat maybe out of the bag now anyway.

Alternatively, declarer may find it hard to believe you didn't overcall 1 with five to the KQJ to mess up their 1 auction. So an alternative plan is to make him think you guys have unblocked spades and it is partner who has the five card spade suit. The way to do that is to discard the J then deny anything in hearts, this time telling the real story about having five of them. It just depends upon what declarer knows about how willing you are to step into their auction with any excuse.
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-June-17, 01:30

View Postinquiry, on 2012-June-16, 22:14, said:

I guess our one chance it persuade him that we have five spades and that he needs his 9 tricks without winning a heart trick (when partner has the A. This will not be easy. Declarer has to have the AKJ. We need to be seen to be abandoning hearts while denying values in that suit AND give a false count in hearts.

Since you play lavinthal, discard a discouraging heart signalling for the obvious spade (throw the T). Then discard two more hearts giving count of "four" originally (whatever your carding agreement is). IT would be fantastic if you could show "three hearts", but partner's discards will make you having three hearts not be believable.

Declarer will work out that you are either 5-4-2-2 or perhaps 4432 (three diamonds). Declarer might then go with the odds of the Q being in the hand with the long diamonds (your partner) rather than risk spades being divided 4-4. Your partner will have to help by never discarding a spade, although if he gave a readable count on the 2nd round of spades, the cat maybe out of the bag now anyway.

In this scenario, you'd only have to make two discards - declarer has to take the diamond finesse after the fourth round of clubs.

However, I don't think this is believable, because Fluffy said that Q lead is "normally from QJx, KQx or QJ10(x)". Partner wouldn't encourage with 10xx.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-June-17, 02:37

This isn't the answer on the card, but I think we have to play for declarer to be off-range, something like Ax Axx KJx AKxxx. I discard one diamond and two hearts, then hope he misguesses.

He may also play me for KQJx 109xx AQx xx, and try to strip me of hearts then endplay me. He shouldn't do that, because he should know partner has a spade entry.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-17, 17:08

I made a small typo, declarer held AKQxx and the bidding was 22-23, other than that, he had exactly the hand gnasher showed.

I decided to discard all my spades and one heart fearing some AQx hand also, when declarer next cashes A with Q falling and another one, it becomes a short of mind game, if I play J he can duck and play me for A (with or without queen) or he can win and guess diamonds next. I could also play low and then if he plays K wich is normal he has no clue how to play diamonds I think. But it looks a bit rare that I pitch Jx with A in my hand so probably it was wrong, pitching one diamond instead of last spade as suggested by Steve would be much better.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users