#1 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-June-28, 08:23

I really didn't expect the Supreme Court to rule the way they did...
Alderaan delenda est

#2 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-28, 08:27

I was rooting for a 5-4 in favour :D...
foobar on BBO

#3 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-28, 08:32

4 votes (including Kennedy) for "entire act unconstitutional", Roberts voting that mandate is not constitutional under commerce clause, only under taxing power -- this couldn't have been closer...
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-June-28, 08:42

A victory for common sense.

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-June-28, 08:51

View Postcherdano, on 2012-June-28, 08:32, said:

4 votes (including Kennedy) for "entire act unconstitutional", Roberts voting that mandate is not constitutional under commerce clause, only under taxing power -- this couldn't have been closer...

I agree that the restrictions on the Commerce Clause are worrysome
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2012-June-28, 09:06

I see that the bogus "you cannot regulate inactivity" argument won. Not sure that precedent will restrict the commerce clause a lot in future decisions.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-June-28, 09:23

I have to admit that the decision was closer than I thought it would be. Overturning healthcare reform would have hurt our businesses and those of many other folks we know.

If Obama is reelected, we can work for incremental improvements. Now would be a good time for the democrats to educate all of the voters on just what the healthcare reforms do and don't do.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#8 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-28, 09:32

Wonder how long before we see it spun around as the "unconstitutional tax" on you know where...
foobar on BBO

#9 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2012-June-28, 11:37

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-June-28, 08:51, said:

I agree that the restrictions on the Commerce Clause are worrysome

Maybe the new made up limits on spending power will actually have more long-term impact.

#10 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-28, 14:10

Sick, first I'm hearing about this, as someone without health insurance im not too pleased lol.

Time to read up on this ruling I guess

Edit: Well, actually I have health insurance till im 26. Thanks obama!

#11 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-28, 14:13

I woke up this morning and saw this image on facebook
Spoiler

And then spent the next several hours very, very confused about wtf was going on.
OK
bed

#12 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-28, 14:35

View Postjjbrr, on 2012-June-28, 14:13, said:

I woke up this morning and saw this image on facebook
Spoiler

And then spent the next several hours very, very confused about wtf was going on.

Another Dewey Wins! headline. :D
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#13 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-28, 14:52

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-June-28, 14:10, said:

Sick, first I'm hearing about this, as someone without health insurance im not too pleased lol.

Time to read up on this ruling I guess

Edit: Well, actually I have health insurance till im 26. Thanks obama!

Mandate doesn't kick in until 2014 and the penalties smart small and creep higher as its implemented over several years. I'm pretty sure you could pay the first year penalty just out of the loose change you leave all over the living room and kitchen floors over that year.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#14 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2012-June-28, 15:32

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-June-28, 08:23, said:

Luke Warm was right, I was wrong

that shouldn't surprise you, it's not like it's the first time... i'm actually surprised it wasn't 6-3, though after oral arguments it seemed that kennedy wasn't convinced by the solicitor general

View PostPassedOut, on 2012-June-28, 09:23, said:

I have to admit that the decision was closer than I thought it would be. Overturning healthcare reform would have hurt our businesses and those of many other folks we know.

how would it have hurt your business?

as far as the ruling itself goes, this actually might work in the reps favor, politically... i think the dems had a sherman-does-georgia strategy in place and ready to roll (though i don't know what it was)... now the reps can use this, as well as the economy, as campaign issues, though i don't know how successful it will be

This post has been edited by luke warm: 2012-June-28, 15:41

"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#15 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-28, 16:45

View Postluke warm, on 2012-June-28, 15:32, said:

i'm actually surprised it wasn't 6-3, though after oral arguments it seemed that kennedy wasn't convinced by the solicitor general

Yes, I was kind of expecting a 6-3 split also, and thought it just possible Roberts could frame the opinion to get all nine votes, as the court likes to do in momentous cases.

View Postluke warm, on 2012-June-28, 15:32, said:

Our businesses provide health insurance to all employees. Our premiums have had to be high enough to help cover costs of emergency care for the uninsured, who've been free-riders on the system. To keep premiums reasonable, the insured base should be universal. The other important feature of the reform establishes the principle that the government must step in to slow down the increase in health-care costs. The reform, as written, contains a number of provisions designed to get a handle on that, although more will need to be done in that area.

This reform is not as good as a single-payer system, as you've pointed out yourself, but it's all that was politically possible to achieve in 2010.

#16 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-June-29, 05:15

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-June-28, 14:10, said:

You don't want health insurance? Sick indeed. :P
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#17 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2012-June-29, 05:50

From Yahoo News:

The Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of key provisions in the Affordable Care Act, the health care law commonly known as Obamacare, on Thursday, but on Capitol Hill, Republicans are vowing to press on with plans to fully repeal the law.

I know the far right base will not change positions, but I am curious if moderates and independents aren't weary of watching this repeated petulant behavior from the GOP.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#18 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2012-June-29, 08:03

View PostWinstonm, on 2012-June-29, 05:50, said:

I know the far right base will not change positions, but I am curious if moderates and independents aren't weary of watching this repeated petulant behavior from the GOP.

This is a few months old:

Posted Image
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#19 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2012-June-29, 10:36

The Supreme Court upheld President Barack Obama's health care law on Thursday, but Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, a possible Republican vice presidential contender who has refused to establish a federally mandated health care exchange in his state, said Friday that he will continue to ignore it

In related news, Gov. Jindal also vowed to "hold his breath until he turned blue" and said, "Nhay, nyah, nyah! I can't hear you!" while placing his fingers in his ears in response to questions from reporters.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#20 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2012-June-29, 15:25

luke warm said:

View PostPassedOut, on 2012-June-28, 16:45, said:

Our businesses provide health insurance to all employees. Our premiums have had to be high enough to help cover costs of emergency care for the uninsured, who've been free-riders on the system.

at your business you have a plan that covers uninsured people? i've never heard of that... are you speaking of those who choose not to take the insurance? if not, who are you speaking of? most businesses *offer* (not provide) healthcare to their employees... do you pay the entire premium?

This reform is not as good as a single-payer system, as you've pointed out yourself, but it's all that was politically possible to achieve in 2010.

what i've said is, if you *must* have universal healthcare, only a single payer system is workable

View PostWinstonm, on 2012-June-29, 10:36, said:

In related news, Gov. Jindal also vowed to "hold his breath until he turned blue" and said, "Nhay, nyah, nyah! I can't hear you!" while placing his fingers in his ears in response to questions from reporters.

yeah, must be that 170 i.q.
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users