BBO Discussion Forums: UI but LA questionable on extreme distribution - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UI but LA questionable on extreme distribution Ruling needed

#1 User is offline   Xiaolongnu 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cats, playing and directing bridge, MSN, strategy games, fantasy RPGs, shooting games, adventure games, mathematics, google.

Posted 2012-August-12, 00:38

Long hesitation before east's second pass. Table result +1, as double dummy would have.

Is Pass or anything along the line an LA for West?

#2 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-12, 01:03

View PostXiaolongnu, on 2012-August-12, 00:38, said:

Long hesitation before east's second pass. Table result +1, as double dummy would have.

Is Pass or anything along the line an LA for West?

Without knowing West's peer group (i.e. is he any good), and conducting a poll of such peers, we can't say for sure. I think it is obvious that the UI suggests "something other than pass" over passing; it does not suggest 5 over double, though it may suggest 5 over 4.

That said, if EW play split-range UNT (so it's either weak, or a very good hand like this 4-loser monster), W can bid 4 over 3 and E then knows he has excellent support, two cover cards in the majors (one guaranteed trick between them) and ruffing values in W's second suit. 5 is then obvious.

I think 4 is an LA, so I rule the auction back to W balancing with 4: I do not believe E would fail to raise that, though, so overall "no adjustment". Note that it's plausible that, after 4, E makes a slam try - a 4 cue, for example - and EW are then likely to find 6. I would be inclined to point this out to EW, in the hope that the embarrasment of missing a very biddable slam serves as a suitable PP.

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-12, 06:30

East was obviously feeling guilty (or not very good), he has the easiest 6 bid in the world over 5, partner has shown a monster.

I don't feel pass is a LA, but 4 certainly is.

Were EW playing good/bad or continuous range for the 2 suited bid ?

I think E should raise 4 to 5, but I think it's equally obvious to raise 5 to 6, so is pass of 4 in the frame given that he hasn't raised 5 ? I feel he's in some ways already conducted the poll of his exact peer :)

#4 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-August-21, 16:53

View PostCamHenry, on 2012-August-12, 01:03, said:

I think 4 is an LA, so I rule the auction back to W balancing with 4: I do not believe E would fail to raise that, though, so overall "no adjustment".

I think it is important in cases like these to make the point that you are adjusting it to 5 not to rule "no adjustment".

Nice to see an East who does not believe in bidding his hand twice. He feels he has shown his hand to the full by the long hesitation. In my view this pair will bear watching.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users