BBO Discussion Forums: Driving the west coast of the USA (1) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Driving the west coast of the USA (1) A few questions

#1 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2012-October-09, 12:57

I know that there are forum members from all over the USA, so I thought this might be a good place to get some impartial travel advice.

Next April (2013) I'm flying in to LA for a few days to see some friends then hiring an RV and driving up to Seattle, a couple of days there and then train to Vancouver for a couple of days before flying home. For some reason I've always had a yearning to do this but I'm going to be pushed for a time so probably can't do as much as I would have liked.

My timetable means I have to do about 150 miles per day and can afford one day without travelling. We've already been to SF and driven the route between Cambria and Point Reyes, including staying just outside Carmel and seeing Monterey, so the plan this time is to get through that section quickly.

If anyone can offer advice on interesting places to see, good RV parks and general advice before I finalise my plans at the end of the month to get early bird discounts it would be most appreciated. Perhaps I might have the opportunity to repay the kindness in traditional fashion by buying a beer whilst we are there?

I'm already looking at Morro Bay (but that's a long first day slog) and Marina Dunes RV park just north of Monterey.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-October-09, 13:06

The Oregon coast is spectacular. It does add significantly to the total distance, and the coast road (as well as the drive inland to get back to the Interstate) makes for slower speeds, it is, in my opinion, well worth the time.

Driving 150 or 200 miles a day still leaves lots of time.

Cannon Beach is a well-known small resort town on the coast. The rock formations standing out of the water are very impressive, as is the wide, long, flat sandy beach. I hope you get good weather:)
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-09, 13:26

View Postmikeh, on 2012-October-09, 13:06, said:

The Oregon coast is spectacular. It does add significantly to the total distance, and the coast road (as well as the drive inland to get back to the Interstate) makes for slower speeds, it is, in my opinion, well worth the time.

Cannon Beach is a well-known small resort town on the coast. The rock formations standing out of the water are very impressive, as is the wide, long, flat sandy beach. I hope you get good weather:)

Thanks Mike, they both look great. I should have said the plan is to hug the coast as much as possible, hence the time constraints.

Simon

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-October-09, 14:22

If you're a beer aficionado, I recommend checking out North Coast Brewing up at Fort Bragg
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout on draft is pure joy in a glass...
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   Thiros 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Greek fire, Damascus steel, Linear A

Posted 2012-October-09, 15:12

Speaking of Russian Imperial, Fort Ross comes to mind. Slightly north of the San Francisco Bay, right on the coast.

We made a stop there on a family vacation 15 or 20 years ago and for some reason, I have really good memories of that place.

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-09, 16:56

All I can say it's a wonderful trip. Any part of this coast I have been to has been impressive. In fact, I would rather slow down the drive, and scratch a day off Vancouver. But maybe that's just because it's always been November when I was in Vancouver. Yes, I did see the sun once.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-October-09, 17:30

View Postcherdano, on 2012-October-09, 16:56, said:

All I can say it's a wonderful trip. Any part of this coast I have been to has been impressive. In fact, I would rather slow down the drive, and scratch a day off Vancouver. But maybe that's just because it's always been November when I was in Vancouver. Yes, I did see the sun once.

I love Vancouver, and spend my 8 years of university there, but I agree that November isn't a good month in which to visit....indeed, one could argue that it might be the very worst. Our late summer and early fall has been atypical...we are, along with Seattle, in a record-setting dry spell but November usually brings copious rain.

I would add that, if one wanted to see B.C., one could head out to the Olympic Peninsula and catch the Coho Ferry to Victoria, where, as we like to claim, we get 40% less annual rain than does Vancouver. Of course, a lot of what we do get is in November:)

Victoria is far smaller than Vancouver but is viewed by many as the prettier City.

One can also visit Victoria from downtown Seattle quite cheaply via the Clipper, a large hydrofoil ferry that runs twice daily...passenger only. My wife recently took the trip and enjoyed it greatly...a fast, comfortable ride, tho one where one has to sit as if on a bus, rather than walk around as on larger car ferries....it's faster to get to Victoria by Clipper than it is to get to Vancouver by train, from Seattle, or so I have heard.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2012-October-09, 17:55

Actually, I didn't mean to diss Vancouver - I know it is (can be :) ) a lovely city. It's just that I find the west coast so beautiful, I would much rather spend more days there.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#9 User is offline   jwccsllc 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Auto Racing

Posted 2012-October-09, 18:15

View Postmikeh, on 2012-October-09, 13:06, said:

Honeyman part in Florence OR is probably the nicest camp site I've used.

There's a sectional tournament in Seaside OR 19-21 April, and another at Fircrest WA 26-28 April (near Tacoma).

There are plenty of games in the Seattle area every day.

Bill

#10 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-12, 12:30

View Postjwccsllc, on 2012-October-09, 18:15, said:

Honeyman part in Florence OR is probably the nicest camp site I've used.

There's a sectional tournament in Seaside OR 19-21 April, and another at Fircrest WA 26-28 April (near Tacoma).

There are plenty of games in the Seattle area every day.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I'll look that one up.

I don't think I'll get chance for Bridge, the wife doesn't play and won't want to be left alone in the evenings in an RV.

Simon

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-October-12, 16:17

Yachats is a fun town along the Oregon coast too.

Unfortunately there isn't much on the Washington side. My folks had a summer home in Copalis Beach near Ocean Shores, and I thought it was always dreary and the coast had no topography like Oregon does.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#12 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2012-October-12, 18:39

View PostPhil, on 2012-October-12, 16:17, said:

Unfortunately there isn't much on the Washington side.

Olympic national park?

#13 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-October-13, 08:51

View Postcherdano, on 2012-October-12, 18:39, said:

Olympic national park?

Not really along the coast is it?

Of course I'm being pedantic. The rainforest is a must-see.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users