BBO Discussion Forums: Any way to prevent this from happening? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any way to prevent this from happening?

#1 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-17, 01:09

I once was playing a hand where I had a really good hand. I don't remember exactly other than that I had 7 diamonds, 5 hearts, and a singleton A of some other suit, and I think I had 3 total A and some other good stuff, but I don't know the details. I had for so long been hoping to maybe someday get dealt something like the ultimate hand, and though I don't remember it exactly, I think this hand wasn't too far away from being one. In any case, my partner opened 1 and I thought it was best to show a 5-card major first if I had one, so I responded 1 and then he bid 1NT. I didn't think he'd use NMF so I just bid 2 as I figured he'd at least take it as forcing, and then he jumped to 3NT. I don't like it when players bid this kind of thing since it makes me wonder if their hand really might be stronger than the 12-14 I normally consider the 1NT response, so I didn't very well know what he had. In any case, I still knew we should have a diamond fit since he bid NT before I ever showed diamonds, and so I figured he'd have at least 2 of them, and iirc I made some ridiculous-looking diamond bid, and then he booted me from the table and wouldn't even let me play the hand. I was so disappointed since I'd been searching for so long and had so rarely ever gotten hands even this good that I really wanted to play it. I looked it up in the results afterwards and remember whoever showed up did make the contract that I had bid. In any case, does someone have some words of wisdom as to how I can not get booted from the table apparently just for an apparently bad bid?

#2 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-October-17, 01:23

1C 1H
1N 2D
Not playing nmf, this sequence is non forcing.

I would have bid 1D and followed it up with 2 and 3 hearts.
As for not getting booted - pick a better partner.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#3 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-17, 01:42

Huh? Why would it be non-forcing? Responder is still unlimited.
That being said, with a strong hand, you can afford to show suits in their natural order, i.e. longest first.

#4 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-October-17, 02:53

1. If you do not want to get booted: Play with friends. If you do not have enough friends on BBO, make anyone your friend which fits your expectations about the game and the behaviour at the table.

2. You bid the hand really really bad. If you have a strong two suiter, bid the longer suit first. Try to learn basic bidding rules - bbo can help you.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#5 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-October-17, 03:18

I hate these kinds of hands. They introduce swings for no reason. Grr.of course 4333 is also not always fun...
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-October-17, 03:55

View PostAntrax, on 2012-October-17, 01:42, said:

Huh? Why would it be non-forcing?

Well, I would guess they named the NMF convention "New Minor Forcing" because otherwise after a 1NT rebid a new minor wasn't forcing.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-October-17, 04:03

View PostAntrax, on 2012-October-17, 01:42, said:

Huh? Why would it be non-forcing? Responder is still unlimited.
That being said, with a strong hand, you can afford to show suits in their natural order, i.e. longest first.

By the same token as

1m-1S
1N-2H is usually played as non-forcing (despite the fact that responder is unlimited).

Of course, trying to find a 4-card diamond suit in opener's hand is something of a pipe dream and playing 1NT should be OK usually anyway (people hate minor suit fits). Hence New Minor Forcing, 2-way checkback, etc.
      George Carlin

#8 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-October-17, 05:29

View PostAyunuS, on 2012-October-17, 01:09, said:

In any case, does someone have some words of wisdom as to how I can not get booted from the table apparently just for an apparently bad bid?

Sounds like your partner expected better bidding from an Advanced player. Maybe if you lower your self-rating, partners won't set such high expectations and therefore won't be as upset when you bid like this.

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-October-17, 05:45

He has a monthly average of +0.35 IMPs/bd which is definitely Advanced according to bboskill - what more evidence do you need? :blink:

Even opposite an "Expert" it is unusual to boot someone for bad bidding before you have even seen their hand to be able to judge. I did enjoy the part where the OP claims not to like "this sort of bid" (presumably this sort being an "unnecessary" jump) and then proceeds to make one of his own though!
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-17, 06:45

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-October-17, 05:29, said:

Sounds like your partner expected better bidding from an Advanced player. Maybe if you lower your self-rating, partners won't set such high expectations and therefore won't be as upset when you bid like this.

At first it sounded to me like this player booted him before he even saw his hand. Rereading the OP, it isn't really clear. And the immediate boot is very rude either way (rude to the whole table in fact), the hand should be finished. I would say mark this guy as enemy and move on.

Furthermore, after 1 - 1 - 1NT - 2, 3NT is an almost impossible bid, sounds like basic handhogging to me.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-17, 07:02

View PostAyunuS, on 2012-October-17, 01:09, said:

Any way to prevent this from happening?

It seems obvious to open the table yourself to avoid it.

#12 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-October-17, 07:08

View Postbillw55, on 2012-October-17, 06:45, said:

Furthermore, after 1 - 1 - 1NT - 2, 3NT is an almost impossible bid, sounds like basic handhogging to me.

Not if you guess that partner play NMF- which I would assume from every advanced CHO I meet at BBO.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#13 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-17, 07:28

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-October-17, 03:55, said:

Well, I would guess they named the NMF convention "New Minor Forcing" because otherwise after a 1NT rebid a new minor wasn't forcing.
I thought the difference is that with NMF the suit bid isn't natural.
It never ceases to amaze me how basic some of the holes in my bidding knowledge are. I was sure a new suit by an unpassed responder is forcing, even when opener is limited.

#14 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-October-17, 07:29

View Postbillw55, on 2012-October-17, 06:45, said:

Almost impossible, but not quite. 3NT might be chosen by a player who thinks he is responding to NMF but hasn't a clue how to do so.

#15 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-October-17, 07:36

View PostAntrax, on 2012-October-17, 07:28, said:

I was sure a new suit by an unpassed responder is forcing, even when opener is limited.

Depends on the sequence :)

1C-1S
2C-2H

is one bid which most people play as forcing, for instance (natural but sometimes 3 cards). 2D is also played as forcing although many pairs use it artificially (in which case 2H can be natural).
      George Carlin

#16 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2012-October-17, 07:52

Make your own table.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#17 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-17, 08:38

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-October-17, 07:29, said:

Almost impossible, but not quite. 3NT might be chosen by a player who thinks he is responding to NMF but hasn't a clue how to do so.

Uh, what's so impossible about this? If it's assumed that 2nt is a minimum non-forcing, no fit, declining an invitation, 2h is fit, and 2s is spades, what else are you supposed to do with a balanced max without a fit? I guess I don't have a clue.

3nt is perfectly normal IMO without special agreements, it's described as a normal rebid in Root/Pavlicek. Now, certainly, one could decide to use 2s artificial (esp if 1nt denies spades absolutely), or if the NMF bid had been 2c, not 2d, one could use 2d with min, 2nt with max to save space. But these artificial schemes hardly seem practical in a random pickup BBO, how do you know partner will be on the same wavelength, since there isn't really a universally played scheme? 3nt is the most practical bid under these circumstances.

#18 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-October-17, 08:44

My bad. I had vowed to stay out of thread discussions on NMF and its continuations, since the premise on a NT rebid after a 1H response is not ours, and the uses we can make of the convention are not shared by others.

#19 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-17, 12:37

I thought the difference is that with NMF the suit bid isn't natural.

That's my understanding as well. The other way to read it is that the new minor is the ONLY forcing rebid by responder. So better names might have been "New Minor Artificial" or "Only New Minor Forcing". But it's too late, the name we have is what everyone knows these days (just as "Unusual 2NT" is not very unusual).

It never ceases to amaze me how basic some of the holes in my bidding knowledge are. I was sure a new suit by an unpassed responder is forcing, even when opener is limited.

If you are playing NMF, then 1m-1-1NT-2 is non-forcing, since you're would use NMF to show a stronger hand.

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-October-17, 17:47

I was sure a new suit by an unpassed responder is forcing, even when opener is limited.

It's normally the case only when opener's rebid is 1NT. This is why various checkback schemes have been developed.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users