• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking for LAs EBU, multiple teams

#1 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-16, 02:55

What do you bid, and what do you consider?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-16, 03:27

View PostCamHenry, on 2012-November-16, 02:55, said:

What do you bid, and what do you consider?

I will bid whatever shows a major fragment or shortage. If my major-suit bids would be 4-card suits, I am a bit stuck. Probably 4 of whatever suit is KCB for diamonds. I will not bid QJ9 of hearts.

I don't consider anything except changing the bid I use for super-accepting; but that is not relevant here.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-16, 03:32

I bid 4, rkcb for . If the superaccept creates a gameforcing, I would also consider 3.

Karl

#4 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-November-16, 04:03

3 (shortness)
4(control in case 3 M wasnot avaiable as such)
4 (Slam invitational)

All these bids looks like LA.

If something unusual is in the system notes (like 3 forcing) I would accept that too. In fact in that case, 3 looks like the only sensible alternative.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#5 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-November-16, 04:26

I think 4D looks a good call no matter what it shows. If partner passes it, I go to e-bridge-partners.com

If partner bid 3C slowly, I don't really see what it suggests.

#6 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-16, 04:43

Whatever the options available, probably the only one that is not an LA is 3NT. However any combination of actions that doesn't add up to at least a slam try is also not an LA.

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-16, 05:02

Depends on agreements.

I would bid 3, since for me that shows shortness. It would be the only thing I would consider.

If 3M would be natural, I would bid 4, but would consider 4 as an autosplinter (if I play those).

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#8 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-November-16, 05:16

If any of 4C/4D/4H are RKCB for that is an LA
4NT is usually an LA in these auctions whatever it means
Any retransfer that gets partner to play is probably a LA
I suspect that bidding 6D now is a LA
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-November-16, 06:24

You need to tell us the methods of the partnership to answer the question.
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-16, 07:24

3, 4 and 4NT, 4 if the partnership is well stablished only and 3 short is not avaible, in that case 4NT would not be a LA

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2012-November-16, 07:26

oh I forgot, 6 is a LA also, if partnering a pickup intermediate with no agreements I might avoid missunderstandings using it.

#12 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-16, 07:48

This must be a UI question, and evidently there is a whole raft of LAs.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-November-16, 08:28

If 3 would show shortage by agreement, I'd bid 3 and not consider anything else.

If 3 would be natural and 4 would be a cue-bid, I'd bid 4 and not consider anything else.

If all new suits would be natural and 4 would be natural, I'd bid 4 after considering 3 and 4.

If all new suits would be natural and 4 would be Keycard, I'm not one of "the class of players in question".
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-16, 08:47

View Postbillw55, on 2012-November-16, 07:48, said:

This must be a UI question, and evidently there is a whole raft of LAs.

Bill's hit the nail on the head here. The UI was, in fact, worse than a slow bid: opener mumbled, grabbed the alert card, and then said (unprompted) "I think that's probably a transfer to clubs". That UI definitely suggests getting out in 3NT, I think.

Given the fact that "some appropriate slam try" is generally considered the only LA, I am quite happy that my slam try (4NT keycard; we don't have sophisticated methods) was required by ethics. Unfortunately, partner's hand was AKJT/Kxx/xx/Kxx, and with a club and a heart to lose we did not score well. The fact that diamonds were 4-1 offside made the loss easier to bear!

#15 User is offline   Sjoerds 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:TD

Posted 2012-November-16, 11:55

Depends of agreements

I guess 2Nt is transfer for / and now you have a strong hand and don't know how to go on.
I assume 1NT is 15-17

If so, I would bid 4 looking for slam in After 4 (cue) I would aim for 6 or else 5

#16 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2012-November-16, 13:53

View PostCamHenry, on 2012-November-16, 08:47, said:

Bill's hit the nail on the head here. The UI was, in fact, worse than a slow bid: opener mumbled, grabbed the alert card, and then said (unprompted) "I think that's probably a transfer to clubs". That UI definitely suggests getting out in 3NT, I think.

Given the fact that "some appropriate slam try" is generally considered the only LA, I am quite happy that my slam try (4NT keycard; we don't have sophisticated methods) was required by ethics. Unfortunately, partner's hand was AKJT/Kxx/xx/Kxx, and with a club and a heart to lose we did not score well. The fact that diamonds were 4-1 offside made the loss easier to bear!

I would still like to know what your unsophisticated methods were. Whilst you have agreed that there are many logical alternatives without knowing your precise, even if unsophisticated, methods it is impossible to judge which of those logical alternatives may be suggested over another.

In particular after partner has announced a misunderstanding then, in general, i think it would be inappropriate to choose a logical alternative in which you take control if there is another logical alternative in which partner may take control or even be consulted. Unless in taking control you know you are going to get bad information that will lead you to a poor contract. These auctions sometimes go completely off the rails and i think there is a responsibility to not prevent that based on the UI that is available to you.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#17 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-16, 14:35

What was the final contract?

#18 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-November-16, 16:24

View PostCascade, on 2012-November-16, 13:53, said:

I would still like to know what your unsophisticated methods were.

Sounds like Blackwood is the only slam exploration method he has.

#19 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2012-November-16, 22:16

View PostCascade, on 2012-November-16, 13:53, said:

I would still like to know what your unsophisticated methods were. Whilst you have agreed that there are many logical alternatives without knowing your precise, even if unsophisticated, methods it is impossible to judge which of those logical alternatives may be suggested over another.

In particular after partner has announced a misunderstanding then, in general, i think it would be inappropriate to choose a logical alternative in which you take control if there is another logical alternative in which partner may take control or even be consulted. Unless in taking control you know you are going to get bad information that will lead you to a poor contract. These auctions sometimes go completely off the rails and i think there is a responsibility to not prevent that based on the UI that is available to you.

So there is a whole lot of LAs, he picks one that is not suggested by UI but yet you wanna require him to do a complete deep analysis of all LAs and their consequences to determine wich one is the least suggested? maybe you are right on the rules, but this looks insane to me.

#20 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-November-16, 22:43

View PostFluffy, on 2012-November-16, 22:16, said:

So there is a whole lot of LAs, he picks one that is not suggested by UI but yet you wanna require him to do a complete deep analysis of all LAs and their consequences to determine wich one is the least suggested? maybe you are right on the rules, but this looks insane to me.

This is why we have Law 73C for players: just try to be sure you're not taking advantage of UI, don't worry too much about LAs as such.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users