BBO Discussion Forums: Various decisionable questions from EBU easter congress part 2 - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Various decisionable questions from EBU easter congress part 2 ATBs

#21 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-08, 16:50

keylime, on 2013-April-07, 20:17, said:

1)(...) The 4-3 may play well.

By playing well, I suppose you mean we are pretty much guaranteed to take at least 3 tricks?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#22 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-09, 04:17

Jinksy, on 2013-April-08, 11:02, said:

Ok, so by 'strength', we're taking something in the vicinity of 10+? Is that enough to push on with a misfit and two aces?

It would have made more sense to show your values when you had the chance to do so at the one-level, but having not done that I think you should probably do something. The overcaller might have a 10-count if it's KQJ10xx and an ace, but usually he'll have more than that.

And advancer's hand isn't just "two aces". AJ10xx is a potential source of tricks, and J10xx is a stopper.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#23 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-09, 08:18

ArtK78, on 2013-April-08, 13:18, said:

No, the hand is worth 7 tricks opposite nothing and you are vul. It may make 8 tricks opposite nothing (indeed, it may make 9 tricks opposite nothing if the Q is singleton) as long as "nothing" includes at least one spade and three hearts, but only 7 tricks are guaranteed.

I dislike the idea of bidding 4 on this hand also. 1 is fine.

South must take some action on his cards. 1NT on the first round seems reasonable. Now North can shoot out a game which is not a blind guess. It may still be wrong, but at least it isn't a blind guess.

there is someone out there more conservative at trick counting than I am amazing:))
a good 2s bid would be a hand like the one shown w/o the spade T9 with the T9
is is a fine 3s call:))))))))))))))))))))))

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

16 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users