BBO Discussion Forums: Bridge cardplay database. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bridge cardplay database. Nomenclature.

#1 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-June-22, 23:44

Lets just say that you would want to make a database of ending/squeeze positions and you want to avoid redundancy (doublon). Wich rules would you need for your database assuming you cannot use x for small cards.

EX
1- its always south to start.

2- if there is trumps its always spades. If you dont need to ruff prefer NT. For NT contract only use spades if you need all the four suits.

3- suits go from shortest/weakest to strong.

4- Always use the highest for defense and lowest cards for offense that you can afford. Between NS south has lowest spots.

5- only use 3 hands if possible. If you use 4 hands W has odds and Est Even cards.

5a- prefer RHO for squeeze working against both opps, and LHO if position is important.

This is simple squeeze

Positionnal squeeze.

Coumpond squeeze NT if i didnt make a mistake.

Do you have any suggestions ?
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-June-23, 04:05

Some rules that shoot into my mind which probably do the trick:
- Don't use exact cards, but translate them to a common naming convention based on the order of the real cards. For example 32 are translated to 1 (lowest) and 2 (second lowest). If you have a similar position with only 86, they'll also be translated to 1 and 2. When displaying the position, you can translate them using your rule 4.
- Always use the same suits. For example: use the minors when you only have 2 suits, or use -- when you need 3 suits.
- Have a fixed rule to determine which suit is trumps (preferably since we always use that suit).
- Have a fixed order of how you fill your suits (like you did in rule 3). Strength of suits can easily be determined based on my first rule.
- When you have equal suits, use the lowest when the squeeze card is in one of them.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-June-23, 15:11

I published an article specifying a similar standard format for card-play diagrams in the January 2011 edition of Scottish Bridge News.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users