• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

more "ATB" always down, but wrong strain

#21 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-June-27, 05:51

I don't think playing penalty doubles by north is absurd. South made a forcing pass, inviting penalties, knowing that his p doesn't have a heart stopper. This means that North should double for penalties which is defensive in context of his earlier call. Say with xxx of hearts, or with xx of hearts and a couple of quick tricks.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#22 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-June-28, 06:02

manudude03, on 2013-June-25, 08:26, said:

MPs scoring. vulnerability was white/red.
Partner and I had a bit of a disagreement on this one. Over 3H, double by either partner would be penalties. A foul lie of the cards (spades 5-1, king of clubs offside, diamonds 3-1) meant that 4S went 5 off, 5D can be held to -2. ATB (yes, the opponents can make 4H).
12-14 NT.
1C- 16+
2H-intermediate (10-14)
X-9+ without strong stopper in hearts, takeout orientated.
3H over 2H would have shown opening values without a heart stop, 3N would have promised a double stop, everything else would be natural (bids promising at least HTxxx).
Agree with helene_t. IMO, when you both know you have a fit and a combined 25+ HCP, pass should be forcing, so it's sensible to define double as a penalty suggestion, especially as some opponents take liberties after a strong . And no blame for North-South, who seem to have judged as well as they could, in a crowded auction: 3 should show only four; 4 is a reasonable Moysian gamble; and 5 seems a stretch.

#23 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-June-29, 11:34

It simple if north denies having 5S, then 3S is ok and south should bid 4D because he doesnt really handle a H tap nicely. Often it goes H, H and you pitch a slow loser from north and you can deal with 4-2 trumps nicely because of south H doubleton. However AKJTx make you think that you get rid of slow losers anyway.

If north may still have 5S then he should bid 4H showing 4144,31(45), 41(35) and not 3S. Of course X as penalty is normal here.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users