How should bidding go? Playing Weak 2's

#1 User is offline   badderzboy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-January-18, 12:49

Scoring: IMP

Benji Acol (both pairs) RONF over weak 2's

Bidding at our table was 2-DBL-4-P-P-P-DBL-PPP

(1) Is 4 a good bid here - possibly down 3 doubled Vul - Feel free to criticise I bid 4 - we were down 2 as West missed opportunity of leading through

(2) Would u slam try on East's hand?

Thanks

Steve

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2005-January-18, 16:04

I would just bid 2 with the East hand, not Dbl. It's forcing and shows my suit. Then south might bid 4 again and it's West's decision if he'll continue. Imo it's quite poor to play a slam on finesse. East has some values, but West only had distribution, and a lucky QJ. I'd probably end up in 4 or 4*.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2005-January-18, 17:12

Cant' bid 2S as the hand is far too good for that. I would double and bid 4S over the opponents' 4H.
The 4H bid is a little aggressive at this vulnerability with such sterile distribution; I would bid bid 4 if nv. West should bid 5C over the second double in your given auction.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#4 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-January-18, 17:41

i agree, i'd never bid 2s on that hand... double then jump if need be (going again by klinger's recommendation)

as for south's 4h, i think it's a decent bid... he has 7 hcp, he knows the opps have game (at least) somewhere, and they do have 10+ trumps
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#5 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-January-18, 17:47

Dbl with East looks easy enough. When 4 gets bounced back to me, I'm probably just bidding 4. West might will probably pass. If I choose to double a 2nd time (very reasonable) West has a clear 5 call. Hard for either to do much more.

Its not a good slam, as you have to take an early club finesse through the weak 2 bidder.

I honestly can't answer this problem objectively as all four hands are in plain site. I'd prefer it if posters gave us one hand to pose the problem and then follow up later with the full layout.

I really don't know if I'd double a second time or bid 4; I might do either on any given day.
"Phil" on BBO

#6 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2005-January-18, 20:23

I agree with pclayton's post.

I also think that 4H is a good bid
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#7 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-January-18, 22:29

all of the bids in this auction seemed reasonable. Would probably just bid 3H but easy to see how 4H can be a winner. Would reopen 4S on the east hand, but easy to see how X can be a winner. Would pull the X to 5C but pass can be a winner. Auction seems ok though.

#8 User is offline   Cowology 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2005-January-19, 00:08

I don't particularly like the 4H bid. Vuln with a flat hand it's just a bit to aggresive for me. That said, if my P bid 4H I could certainly live with that. It's not unreasonable, I just prefer a more modest 3H.

With Easts hand I definately Dbl 2H and I would most likely bid 4S over 4H. But ask me again tomorrow after I've read everybody elses insightfull comments and I might change my mind :-)

#9 User is offline   joker_gib 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-January-19, 02:55

Free, on Jan 18 2005, 05:04 PM, said:

I would just bid 2 with the East hand, not Dbl. It's forcing and shows my suit.

:) 2 is inconceivable with 22 HCP and by the way is not forcing for me !

I would dbl and probably reopen with 4
Alain

#10 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2005-January-19, 03:53

Free, on Jan 18 2005, 10:04 PM, said:

I would just bid 2 with the East hand, not Dbl. It's forcing and shows my suit.

This time I read the bidding right :) , and, after making sure that it is opps who preempted and NOT our side :D , I can safely say that a 2S overcall is NOT forcing, and pard is allowed to pass with a bad hand :D
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#11 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2005-January-19, 05:27

Chamaco, on Jan 19 2005, 10:53 AM, said:

I would just bid 2 with the East hand, not Dbl.  It's forcing and shows my suit.

This time I read the bidding right :) , and, after making sure that it is opps who preempted and NOT our side :D , I can safely say that a 2S overcall is NOT forcing, and pard is allowed to pass with a bad hand :D

Lol! I usually play it forcing for 1 round, so I can bid it and kill partner if he passes :D
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#12 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2005-January-19, 06:02

So give yourself:

AKxxx
x
Axxx
xxx

and over their weak 2H, a 2S would be forcing for 1 round? THis not only gives them 1 opportunity to double you after an agressive overcall, but 2, the second 1 at a higher level. So an opponent with a 16 count and a misfit can pass the first round since it is forcing, and then crucify you the second time round for an extra undertrick.

Incidently, does anyone think the 2H opening is a bit agressive given that North is vulnerable?

#13 User is offline   joker_gib 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-January-19, 06:06

mr1303, on Jan 19 2005, 07:02 AM, said:

Incidently, does anyone think the 2H opening is a bit agressive given that North is vulnerable?

Yes, close, but the suit is not too bad and can bring 4 tricks, so why not ...
Alain

#14 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2005-January-19, 17:56

Free, on Jan 19 2005, 09:27 PM, said:

Chamaco, on Jan 19 2005, 10:53 AM, said:

I would just bid 2 with the East hand, not Dbl.  It's forcing and shows my suit.

This time I read the bidding right :P , and, after making sure that it is opps who preempted and NOT our side :lol: , I can safely say that a 2S overcall is NOT forcing, and pard is allowed to pass with a bad hand :)

Lol! I usually play it forcing for 1 round, so I can bid it and kill partner if he passes ;)

Wow. I made no comment as i was sure you had misread the problem. I suspect you are the only person in the world who plays this as forcing. Why play an overcall doubled at the 2 level when you can play an overcall doubled at the three level? :)
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users