BBO Discussion Forums: More decisions after partner balanced - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

More decisions after partner balanced

#1 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-August-30, 11:32

RHO is known to have high-variance preempts 3rd seat.
Chris Gibson

#2 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-30, 11:40

What is your opening style? Can partner have a balanced 11 count on the bidding?
foobar on BBO

#3 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-August-30, 11:43

View Postakhare, on 2013-August-30, 11:40, said:

What is your opening style? Can partner have a balanced 11 count on the bidding?

Our opening NT is 11+-14, beyond that we open fairly normally for a 2/1 partnership - maybe a touch lighter than a standard pair.
Chris Gibson

#4 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2013-August-30, 12:30

Pass. Depends a little on partner's knowledge of my Passing tendencies. Does he think I Pass on the edge? If so I feel better.

#5 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-30, 12:34

View PostCSGibson, on 2013-August-30, 11:43, said:

Our opening NT is 11+-14, beyond that we open fairly normally for a 2/1 partnership - maybe a touch lighter than a standard pair.

Since partner felt compelled to reopen at this vulnerability, I am going to assume at least (54) in the majors, maybe even 5=5.

There might be more historical context to it given the interference about RHO's tendencies, but at IMPs, I would try 3 and hope to hit the long suit. At MPs, Pass might work (but it would be calculated gamble in the absence of quick tricks). [Edit] In the balance, I would try 3 at both forms of the game, but can see some appeal in a +200 if we need a good board.
foobar on BBO

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-August-30, 12:51

View PostCSGibson, on 2013-August-30, 11:32, said:

IMO 4 = 10, Pass = 9, 3 = 8, 3N = 7. Partner usually has 9-11 HCP with a shortage in . If you guess partner's 4-card major, you're still at risk from diamond forces.

#7 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-30, 15:39

View PostCSGibson, on 2013-August-30, 11:32, said:

This sentence is two words too long.

#8 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-30, 15:47

View Postjeffford76, on 2013-August-30, 15:39, said:

This sentence is two words too long.

I don't think *any* regular partners of this person (me) would agree if you shortened it. We don't even play Ogust as our 1st/2nd preempts are so narrow. Funny though. Should truthfully read, "...high variance preempts opposite a partner who didn't open when given the chance". In other words, "bridge", even though we alert them in our regular partnerships.
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#9 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-August-31, 13:02

At MPs I pass and lead the club king, and hope to beat this in top tricks.

At IMPS I .... will get back to you on that one.

#10 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2013-August-31, 20:17

:P You really need to post a complete bridge hand. Little details like vulnerability and the form of scoring can be important. On this one it really does not matter. Applying the Law of Total Tricks (LOTT) is probably enough. You figure to have one (possibly two) eight card fits. The opponents figure to have one nine card fit. Your Qxx counts as one negative adjustment. Bottom line is 16 or 17 total tricks nearly all of the time. On hands with so few tricks, you should generally pass the double unless you have a clear cut place to play. In this case, you have an almost certain trump trick and an easy opening lead. Sure, you will eat one once in a while, but the percentages favor a pass. Any other call is really bad.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-August-31, 20:48

View Postjdeegan, on 2013-August-31, 20:17, said:

:P You really need to post a complete bridge hand. Little details like vulnerability and the form of scoring can be important.

To be fair, he did post the vulnerability. It's in the colors of the compass directions in the diagram: all red.

#12 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2013-August-31, 21:35

View Postbarmar, on 2013-August-31, 20:48, said:

To be fair, he did post the vulnerability. It's in the colors of the compass directions in the diagram: all red.

:P I still don't see it. I guess my browser isn't picking it up. Anyway, I meant no offense. It is just a good habit, imo.

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-01, 12:08

@Chris; Pd has 4414 or 4315 or 4405 kinda hands, and he may even have 5-5 majors that could not open, so it is very hard to apply the LOTT since we dunno how many trumps we have or whether we will find the right trump if we decide to bid. We know though, they are likely to have 9 or 10 trumps.

For example to me QTxx JTxx void Axxxx or Qxxx Qxxx x Axxx or Axxx QJxxx x Jxx or Axxxx JTxx x Axx or QTxxx AJxxxx x Jx are all in the picture for N. I mean i am constructing hands for pd, even with 2 aces , they are still way too close to making and risk/profit ratio does not seem to justify passing at IMPS imo, even if we totally ignore that their number of trumps says they are at the correct level. We will very rarely get 500 out of this even if we defeat them. And 3rd seat 3 opener may have surprises for us, as you mentioned. He will know how to play diamonds as well if there is a tackle that can be done.

At IMPS first i wanted to lift the double. but i am still not sure.

By bidding;(probably 3
  • We may make it
  • We may go down less than doubled p/s making by them.
  • They may compete further.
  • It is very unlikely that we will be doubled at 3 level, even when our trumps split 4-0 / 5-0 / 5-1/ 4-1 because our side has majority of the hcps it seems. We may even make it doubled with those splits, if pd has the right spot cards in our suits.

Having said all of this, it is still tuff decision. Because even if decision of bidding is correct, now we have to make an other decision. What shall we bid ? Bidding 3 NT is a rookie error imo and is out of question. Which leaves us between 3 and 4 or an imaginative 3 . If pd has 5-5 majors, or 4513 - 4414 3 will be ok. But what if pd has 5404 5413 4405 or disaster 4315 / 5314 ? Except than 4315 and 4314 3 will be ok even if it is not our best spot imo.

Bottom line is, passing the double requires much less work for South. We either made bad decision and they are making, or we are defeating them since defense will usually go smoothly on this particular hand with a text book lead. But it is very risky.
Bidding otoh, is safer but needs a lot of decisions and it may even turn out to be not safe at all in some hands.

I think i would have talked myself into bidding 3 at the end. But very close and i would not argue with people who had chosen other path, even though they seem to ignore 4405 4306 3406 5503 5512 5521 hands.
If it is MP i would have already passed, since i would not have the time to think all this ***** i came up with and i am usually in need of big boards at MPs Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-September-02, 17:09

View Postjdeegan, on 2013-August-31, 21:35, said:

:P I still don't see it. I guess my browser isn't picking it up. Anyway, I meant no offense. It is just a good habit, imo.

You don't see the red backgrounds here?
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2013-September-03, 06:52

View Postbarmar, on 2013-September-02, 17:09, said:

You don't see the red backgrounds here?
Posted Image

:P Yes, but for some reason, not in the original post.

#16 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-07, 18:01

I high variance 3rd seat preempts.
I make videos about bridge. Check it out!

Right Syde Clyde

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users