• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Conventional Wisdom

#1 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-September-07, 03:50

(Ignoring Siegmund's thought-provoking study for a moment)

Assume matchpoints.

What's the CW these days on responding to 1N with a hand less than a invite and 4-4 in the majors? Assume garbage Stayman is in use so you have options over a 2D response.

I was always taught to scramble out of 1N with a bust (0-4 HCP). With the 5-7, it's optional and might depends your overall shape or honor dispersion. But with the propensity of opening 1N with a 5cM, it seems you have a big miss with a possible 5-4 lurking.

Does vulnerability enter into it? Your opponents vulnerability? Any other considerations?

Thanks.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2013-September-07, 07:34

Intriguing question, Phil. Not seen a sim on this point.

FWIW I usually let partner play 1N if I have two or more cards that are possible entries. Being able to lead twice toward the big hand is often enough to get a plus score, or a small minus. With any singleton/void I look for a trump fit. I am less likely to scramble NV. With soft values only in the minors I am likely to flip a coin.

Not sure if there is a "major suit lead bias" in a 1N contract. Not sure there's a difference between 1st/2nd seat opener and 3rd/4th seat opener. Opponent's are more prone to intervene these days so there is a small inference that there are 4 balanced hands at the table.

Doesn't Larry Cohen's data (1 million hands) suggest 1N is a very advantageous contract for the declaring side? Would be great to look at how many of these hands were suitable for garbage stayman...
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#3 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-15, 12:02

View PostPhil, on 2013-September-07, 03:50, said:

Assume garbage Stayman is in use so you have options over a 2D response.

And what options do you have that enable you to play in 1NT when he has no major?

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-September-15, 16:15

View PostfromageGB, on 2013-September-15, 12:02, said:

And what options do you have that enable you to play in 1NT when he has no major?

The British humour gets so tiring around here.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-September-15, 20:34

Justin ventured a very strong opinion recently: to always Stayman with shortness in clubs, whether Zero or 7 points.

It wasn't clear what he thought about the cases with 2 or 3 clubs, or whether he even has a crawling Stayman option.

We don't have it, so are limited to the only-when-short-in-clubs thing, anyway.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-September-16, 02:58

View PostPhil, on 2013-September-07, 03:50, said:

(Ignoring Siegmund's thought-provoking study for a moment)

Assume matchpoints.

What's the CW these days on responding to 1N with a hand less than a invite and 4-4 in the majors? Assume garbage Stayman is in use so you have options over a 2D response.

I was always taught to scramble out of 1N with a bust (0-4 HCP). With the 5-7, it's optional and might depends your overall shape or honor dispersion. But with the propensity of opening 1N with a 5cM, it seems you have a big miss with a possible 5-4 lurking.

Does vulnerability enter into it? Your opponents vulnerability? Any other considerations?

Thanks.

And does it matter if you're playing weak or strong NT ?

We will often scramble out, but you're on a gamble playing weak no trump, are the opps points 13-13 or so where 1N buys the contract, or was there about to be a loud X from the 4th seat in a situation where he doesn't have a suitable hand to X over Stayman or the response. When you scramble, you need the arrangement that over 1N-2-2-2 you always bid 2 with 3-2 in the majors.

#7 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-16, 04:04

Leave the humour aside for a moment. I was implying that if you have enough strength for 1NT to have a play, say 4/5-7, then it seems a little foolish to try for a major fit that is not there. The CW remains as you were taught. Yes, you have a big miss on a hidden 5-4, and a MP miss on a 5-3, but that is your trade off for better continuations after a major open. Take your medicine.

I don't think vulnerability or NT strength has much of a bearing.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users