• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brighton 13 (EBU) A messy curtailment of play

#21 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-02, 17:25

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-October-02, 11:30, said:

Fair enough, but I don't like it. It feels like NS are gaining from illegal communication.

I agree with this on general principle and strongly but feel that the E/W actions (particularly East) suckered N/S into the situation and the auction or discards by North would/should point to a heart return as the only logical alternative.

BTW way I find the Brighton posts very entertaining but do note that they are Director calls as opposed to committee rulings as in an NABC casebook. The number and quality is still entertaining and I will never again question whether the Directors are overpaid.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#22 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-03, 00:17

View Postggwhiz, on 2013-October-02, 17:25, said:

BTW way I find the Brighton posts very entertaining but do note that they are Director calls as opposed to committee rulings as in an NABC casebook.

We do have EBU Appeals Booklets that can be downloaded, but there won't be many from Brighton when the 2013 set comes to be published, because there were only three appeals from the ten days of the congress.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#23 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-03, 02:46

View Postgordontd, on 2013-October-03, 00:17, said:

We do have EBU Appeals Booklets that can be downloaded, but there won't be many from Brighton when the 2013 set comes to be published, because there were only three appeals from the ten days of the congress.

Maybe the EBL and WBF have something to learn from the EBU? If you want to avoid appeals, get the rulings right in the first place.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#24 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-03, 08:45

View Postgnasher, on 2013-October-03, 02:46, said:

Maybe the EBL and WBF have something to learn from the EBU? If you want to avoid appeals, get the rulings right in the first place.

My guess would be that there are fewer ethics-related TD calls in the first place in EBU events compared to EBL/WBF. At least my experience from both club and tournament bridge is that English (British?) players call the TD less often than in other countries I have played in.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#25 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-03, 10:15

View Posthelene_t, on 2013-October-03, 08:45, said:

My guess would be that there are fewer ethics-related TD calls in the first place in EBU events compared to EBL/WBF. At least my experience from both club and tournament bridge is that English (British?) players call the TD less often than in other countries I have played in.

My limited experience of Scotland, and what I've been told about Ireland & Wales, would lead me to believe that there are far more TD calls in England than in the rest of the British Isles.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#26 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-04, 12:33

View Postgordontd, on 2013-October-03, 10:15, said:

My limited experience of Scotland, and what I've been told about Ireland & Wales, would lead me to believe that there are far more TD calls in England than in the rest of the British Isles.

That is hardly surprising as the population of England in the 2011 census was 53,012,456 and the population of the rest of the British Isles around 14,758,000 (I could not quickly find the census for Eire). I don't have the percentage of active bridge players in each area, nor am I aware of the average number of TD calls per player in each, but the difference in population might explain the phenomenon you observed.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#27 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-04, 14:46

According to wikipedia, "The population of [the Republic of] Ireland stood at 4,588,252 in 2011".
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#28 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-04, 14:55

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-October-04, 14:46, said:

According to wikipedia, "The population of [the Republic of] Ireland stood at 4,588,252 in 2011".

Then I overestimated the population of the rest of the British Isles which should have been 14,757,571.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users