• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UI or not UI

#81 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-November-01, 18:18

Trinidad, on 2013-November-01, 18:09, said:

I have said that the spade lead was not suggested over a heart lead. I assume that the two of us agree on that and that neither of us would adjust.

No, I do not agree and I would adjust. Partner need not have a minor, as gnasher states. The one thing that he does not have is hearts, and leading those is an LA. Leading anything else is demonstrably suggested by the UI. And I have nothing more to add.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#82 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-November-01, 18:23

Fluffy, on 2013-November-01, 17:39, said:

I am talking in case you are adjusting. 9 tricks makes no sense, its either 10 or 7

If a low heart is led, it would be 10 tricks, but I think that the top heart is normal, and declarer will not risk the club finesse at IMPs. I do not mind a weighted score, but, post-Reveley, any part of a spade lead is not allowed if you adjust. I have no idea if Holland allows Reveley rulings!

#83 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-02, 01:44

lamford, on 2013-November-01, 18:18, said:

No, I do not agree and I would adjust. Partner need not have a minor, as gnasher states. The one thing that he does not have is hearts, and leading those is an LA. Leading anything else is demonstrably suggested by the UI. And I have nothing more to add.

Partner can have hearts, it's just less likely than other options. Wouldn't you think with say AJ10xxx and a minor 4 or 5 card suit to an honour at this vul ?

#84 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-02, 02:01

lamford, on 2013-November-01, 15:54, said:

Why do you think we all agree? I think a top heart is much more likely to be better than a spade if partner has a minor.

So, in your opinion, the UI suggests a heart lead over a spade in the vast majority of cases.

lamford, on 2013-November-01, 18:18, said:

No, I do not agree and I would adjust. Partner need not have a minor, as gnasher states. The one thing that he does not have is hearts, and leading those is an LA. Leading anything else is demonstrably suggested by the UI.

And in a tiny minority of cases, the UI suggests a spade lead over a heart.

And then you base your decision on what is going on in the tiny minority of the cases?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#85 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-November-02, 04:09

Cyberyeti, on 2013-November-02, 01:44, said:

Partner can have hearts, it's just less likely than other options.

Therefore a non-heart lead is demonstrably suggested.

#86 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-02, 06:02

lamford, on 2013-November-02, 04:09, said:

Therefore a non-heart lead is demonstrably suggested.

But if South has a long minor (obviously most likely) then -at least according to you- a heart lead is demonstrably suggested over a spade.

So you just ignore the most likely possibility?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#87 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-November-02, 06:19

Trinidad, on 2013-November-02, 06:02, said:

But if South has a long minor (obviously most likely) then -at least according to you- a heart lead is demonstrably suggested over a spade.

So you just ignore the most likely possibility?

Rik

It may be obvious to you, but not to others. As gnasher states, the lack of Stayman suggests that partner has spades. Your minor-suit length suggest that partner has a minor. A heart lead is unlikely to be successful if partner has a minor, although a spade lead is less likely still. I would guess that the chance of beating the contract with a heart lead is maybe 5% and with a spade lead maybe 40%, using the UI. Without the UI I would expect the heart lead to be maybe 25%, the spade lead maybe 10% and others very poor indeed, less than 5%. So, all leads other than a heart are infractions, as they are breaches of both 16b and 73C. If North was an experienced player, I would consider a PP for a spade lead. And I don't want to answer any further questions on this, as I stated before, and I will not post again on this thread.

#88 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-02, 07:51

I am afraid that I can't follow you.
Your:

lamford, on 2013-November-02, 06:19, said:

Your minor-suit length suggest that partner has a minor. A heart lead is unlikely to be successful if partner has a minor, although a spade lead is less likely still.

is immediately followed by:

I would guess that the chance of beating the contract with a heart lead is maybe 5% and with a spade lead maybe 40%, using the UI.

saying the exact opposite.

1. A heart lead has a better chance of succes than a spade lead given the UI that suggests partner has a minor.
2. A spade lead has a better chance of succes than a heart lead given the UI.

If North was an experienced player, I would consider a PP for a spade lead.

Then I'm glad you weren't the TD.

and I will not post again on this thread.

That's fine with me.

Have a nice weekend!

Rik

#89 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-04, 04:19

So what?, heart honor is normal, low heart is normal, which one is the offending side leading?, obviously not the succesful one.

I am talking in case you are adjusting. 9 tricks makes no sense, its either 10 or 7

EDIT: Actually once 9 tricks are assured, declarer might take a club finese for 11, so perhaps 11 is the answer.

lamford, on 2013-November-01, 18:23, said:

If a low heart is led, it would be 10 tricks, but I think that the top heart is normal, and declarer will not risk the club finesse at IMPs. I do not mind a weighted score, but, post-Reveley, any part of a spade lead is not allowed if you adjust. I have no idea if Holland allows Reveley rulings!

Lol, so I make a post explaining you why you should never award 9, yet you quote the part of my text with the conclusion avoiding the explanation to tell me once again your same wrong conclussion you told me before, arguing with you is very hard, you must be a very tough tournament director.

#90 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-22, 05:57

lamford, on 2013-October-24, 09:15, said:

unless they are communicating via a medium, which is a breach of 73B2.

I was going to ask why bridge laws are dealing with communication to the spirit world but after...

blackshoe, on 2013-October-24, 17:12, said:

I'm not ruling on this without more information. Including, perhaps, how long EW have been telepaths, since they apparently can read North's mind.

...it all became clear. :blink:
(-: Zel :-)

#91 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-November-22, 07:36

gnasher, on 2013-November-01, 07:27, said:

The UI tells us, for example, that partner is more likely to have a five-card suit containing three honours. If that's what he has, it's not in hearts but it might be in spades. Therefore this possibility suggests a spade lead over a heart lead. The UI also tells us that partner is more likely to have a five-card suit containing two honours. If that's what he has, it's more likely to be in spades than in hearts. Again, this possibility suggests a spade lead over a heart lead.
Q.E.D. :)

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users