BBO Discussion Forums: Agreeing the minor after 1N transfer - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Agreeing the minor after 1N transfer

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-November-02, 03:44

LOL
Just played in an 8 board MP robot tourney in which I decided at the outset to bid 1N where available at the first opportunity on every hand, and then try to recover as best as possible.
Somewhat surreally I actually got to open 1N on the first 7 hands. On hand 8 spoilsport West pre-empted in first seat.

Managed to scrape by with just shy of 60% (largely thanks to the first two hands, GIB is such a sap sometimes). But then it was not a large field.

http://www.bridgebas...rname=1eyedjack

Anyhoo, the interesting hand was hand 6:

East resisted the temptation to double. He has seen me open 1N on a void before now.

As for the bidding, I learned my lesson from a previous thread here, that I had to bid 3H to show a Diamond fit and deny a Spade fit.

http://www.bridgebas...post__p__754605

At this point we were on course to find a reasonable 5 (I was never stopping in 3N, although perhaps I should have done, not least due to the scoring)

But then it all started to unravel, starting with 3 by North. Not that the bid had a huge influence on anything, but he certainly does NOT have "twice rebiddable Spades".

Once again my problem was how to RCKB in Diamonds - the only suit bid and supported. 4N would have been RKCB in Spades, and I did not want to hear about the K or Q.

4 would have been a cue bid. Agreeing what as trumps, it didnt say.

In real life I think that with the North cards I would have rebid 3N over 2.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2013-November-02, 16:16

Since v28, you could now bid blackwood over spades and bid 6D which GIB will pass.

Unfortunately ( currently ) you cannot stop on 5D as it's little unclear what's the goal.

1N - 2
2 - 3
4N (over ) - 5 ( or bidding 5 is easy as you can just pass it)
5 now would be contract as 4NT was over diamonds
6 as of course a stop as it's blackwood suit

1N - 2
2 - 3
3 - 3
4N ( over ) - 5
5 is not rather a stop
6 is stop

6/7 is possible stop since v28 over any reply after 4N.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-November-02, 21:56

I still think that
1N - 2H
2S - 3D
3H - ??
4N
should be blackwood for Diamonds, not Spades, if it is blackwood at all, given that the 3H bid both expressly confirms a D fit and expressly denies a S fit.

There might yet be a Spade fit if responder has 6 of them. And in the OP of this thread he SHOWED 6 of them by bidding 3S over 3H. But he only had QJTxx even then.

In the earlier thread you justified this treatment on the grounds that 3D might be a manufactured suit. I think that this is a weak reason but I await comments from others.

There is a case that 4N should not be blackwood at all. Having limited his values with 1N and shown his shape as balanced and confirmed or denied any potential trump fits it should be up to responder to commit beyond game. But then perhaps responder should not be bidding 3D with no slam interest. As I mentioned earlier, with these North cards i think North should not show Diamonds at all. Just transfer to Spades then 3N. He has no interest in anything other than 3N or 4S.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users