• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Exposing all cards

#1 User is offline   swanway 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-November-29, 02:58

EBU

I have just posted one problem above and I am waiting for your comments. Unfortunately the following incident happened within a short time of the revoke problem. It was a bad night!

Players had just finished playing a board and were still discussing the outcome when they took out the cards from the next board. South exposed all her cards assuming for some reason that she was dummy. The auction had not even started and all her cards were exposed. There were two ruling discussed. One was that the hand could not be played and an artificial score of 40/60 should be awarded. The other option was more complicated. The hand would be left exposed. The information would be unauthorised to North. North would also be prevented from bidding for ONE round. If NS became declarer then there would be no problem. However, if NS became defenders then all the cards would become major penalty cards. How these penalty cards would be played were discussed but not totally clarified. What should we have done? The player concerned has been recaptured!

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-November-29, 03:53

The second option (Law 24). The partner of the "recaptured" player should be advised of their UI responsibilities and this might lead to a further ruling if they do not take the appropriate care in choosing their actions. 50D describes how to treat the exposed cards should the player become a defender.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-November-29, 05:35

Or to put it more succinctly, RTFLB.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-29, 05:52

From a Danish newspaper competition decades ago:

In Texas-rangers Bridge Club the following deal appeared:

East-West quickly reached the contract 7 in West, North Pass, East Pass and East-West exchanged their cards.

South remarked that he had not called, he bids 7NT which of course is doubled and West leads A. South Objects. Because East and West have shown their cards to each other all their 26 Cards are penalty Cards and must be left exposed on the table.

South demands the lead of 7

South may call each play among penalty cards and wins his grand slam.

A little teaser?
(I shall provide the answer if nobody does within a reasonable time)

#5 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-29, 06:12

View Postpran, on 2013-November-29, 05:52, said:

South may call each play among penalty cards and wins his grand slam.

Declarer takes 3 spades in dummy discarding E's hearts and unblocking S's diamond. N then cashes 2 diamonds discarding W's hearts. Then cashes S's 3 hearts discarding defender's clubs and S clubs are now high.

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-November-29, 06:58

This seems nearly identical to a hand from Right Through the Pack.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-November-29, 07:22

View PostVampyr, on 2013-November-29, 06:58, said:

This seems nearly identical to a hand from Right Through the Pack.

This was from a problem competition at my club's 50 years anniversary back in 1980 and was fetched from a problem competition in "Berlingste Tidende" won by a friend of mine several years earlier. (I didn't know that until much later)

Although the theme is the same as in Darvas' "Tale of the 2" the cards are not the same and the plot is different.

But the reason why my friend originally had won the contest (and incidentally why I won the Club problem contest in 1980) was that we both found the two solutions on how to win 13 tricks!

So keep going.

#8 User is offline   chrism 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-November-29, 07:26

View PostVampyr, on 2013-November-29, 05:35, said:

Or to put it more succinctly, RTFLB.

The charter of the "Simple Rulings" group is to help with Out-of-the-book rulings. As was noted in another thread, not everyone is comfortable navigating the Laws, and such people should feel welcome coming here for assistance.

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-November-29, 07:28

You can also establish North's hearts and have the defenders keep their clubs using the same process.
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-November-29, 08:08

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-November-29, 07:28, said:

You can also establish North's hearts and have the defenders keep their clubs using the same process.

:rolleyes: :) :D

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users