Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Misfit

#1 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-November-19, 09:10

This sequence is supposed to be an easy one. Maybe it is, but it seemed like so many things could be right.

Pick your form of scoring/colors if you want. When it was presented to me, we were w/r at teams, but I'm interested if your answer changes if the colors change or if this is MPs.
2N = reds, obviously.

"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-19, 09:54

I'll try 3, partner could still have two, and even with only one this may well be better than a red suit. If he is 0-6 in the majors, I will apologize, but that won't be often.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-November-19, 10:07

I think I will simply pass. This is unlikely to be doubled by opener and may well be as good of spot as we might have.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-19, 10:07

Horrid spot. I might venture a pass here (worth it for p's face alone upon seeing the dummy). Plus, passing leaves us a lot of wriggle room if opps start doubling.

3 is a huge mistake imo - not only do you have nowhere to run to if opps start doubling but you could be sailing past three better contracts on a guess. Your best contract is probably 3 but obv you can't bid that to play.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-19, 10:13

Over 2NT, 3 should ask for partner's better red suit (or to bid something else with the strong type). That gives us 2 ways of bidding 3, one direct and one via 3. One of these should be constructive and the other weak. By default I would think that the weak route was via 3 but I cannot remember ever reading of any standard on this. Assuming that is the case, it seems like a reasonable idea to stop in 3 if partner prefers them to diamonds. Passing could also be right but you would feel pretty silly if partner turns up with a monster.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-19, 10:15

View Postbroze, on 2013-November-19, 10:07, said:

Your best contract could well be 3 but obv you can't bid that to play.

If the 2NT overcall is not wide ranging, but rather normal attention to vulnerability, we could decide (and have decided) we don't need 3 as a range-ask or clarification ask. 3 to play is possible in that case. I don't know if it would be the best choice with this hand at all the different colors, however. At favorable, a simple preference to 3H might be most effective with a Partner who won't make silly sacrificial continuations.

With a split-range monster, Pard could continue over 3C; but I don't think she has one in this case.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-20, 05:13

I think pass is worse than it looks regardless of your range for 2NT. You do not really need specific A or Kings in rounded suits. You don't need pd to hold a giant in order to make pass of 2 NT look ridiculous The spot cards in black suits we hold, are so good that they make life easy in worst case scenario.

I mean a very little help in black suits makes our hand huge for 4, such as.

xx KJxxx KJxxx Q

Ax QTxxx KJxxx x

x Axxxx KJxxx Qx

I think our hand owes at least 1 move to make and suggest spades. Pass is very pessimistic especially at IMPs and vulnerable to put it the polite way.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-November-20, 13:24

pass assuming 2nt is weak, with d and h.

#9 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-November-25, 22:05

I can virtually make 2 all by myself. "We're not doubled yet" isn't the right thinking at matchpoints. Besides, you have a lot of cards, it's not clear that anyone is intending to double anything.
I make videos about bridge. Check it out!

Right Syde Clyde

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-November-26, 00:40

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-November-19, 10:13, said:

Over 2NT, 3 should ask for partner's better red suit (or to bid something else with the strong type). That gives us 2 ways of bidding 3, one direct and one via 3. One of these should be constructive and the other weak. By default I would think that the weak route was via 3 but I cannot remember ever reading of any standard on this. Assuming that is the case, it seems like a reasonable idea to stop in 3 if partner prefers them to diamonds. Passing could also be right but you would feel pretty silly if partner turns up with a monster.

If the weak really shows a missfit, then direct 3 before partner can jumps around.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users