Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What squeeze is this?

#1 User is offline   ewj 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-November-28, 06:51

So East is on lead in 3NT on the given hand (FWIW, the contract is 3NT and East is cashing the 4th defensive trick but...). He/she cashes the 9, and their partner has to discard a winner. If they keep it, they have to unguard / and then declarer can get out for -1...By discarding the Q, East can play a for -2.
What squeeze is this? Thought it was quite a nice ending.

#2 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-November-28, 07:10

It's not a real squeeze, since as you have identified, West has a discard available that doesn't cost a trick. So I guess it is a pseudo-squeeze. And squeezes that are inflicted on one defender by his partner's winners are known as suicide squeezes. So I think you can take you pick between "pseudo suicide squeeze" and "suicide pseudo-squeeze".

This sort of "squeeze" is actual quite common at trick 12 in a simplified form in my experience, where one defender has winners in two suits which can take the last two tricks, but his partner is on lead and cashes a winner in a third suit. Now the first defender has to try to keep the winner in the suit that his partner will have to lead at T13. If you can see partner will have this problem it is more considerate to lead one of his suits at T12 and not worry about cashing your own winner!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users