BBO Discussion Forums: Your turn - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your turn

#41 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-December-19, 00:44

Is it because every bid in this auction was obviously misbid ?

Not all of them but most of them.

1- Pass instead of 2S/3D/X not competing with a stiff in opps suit is just wrong.

2- ...2S instead of double. Wrong on suit quality wrong on the values.

3- The final pass ... yuck..

Three major mistakes in one hand its not something you should see at expert level.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#42 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 02:10

View Postbenlessard, on 2013-December-19, 00:44, said:

Not all of them but most of them.

1- Pass instead of 2S/3D/X not competing with a stiff in opps suit is just wrong.

2- ...2S instead of double. Wrong on suit quality wrong on the values.

3- The final pass ... yuck..

Three major mistakes in one hand its not something you should see at expert level.

LOL
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#43 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 06:08

View PostVampyr, on 2013-December-18, 20:05, said:

It has been said many times that the expert forum is for expert topics, not to get the opinions of experts, who post their thoughts in the other forums as well.

What counts as an expert topic?
One of the most difficult areas in bidding is choosing a trump suit when you do not know whether slam might be on in a minor, but if there is only game your best chance is in a major.
The South hand is an exercise in hand evaluation
I agree with MrAce that the South hand is worth an opening bid and has been only improved by the bidding.
Therefor after

South must DBL, because alternatives (except 3) are not even forcing and at this point, vulnerable at IMPs, I would want to force to game. Again a matter of judgement. The South hand is worth much more than its point count suggests.
North can have at most a doubleton in either major and must have at least five diamonds. If North is short in spades, 5 or 3NT (less likely) should have play and otherwise I would not want to stop below 4.
Agreements matter a lot.
Assume South doubles and North bids 2 would now 3 by South be forcing?
One way of bidding the hand with no special agreements might be

4 is an obvious splinter. North, having bid conservatively so far, should not want to stop below slam thereafter with the actual hand.

Rainer Herrmann

#44 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 09:23

View PostMrAce, on 2013-December-18, 16:08, said:

1 = 1+ diamond 11/15

2 = either 6+ spade NF or 5+ spade inv +

I don't see any other alert in the bidding. your guess is as good as mine for the rest of the auction.

EW hands are

That's a lot of science that I don't have but after that number of cue bids I would have thought that 4nt was not blackwood just looking for the club control and south could jump to 6 over it. Either a reasonable gamble by north or they agree to only show kc with that control.

Without that science after 2 (pass by north) we might be able to get there with

dbl - 3
3 - 3
4 - 4
5 - 6

With south willing to risk parking it in 5 instead of 4 when the slam is not on.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#45 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 13:34

Yes dbl would be 3 card spades, even though 1♠ showed 5+

North didnt double with KT and a stiff H. LOL
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#46 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 13:37

Also tell us what

1D-(1H)-2S would have showned so that I can laugh one more time.

#47 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 14:35

View Postbenlessard, on 2013-December-19, 13:34, said:

oops. I added in the pass by north
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#48 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 14:36

View Postbenlessard, on 2013-December-19, 13:37, said:

Also tell us what

1D-(1H)-2S would have showned so that I can laugh one more time.

I already told it Posted Image Re read.

View Postbenlessard, on 2013-December-19, 13:34, said:

Yes, KT doubleton trump and ruffing values combined works great indeedPosted Image Especially when opponents raised hearts simply and pd is likely to hold 4 hearts next to his 5 card spades. Benito Garozzo knows this. But you do not think any of these, you see KT spades and a stiff and that auto upgrades your hand to 3 card support in your opinion. Which is fine. But then you think passing is so huge error that it should not even be posted in expert forum. And you laugh at his choice. I have 3 news for you. One of them is bad, 2nd one is worse, and 3rd one is the worst. Bad news is you are in wrong forum. Worse one is you are not even aware of it. Worst one is, it is highly unlikely that you will ever be aware of it. I don't even know why i give you the hint, since i find it very amusing.

But whatever.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#49 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 16:08

3 mistakes yeah ..2S was such a great result, whatever indeed. you dont think WC-exp can make gross mistakes ? It just rare they make 2-3 in a row but its not impossible you know. Im sure they are willing to admit that this hand go directly into the overcrowded catacombs of poorly bid contract.

Do you honestly believe that on this hand it took only one mistake to land in 2S instead of 4S/6D ?

Since we don't know what an initial jump to 2S would have meant than maybe the 2S rebid can be bid on 5-7 pts and north last pass isnt as terrible as I think it is but there is at least 2 pretty bad mistakes here not something I often see at the level I consider "expert"

#50 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 16:49

Is it possible that 1S showed 4+ ? and double is neg without 4S.

This would explain a lot.

#51 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-04, 00:14

It looks like 2NT (g/b) would work well by N over 2H. Now S could bid 3H (must be a diamond fit) and N has a clear 3S bid. At least this would get u to 4S. Doesn't anyone play g/b anymore?

#52 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-27, 11:38

This hand looks like an advert for playing the support double as Hx when partner has shown a 5+ card suit instead of as 3 cards. Might not get you to 6 but certainly gets you past 2! :unsure:
(-: Zel :-)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users