• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An overcall promises what?

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-December-18, 09:30

Do you overcall here?

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-18, 09:49

Yes.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-18, 09:52

14 count with some shaky values, good enough five card suit, possible useful shortness in partners hand. Yes, 2, even red on white.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-December-18, 10:14

I suspect that at the table I would be unable to resist the overcall. However, 2 minor is a very dangerous action on a weak 5 card suit, and this one is weak despite the 7 hcp. Should it go P P x, LHO has a very low risk, high gain conversion available since we get no game bonus for making.

I think the correct long term action is to pass, especially at imps.....yes, I do know we need to stretch to bid vulnerable games at imps, but this hand is a looong way from 5 and I'd like slightly better heart spots to have 3N in mind. If we belong in some other game, partner would have to bid it.

Having said that, I doubt that I'll find a lot of support for this conservatism :P
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-December-18, 11:17

Mike was right here. Overcalling 2D makes you join the -1100 camp, and if you're not careful you go for -1400, but I was wondering if I was just unlucky.

#6 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-December-18, 11:49

View Postmr1303, on 2013-December-18, 11:17, said:

Mike was right here. Overcalling 2D makes you join the -1100 camp, and if you're not careful you go for -1400, but I was wondering if I was just unlucky.

It was unlucky, in two respects. It was unlucky to go for -1100, and it was unlucky that you chose to overcall. :)

Seriously, though, it is normal to bid 2 on these cards, even though, as Mike said, it may not be right.

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-December-18, 15:26

Yeh, we all know why we perhaps shouldn't overcall. And yet we would. Hence, my brief answer YES to "Do you overcall?" in the OP. I think I can claim some nice variances from these overcalls when that little thing disrupted their auction in subtle ways not anticipated. I don't choose to remember any -1100's.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-18, 16:35

View Postmikeh, on 2013-December-18, 10:14, said:

Having said that, I doubt that I'll find a lot of support for this conservatism :P

Fwiw, you have my full support for everything you wrote, including not being able to resist to overcall. And you know i am not a shy bidder. I would prefer a lot of 9-10-11 hcp hands with 6 card diamonds as oppose to this one.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-December-18, 19:49

View Postmikeh, on 2013-December-18, 10:14, said:

I suspect that at the table I would be unable to resist the overcall.

LOL, poor prediction, and I also agree with you that at the table we are all way too prone to temptation.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   madongjun 

• China
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics、sports

Posted 2013-December-18, 19:55

I would PASS here,wait for partner or LHO bid,then decide next time what I bid.

#11 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-20, 03:58

Clear pass for me. An overcall promises at unfav at the 2 level promises a 6 card suit or a (semi)solid 5carder and ideally some shape (Qx Axxx KQJ109 xx and I would overcall)

#12 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-20, 10:58

I'd rather bid 1NT than 2

#13 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-December-20, 11:19

I hate 2D at unfav, sorry. I'd do it when NV and hopefully pass at all vul.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-20, 14:47

View PostFluffy, on 2013-December-20, 10:58, said:

I did not think of it tbh, but i like that idea for this hand.

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#15 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-December-20, 15:01

only a cynic would comment on the fact that all the posters pre-the outcome being revealed would bid and most after would pass. ok, I'm a cynic. It's not that I think any of the subsequent posters are being dishonest, just that maybe it's difficult to be objective once the outcome is known.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#16 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2013-December-20, 15:07

View PostFluffy, on 2013-December-20, 10:58, said:

I'm sorry but this is a far worse 1N than it is 2 imo. It's not that I like 2 but 1N is a huge overbid. We have only 1 heart stopper, our clubs aren't worth 5 hcp, and we only have 14 if they were.

Moreover, partner will bid more aggressively, on exactly the wrong hands, after 1N than after 2. He thinks we promise a bigger minimum for 1N. He may well take us to a weak 5-2 spade fit, or overbid thinking that his clubs will be more useful than they are.

Stretching to make understrength unfavourable 1N overcalls strikes me as suicidal/fratricidal bridge at its worst.

#17 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-December-20, 21:13

View Postmr1303, on 2013-December-18, 09:30, said:

Do you overcall here?
IMO Pass = 10, 2 = 8, 1N = 7.
Not-vulnerable, 2 would be fine :)

#18 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-20, 23:08

View Postmikeh, on 2013-December-20, 15:01, said:

only a cynic would comment on the fact that all the posters pre-the outcome being revealed would bid and most after would pass. ok, I'm a cynic. It's not that I think any of the subsequent posters are being dishonest, just that maybe it's difficult to be objective once the outcome is known.

Let's see if I can trigger your cynicism as well. :)

My instinctive reaction on seeing the original post just now was that there's no way I would overcall (that's a bit too articulate - it was actually 'blech'), and I was genuinely surprised to see the first few posts supporting doing so. The hearts, flat hand, and soft values are all negatives. After looking at the comments I'm actually more likely to consider overcalling as a mainstream call, but taking action here just doesn't leap out as something with a big up side.

Getting tagged for -1100 is a bit unlucky though. Mostly an overcall on this hand at this vulnerability doesn't seem to achieve much one way or another. The opponents are still going to find game or a partscore in either major if it's right. The most common good thing is that you keep them out of a 3NT they would have made without a diamond lead from partner. Call that 7 IMPs. The biggest downside (as I'm guessing is the case here) is that they were headed to 3NT and not worried about the diamonds, which is 12 IMPs. It's hard to work out the chance of each, but needing 2-1 frequency in my favour seems to back my initial reaction.

#19 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-December-21, 03:35

This is a pass and I overcall on light hands. If opener had opened 1D and this were the C suit, I would overcall 2C.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#20 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-21, 07:32

In an unbiased poll I think you would get close to a 50-50 split.

Mike Lawrence wrote about the fact that many of your partners cards are not hearts as a reason to overcall aggressively but that was at the 1 level, say with 5 cards in the minor they open and a biddable 4 card major. All his examples had a 2nd place to play (often 1nt) and this is a 1 trick pony.

That said I would bid once in a while to remind myself why I shouldn't and have seen -1100 in a team game on similar be a push.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users