BBO Discussion Forums: What would you have done? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What would you have done?

Poll: What would you have done? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

When would you bid Diamonds?

1. 4D over 3NT is clearly slammish in D expecting Jxxx (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 3D over 2H (intending to bid 4C over 3NT or 3H) (5 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

3. 2D over 1H (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

4. North should have bid 2D instead of 2H (9 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

5. North should have bid 3D instead of 3NT (7 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

6. Something else (5 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-16, 10:05

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-January-16, 08:41, said:

Playing Acol it's absolutely routine to bid 1

Agreed - but that is because you are much worse placed after 1H:2C [GF] than 1H:2C [F1]. I guess Acol players might be exempt from the remedial education; then again, playing Acol might in itself be sufficient justification for such measures!

#62 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-16, 10:09

View Postthe hog, on 2013-December-29, 19:54, said:

Adam: "If you accept that 1H-2C-2S need not show extras,"
Many, including myself do not accept that. Granted if you do accept it THAT particular problem is solved, but you create others further down the track.

Do you play 1S:2C, 2H as showing extras? If not, how do you solve the "problems" this creates? Is 1H:2C, 2S so different? This isn't the same as a reverse at the three-level, that clearly needs to be better defined.

Phil: This is where there is a difference in philosophy. My partners would expect long Cs for this bidding and may well support Cs on 3 cards. As I said, this is where I prefer a full realy structure.
However I guess you get the point, it is silly to make blanket statements as one poster did, without looking at the b. system as a whole and the partnership philosophy in uncontested auctions.

Playing 1H:2C as natural or balanced, may include four spades, is a really complex method with very artificial continuations. They are -

2D = four diamonds
2H = six hearts
2S = four spades
2N = balanced hand
3C = four clubs

With three-card "support" you make your natural rebid, hoping to bid 3C on the next round.

View Postawm, on 2013-December-23, 14:40, said:

With five spades I respond 1 (exception for 5-6m).

I think most playing this style prefer to respond 2m on (53)(32), hoping to show their three-card support for opener at the two-level on the next round.

#63 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-16, 12:32

My style is a natural style that does not require special agreements; partner opened and I respond by bidding my longest suit. The fact that I choose to bid 2C and not 1S with 4-4 in the blacks is no different from those who would open 1C and not 1S with 4-4 in the blacks.

The concept of suppressing a FIVE card spade suit in order to instead respond in a three (or two!) card club suit strikes me as neither natural, nor common, nor playable without additional discussion.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#64 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-16, 12:46

View Postawm, on 2014-January-16, 12:32, said:

My style is a natural style that does not require special agreements; partner opened and I respond by bidding my longest suit. The fact that I choose to bid 2C and not 1S with 4-4 in the blacks is no different from those who would open 1C and not 1S with 4-4 in the blacks.

The concept of suppressing a FIVE card spade suit in order to instead respond in a three (or two!) card club suit strikes me as neither natural, nor common, nor playable without additional discussion.

Yeah sorry I was probably confusing the implications of [responding 2m with 4S4m] with the implications of [responding 2C on all balanced hands GFs]

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users