BBO Discussion Forums: 5 trumps when partner doubles for takeout - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 trumps when partner doubles for takeout

#1 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-February-01, 19:29

Does it make a difference whether it is IMPs or matchpoints?
Become yourself.

#2 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2014-February-01, 19:45

I'd see pass as the least misleading call, followed by 1. ("Partner has asked me to bid a suit so I will bid one" - is the only justification for 1).
1NT is out of the question on values. Partner and opener have at least 28 HCP between them. It is unlikely opener will sit for either a pass or 1 response.

I like Mel C.'s idea - if partner has shown opening values (TO Double qualifies) then add H+N+L (H=# honors A-10, N=# cards in their suit, L=level of the doubled bid) .GTE. 9, then pass is a viable option. I'm even more likely to pas with 9's, 8's and 7's...Here we have 3+5+1=9. I like pass because I don't want partner leading . If partner has a strong overcall (5-carder?), we should still land on our feet if I pass.

I do not see a difference here with IMPs or MPs.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#3 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-February-01, 19:46

1D and this is not even close. I suggest that anyone who passes is making a very poor decision.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 10:57

Do you think you're getting out for less than -200 anywhere you land? Then bid (I do; it's just as hard to double 1 when it's down as it is to double 1 when it's right). Because you're almost certainly at best -180 in clubs. Responder's pass doesn't necessarily show weakness.

If you pass, what do you do when it comes back rewound? Willing to play for 400 an overtrick?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-February-03, 13:23

View Postthe hog, on 2014-February-01, 19:46, said:

1D and this is not even close. I suggest that anyone who passes is making a very poor decision.

Quite often partner will have a balanced hand too good for a 1N overcall (responder couldn't XX, not sure if that's business in the US, it is here), and I'm happy taking the money opposite that.

#6 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 13:31

I pass.

But I would bid 1 if my clubs were QJT73. Intermediates matter a lot in these situations.

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-February-03, 13:44

I pass at all scoring.

Partner is unlikely to be void in clubs....if he is, too bad. He will almost always hold at least one and will often hold 2 clubs. He will lead a club if he has one: this is the standard lead against this auction.

This is almost surely good for us. Apart from getting us on track to draw trump (which may be difficult unless partner has 2 of them), it means he isn't leading away from his holdings in other suits.

Partner often, on these auctions, has extras: responder passed and we have crap. We hope to make this a battle in which opener is repeatedly endplayed.

The payoff here can be enormous: picture partner with some 4=4=3=2 18 count with no club stopper.

Meanwhile, even if they make, we could well win imps against our going for 200 or more should we bid.

We may well have no fit, and a partner who is going to feel he has to make a strength showing call over our 1.

As for the possibility of a redouble, I don't know what most here would consider standard, but in my partnerships, redouble is SOS. Now, if 1 promises 4+, I can see it as penalty but, if it did, I would have bid 1 anyway :P . In my experience, when a good player on my right converts a 1-level t.o. double, and I hold some 4333 13 count, with say AKx in clubs, we are better off somewhere else.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 14:14

Style factors on the initial double:

I will never be in 1 on a 4-2 fit, pard will bid 1 of a major with significant extras on those but others might be stuck.

Can you stand them running to 1 of a major either directly or after an sos redouble if partner hits it? (I would rather bid 1 than run to 2).

I might pass at mp's on these colors knowing it's swinging but at imps I'm taking a take out double out. Rho's pass includes a lot of hands with modest values that dwarf mine.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 17:00

I am passing all day. Happy to have 5 strong trumps (and a trump lead about 95% of the time) opposite partner on this. I would estimate that they make the contract less frequently than we get doubled... and if they can make the contract they may be able to whack us too.

1C doubled passed out all around is one of the most difficult contracts to make in bridge.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#10 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-February-03, 17:27

partner had Axxx AQJxx AKx x and I passed, 1 went down 2
Become yourself.

#11 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-February-03, 17:48

View PostLord Molyb, on 2014-February-03, 17:27, said:

You were lucky. Passing was an appalling call.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#12 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 18:08

I was expecting -1 to -3 with no game on for our side.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#13 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 18:14

Pass. I prefer to play in clubs.
Michael Askgaard

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-February-03, 20:18

View Postthe hog, on 2014-February-03, 17:48, said:

You were lucky. Passing was an appalling call.

Maybe just for a change, you should consider whether the fact that some pretty good players opt for pass is a hint that maybe pass is not an 'appalling call'. Note: I am not suggesting that the given result is a reason for you changing your opinion...no one hand ever really proves anything, but when some real life experts express a view contrary to yours, maybe that should mean something.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#15 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-February-03, 20:27

View Postmikeh, on 2014-February-03, 20:18, said:

Maybe just for a change, you should consider whether the fact that some pretty good players opt for pass is a hint that maybe pass is not an 'appalling call'. Note: I am not suggesting that the given result is a reason for you changing your opinion...no one hand ever really proves anything, but when some real life experts express a view contrary to yours, maybe that should mean something.

You are right in that one hand proves nothing. You did see that the opps had a decent 7 card S fit.? From 30 years experience Mike, I have found that passes on such a weak suit do not work out well. Still, I am happy that others pass on these holdings and wish they did it against me.
Comments like "Quite often partner will have a balanced hand too good for a 1N overcall" are self serving at best.

#16 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-February-03, 20:27

repeat post.

#17 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 21:55

I don't have a problem with pass but the opponents hands would be interesting if they could/should run out (eventually) to 1. I personally have never sat for the double after opening 1 on this auction and that's over a few decades. Mind you I have sent it back with 50% regrets.

Any further auction would get messy when your partner knows you thought 1 was going down and they are looking at this.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#18 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-February-03, 22:05

View PostHighLow21, on 2014-February-03, 18:08, said:

I was expecting -1 to -3 with no game on for our side.

I would not be surprised to see it make. Also do you notice that most players would bid 1H on this hand. I am sure Mikeh would.

#19 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2014-February-03, 22:36

View Postthe hog, on 2014-February-03, 22:05, said:

I would not be surprised to see it make. Also do you notice that most players would bid 1H on this hand. I am sure Mikeh would.

wrong again. close, this time, but not quite.

#20 User is offline   uhhlv 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-February-04, 01:48

I think you must consider what would happen next. I´d expect, opps play only 1 when West hast real clubs. Otherwise he would XX. So we only play 1 if there´s a 5card club behind me.
But my clubs are so good that I´ll get 3 tricks most of the time. It is very close if 1x is a good contract or not.
passing against bidding 1:1

When I pass 1 partner would attack clubs. That are good news. When I bid 1 he would attack diamonds.
passing against bidding 2:1

When I pass 1, partner might think that I ve much more defense against other contracts. After a XX he might double any other contract bid by the opps. I don t know what to do if the bidding goes
1-X-p-p-
XX-p-1-p
p-X-p-?
So passing against bidding 2:2

1 might be a disaster or might be good. Very difficult to see.
passing against bidding 3:3

Against weak opps, which might play 1 X without real Clubs on West, I´d pass.
Against better opps I´d bid. Why? I think the disadvantage that partner would attack diamonds is not a big problem. First of all Partner might have a good diamond holding for an attack. Secondly when opps bid after 1 I´d expect that most of the time I must attack.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users