• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Passout with 12HCP

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-06, 08:15

In 4th seat after 3 passes and with 12HCP and short spades:
Is it best to pass or to bid (or are there other factors that would change this decision, like MPs/IMPs, rest of your system, opps system)?
I thought it is best to open because you probably have the majority of the points, but other players think it is best to pass without the master suit.

Example:
(P)-P-(P)-?

Jx=xxx=AQTx=KQxx
Jx=xxx=AQTxx=KQx
Jxx=xx=AQTx=KQxx
Jxx=xx=AQTxx=KQx

#2 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-06, 08:42

I don't know if Rule-of-15 is a good measure.
The first 2 hands count to 14... and the last 2 are just barely 15 .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-06, 08:49

Playing a weak NT in 4th helps, means opps have to enter at the 2 level.

#4 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2014-March-06, 08:53

The first two hands contain 3 flaws--fails rule of 15, doubleton J, and only 5 cards in majors, so I pass. Other two hands have only one flaw, so I open. With J tripleton in hearts instead of J doubleton , I open.

#5 User is offline   r_prah 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-06, 10:11

I would open with all four.

#6 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-March-06, 10:38

There are many factors at play here.

The so-called Rule of 15 is that you add your high card points and your spades. If the number is 15 or more, you open. The Rule of 15 was devised at a time when bidders were much less aggressive than they are today.

The main question that you should ask is how aggressive is my partner? My partner passed in second seat. Would he open most 11 counts? Would he open with less than that? If the answer to these questions is yes, then you should probably pass this one out. If your partner might pass some 12 counts in second seat, then you should be more inclined to open the bidding.

How about your opponents? Your LHO passed in first seat, and your RHO passed in 3rd seat. Do they open with any excuse? Or are they very conservative? If the former, it implies that neither of them has anything close to an opening bid, and the hand may be yours. If they are conservative, opening in 4th seat may lead to their bidding a game! (that may be an exaggeration, but I have seen it happen)

None of these hands is an automatic 4th seat opening bid (although the last one is going to be hard to resist). You need to know your customers. I have gotten some great results for passouts on occasion. Sometimes, avoiding a minus score is all you have to do to get a good result.

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-March-06, 08:49, said:

I really do not like playing a weak NT opposite a passed hand. But, as they say, YMMV.

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-March-06, 11:17

View PostArtK78, on 2014-March-06, 10:38, said:

I really do not like playing a weak NT opposite a passed hand. But, as they say, YMMV.

In 3rd I see the objection, in 4th they're hardly likely to double, yes you may miss 110 in a 4-4 major suit fit but +90 > passed out

It's odds on to be your hand as RHO couldn't even dredge up a 3rd in opener and partner is in the most conservative seat in 2nd.

#8 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-06, 11:35

The Rule of 15 was originally 14, as usually in the earlier point count era openers in 2nd seat were sounder. Source ACBL Encclopedia of Bridge, 7th edition.

#9 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-07, 02:27

Thank you all.
Seems like most would follow the rule of 15.
(My partner passed at MP's for a bad score.)
I wonder what the par score of a simulation would be.

#10 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-07, 03:48

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-March-06, 08:49, said:

I tried this and gave up, when I found out to my disadvantage that nowadays you rarely get a weak notrump in 4th and it goes Pass Pass Pass to you.

Rainer Herrmann

#11 User is offline   lowerline 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-07, 04:46

View Postkgr, on 2014-March-06, 08:15, said:

Is it best to pass or to bid (or are there other factors that would change this decision, like MPs/IMPs, rest of your system, opps system)?
I thought it is best to open because you probably have the majority of the points, but other players think it is best to pass without the master suit.

Example:
(P)-P-(P)-?

Jx=xxx=AQTx=KQxx
Jx=xxx=AQTxx=KQx
Jxx=xx=AQTx=KQxx
Jxx=xx=AQTxx=KQx

I would only pass the first hand because that one is the worst.

S.

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-March-07, 05:10

View Postrhm, on 2014-March-07, 03:48, said:

I tried this and gave up, when I found out to my disadvantage that nowadays you rarely get a weak notrump in 4th and it goes Pass Pass Pass to you.

Rainer Herrmann

You play in different fields to me then as frequently both opps are balanced and don't bid where I am, I also have a decent number of 200+ penalties where they do bid and partner has an 11 count.

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-07, 17:36

View Postkgr, on 2014-March-06, 08:15, said:

I thought it is best to open because you probably have the majority of the points, but other players think it is best to pass without both major the master suit. suits

FYP

I am one of those other players, but i would not pass all of those hands in your examples.

If i played weak Nt i would probably open all of them, one has to draw the first blood, after all i don't like paying all that money and play 1 less hand than what my money worth for ! Posted Image

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-07, 18:01

ro15 is for marginal openers. this isn't a marginal opener.

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-March-07, 22:20

View Postkgr, on 2014-March-07, 02:27, said:

Seems like most would follow the rule of 15.

Er... most of whom?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#16 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-March-08, 03:58

I open all 12 hcp hands, I don't care how crappy they are.

All these hands are good hands, their only flaw being poor majors.

That's doesn't mean you cant make1N, 2 of minor or even 3 of a minor

And your defense is good, so you might be able to beat opponents 2 of a major.

Rule of 15 applies only when your considering opening light these are full openers.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#17 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-08, 10:06

The rule of 15 makes the first two pass and the rule of 20 makes them all a bid.

Bergen put a corollary on the rule of 15 along the lines of "or any hand prepared to compete to the 3-level" but that doesn't fit any of these either.

I have tried everything and now tend to open the ones with 3 cards in spades where we may be able to bid 2 over their 2 competition, forcing them to the 3-level and pass the others. I've settled into the 50% range on these but that includes some big losses to go with some big gains. Don't let 1 hand bother you too much but look for a trend and be satisfied with 50%.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#18 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-10, 16:27

Ran a double dummy simulation on Jack to clarify optimal passout strategy including the first two hands from OP. Jack set for IMPS.
Since a sample of 20 showed that hand 1 was clearly IMP and MP positive I weakened it by replacing the diamond 10 with
a 3 to produce a hand as close to breakeven as possible.

New hand J2 432 AQ32 KQ32 Opening bid set at 1 diamond versus pass. null hypothesis = no positive effect
51 positive scores/110. MP average 46.4%. net -15imps average -.136imps per board

hand 1 x's filled with lowest possible spots J2 432 AQT2 KQ32
30 POSITIVE SCORES/50. MP average 60.0%. net 43 imps gives a positive .86imps per board

hand 2 J2 432 AQT32 KQ2
26 positive scores/50. MP average 52.0%. net 15 imps gives a positive .30 imps per board
I let Jack make all the bridge decisions in all simulations except the choice of opening bid.
Opposite hand 2 Jack made 3 negative doubles, made opener bid the three card heart suit and was raised to three--down one
2 diamonds would make 2 each time, would have made results more positive.

#19 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-10, 17:46

"I let Jack make all the bridge decisions in all simulations except the choice of opening bid."

OK what max type hands are being passed in seats 1,2,3?

what max type hands are being passed when nv?

I wondered since I would pass with all of these example hands in 4th seat after pard passed.

#20 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-11, 02:16

View PostBillPatch, on 2014-March-10, 16:27, said:

Ran a double dummy simulation on Jack to clarify optimal passout strategy including the first two hands from OP. Jack set for IMPS.
Since a sample of 20 showed that hand 1 was clearly IMP and MP positive I weakened it by replacing the diamond 10 with
a 3 to produce a hand as close to breakeven as possible.

New hand J2 432 AQ32 KQ32 Opening bid set at 1 diamond versus pass. null hypothesis = no positive effect
51 positive scores/110. MP average 46.4%. net -15imps average -.136imps per board

hand 1 x's filled with lowest possible spots J2 432 AQT2 KQ32
30 POSITIVE SCORES/50. MP average 60.0%. net 43 imps gives a positive .86imps per board

hand 2 J2 432 AQT32 KQ2
26 positive scores/50. MP average 52.0%. net 15 imps gives a positive .30 imps per board
I let Jack make all the bridge decisions in all simulations except the choice of opening bid.
Opposite hand 2 Jack made 3 negative doubles, made opener bid the three card heart suit and was raised to three--down one
2 diamonds would make 2 each time, would have made results more positive.

Thanks a lot!
With DT all the example hands should be opened...and probably w/o DT, but with average intermediates any of these hands should be opened?
The conclusion is that the rule of 15 is letting you pass too often with this hand...and we would do better to open any hand with 12HCP?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users