Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play Problem

#1 User is offline   slothy 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-May-28, 08:24

You play in 6C. South leads the J!S. You take with the Ace of !S and lay down the A K Q of trumps. North follows to the trump pull with 2 small trumps and discards the K of !H on the Q.

I got the ending wrong :( and on reflection know i most likely should have made it.

Plan the play.
gaudium est miseris socios habuisse penarum - Misery loves company.

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-28, 08:55

I cannot think of anything better thn three rounds of and then exit with a trump, diamonds have to be 3-3
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-May-28, 09:25

Deleted original post: the hand is trickier than I thought.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-May-28, 09:36

I had thought we would simply cash the second spade and exit a trump, We'd be ok with that unless S exited a diamond, which would screw us completely when N guarded both red suits, S being 6=1=2=4.

We have to cash the spade anyway. Maybe S is 7=1=1=4, in which case we cross in hearts, cash the spade, pitching a heart, and come to hand with a diamond and now exit a club. LHO has to return a spade and we ruff and cash the last trump, squeezing N.

However, if N follows to the second spade, a competent S will return the diamond to break up the squeeze, which should be easy to work out.

However, a second time, a lot of S's don't recognize squeezes when defending, and a lot of Souths would reflexively play a heart if they have one, because of the fatuous heart K from N.

So against non-experts or even lazy experts, I cash the spade and exit the trump. Against really good players, or any expert on form, I would play for the improbable 3-3 diamonds, since that is the only legitimate line (unless S has 7 spades, but I would know that before committing to the play)
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-28, 09:55

You are missing an ending mike.

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2014-May-28, 10:12

View PostFluffy, on 2014-May-28, 09:55, said:

You are missing an ending mike.

I'm preparing for a month long jury trial so shouldn't be browsing BBF anyway. However, if you are referring to a criss cross, I don't see it. We have the red suit matrix that is necessary, but we can't get to that position, as best as I can see.

#7 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-May-28, 11:14

I cash the Queen and exit a trump.

Here is why in the spoiler.

Spoiler

--Ben--

#8 User is offline   winkle 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-28, 11:26

There is a trump squeeze. Unblock spade before exiting club. South has to exit diamond to break up the simple squeeze. Win ace, 1 more trump, diamond to dummy, and last spade. The end position is below and north is trump squeezed:

- A xx - / - xx - x
My name is Winkle.

#9 User is offline   slothy 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-28, 11:27

Well done Ben!

The point of the hand is not to play for the unlikely 6-0-3-4 hand in South, cashing the immediately (as alas i did) as playing for the more likely alternative 9 card holdings in North where the squeeze is the only legitimate line to bring in the lottery ticket. As you pointed out, the 3-3 split can be catered for anyway.

Well done again.

Alex.
gaudium est miseris socios habuisse penarum - Misery loves company.

#10 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2014-May-28, 12:21

With S at least 6-2 why didnt I finesse clubs on T2 ?
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#11 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2014-May-28, 19:30

I was asleep here, im in the wrong hand at T2 and going to dummy cost an important entry.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users