• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brown sticker or not quick query

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-03, 01:52

Last night, my partner gave me some notes on a convention he used to play and wants to start playing with me, but apart from thinking it's just poor in general (especially the responses), I'm also concerned about the legality of it (especially the 2D opening). Also, using the EBU's convention regulations, what level does it come in there?

2D opening:
a) 21/22 HCP balanced or
b) 9-13 HCP and at least 5/5 in one of the following options:
- spades and clubs
- diamonds and hearts (with better diamonds)
- hearts and spades (with better hearts)

2H opening
9-15 HCP 5+hearts, 5+ minor (when diamonds, then it will have better hearts)

2S opening
8-15HCP 5+spades, 5+ diamonds/hearts

As for the responses to the above, it is HCP-based step responses, and yes, he is obsessed with finding out about HCP before learning more about shape.
Wayne Somerville

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-03, 02:22

The question is if 9-13 HCPs counts as "below average strength" when the shape is 5-5. If counting ZAR points I suppose almost nothing would be a BSC, if the director is a walrus then this is a BSC. I think you could get away with it.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-03, 02:53

Helene raises the main issue, which is the WBF regulation (PDF) and its definition of 'Average Hand' as "a hand containing 10 high card points (Milton Work) with no distributional values". So can an average hand have fewer than 10 HCP if it has distributional values? I'm not sure any of us have seen an answer to this but you could ask the WBF Systems Committee.

My feeling is that the WBF is very focused on HCP, given the definitions of 'Weak' and 'Strong', and its intent is to disregard distributional values from definitions - I may be wrong.

So my view is that 2 is a Brown Sticker convention and the 2M openers are not. By changing the range of the weaker options to 10-13 HCP, then 2 would not be a Brown Sticker convention.

In terms of the EBU, the 2M openers are Level 2. The 2 opener looks like it would be Level 5 as long as it is not a Brown Sticker convention so personally I don't think it will be permitted in EBU events although one of EBU directors or L&EC members on the forum are far better qualified to comment.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-03, 03:05

2M are fine EBU, you would have to take out the hearts/diamonds from 2 to make it level 4 legal, you are allowed any number of combinations of suits provided the suit opened is not among them, the rest is fine.

#5 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2014-June-03, 07:27

The 2D bid isn't legal in the EBU at level 4 because it neither promises nor denies diamonds.
It is also a BSC and hence only EBU-legal at level 5 or in WBF events when these are permitted (i.e. not very many)
If it were 10+ hcp it would be allowed at L5

#6 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-June-03, 08:32

FrancesHinden, on 2014-June-03, 07:27, said:

It is also a BSC and hence only EBU-legal at level 5 or in WBF events when these are permitted (i.e. not very many)

Brown Sticker conventions are not permitted at EBU Level 5 (unless they are permitted at Level 4) as they are not permitted in WBF/EBL Category 3 events.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#7 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2014-June-03, 09:17

FrancesHinden, on 2014-June-03, 07:27, said:

If it were 10+ hcp it would be allowed at L5

paulg, on 2014-June-03, 08:32, said:

Brown Sticker conventions are not permitted at EBU Level 5 (unless they are permitted at Level 4) as they are not permitted in WBF/EBL Category 3 events.

Frances' last line suggests she meant to write something different on the previous line.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#8 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-03, 14:10

Thanks for the responses, I'll tell him next time I see him that it's out, and maybe educate him on some of the regulations (at some point when he was going over the notes, he said weak was 15-, and he keeps going on about there being 8 systems that can be played- something I have never seen the reference)
Wayne Somerville

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-03, 15:44

paulg, on 2014-June-03, 02:53, said:

Helene raises the main issue, which is the WBF regulation (PDF) and its definition of 'Average Hand' as "a hand containing 10 high card points (Milton Work) with [size="2"]no distributional values". So can an average hand have fewer than 10 HCP if it has distributional values?

Obviously it cannot according to the WBFLC regulation. If "no distributional values" is not clear enough, the absence of "or compensating distribution" should erase any doubt.

But the regulation was presumably written by the WBFLC, so I suppose one can never be entirely sure.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-June-03, 17:03

I would take "10 HCP with no distributional values" to mean that if a hand has 10 HCP and distributional values, it is a better than average hand. I would not take it to mean that no average hand has distributional values.

I would accept the verdict of a qualified grammarian that I'm wrong. Or, perhaps, of the WBF committee responsible for the regulation, though in the latter case I would suggest to them that they need to rethink the wording.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2014-June-03, 18:06

RMB1, on 2014-June-03, 09:17, said:

Frances' last line suggests she meant to write something different on the previous line.

There are a few EBU L5 events which also allow BSCs and HUMs (premier league being the obvious example)

#12 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-16, 01:51

A bit of an update on this:

I told him last Monday that he wouldn't be allowed to play that convention. He replied that whenever he made it up, he had extensively checked the orange book to make sure it was legal and he felt that based on reading it that it was allowed. Not really knowing what to say to that, I nicely told him to check it again since it changes every year (though highly suspecting it hasn't been legal in at least a decade) and told him about the similarities to Wilkozc 2D, so he agreed to check again. When we met up again on Thursday, he told me that the only thing that was wrong with the 2D opening was that you couldn't call a 13 count weak and so he wanted to change the range to 8-12. I plan on printing out various parts of the blue book today to try and show him that he can't. Looking at the blue book pdf, I'm guessing it's 7C1 that covers the issue. From what I gather, he was planning to get it through by essentially calling it a multi [8C2(a)2].
Wayne Somerville

#13 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-June-16, 02:06

But Wayne, the Orange book is not about BSC's. Do you follow EBU or EBL regulations in NI?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#14 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-16, 02:41

As far as systems regulations go, EBU, but I was 99.99....% sure that it being a BSC would automatically mean it couldn't be played at club level anyway.
Wayne Somerville

#15 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-June-16, 02:52

Yes and no. You could make this convention BSC proof by raising 9-13 to 10-13 (or insisting that the 9-counts are not "below average strength"). It would still not be allowed at level 4, though. So in this respect, EBU is more restrictive. Also, the Apstro-like 2-openings (2 showing 4 hearts with a canape suit which may or may not be clubs) are not BSC but you can't play it at level 4.

OTOH there are other conventions which are OK at EBU level 4 although they are BSC: You can play any multi-like opening such as for example 2 as showing a 5-card in a red suit.

#16 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-June-16, 05:38

manudude03, on 2014-June-16, 02:41, said:

As far as systems regulations go, EBU, but I was 99.99....% sure that it being a BSC would automatically mean it couldn't be played at club level anyway.

The EBU permits a wide variety of two- and three-level opening bids at Level 4 (which is what most clubs will play), many of which are Brown Sticker conventions. This reflects a basic difference in philosophy between the EBU and WBF: the EBU permits almost any opening that either promises or denies the suit opened which allows the meaning of double to be fairly clear; the WBF insists that all the weak options guarantee 4+ cards in a specific suit.

So common BSCs permitted by the EBU include a 2 or 2NT opener showing a pre-empt in a minor and 3 as a major-suit pre-empt.
The Beer Card

#17 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-16, 06:07

Leaving BSC issues aside, I guess the question comes down to whether or not the 2D opener satisfies

EBU Blue book 8C2 said:

Alternatively, a 2 opening may be played to contain a weak option and one or two strong
options.
(a) Weak option
A defined range of no more than 5 HCP, a minimum strength of 4 HCP and a maximum
of 12 HCP. The agreed strength may differ according to position and/or vulnerability.
The suit may be played as either (i) 5+ hearts; or (ii) 5+ hearts or 5+ spades

or is the above only for single-suited hands?

edit: The clubs I play at use the "old" level 3.
Wayne Somerville

#18 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-June-16, 06:14

manudude03, on 2014-June-16, 06:07, said:

7 C 1 (b) (iv) 2 allows two-suited hands as long as neither of the two suits is the suit opened, in this case diamonds.

#19 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-16, 07:16

manudude03, on 2014-June-16, 06:07, said:

It's not only for single-suited hands, but it can't guarantee a second suit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users